BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well another day on the water. Today in the Little egg inlet boats were so thick you could walk across them from the inner bar to the outter. Fished both bars during the incomming (6:30-10am ish). Not a hit (clams). Few boats near us landed some blues and saw maybe 3 or 4 20"-28" bass caught. Listened to the radio and heard a few decent reports, mostly 24 to 36" fish. Heard of one over 40". Tide turned went to the back bay anchored up with bunker and clams, nada. The boat next to us had one guy on board and lost about a 30+ pounder at the boat. Cursing and throwing of random objects persued. Around this time heard someone got hit in the inlet (hope everything is ok) saw seatow running shortly after that. Got the skunk yet again..... Excuse me while I go take a tomato soup bath.

Luna-tik

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
hey you gave it a shot. what are you to do. the weekends are crazy out there. i tried last sun. same story as tours. you'll get'em next time!

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I need tomato soup also! The inlet was f'ing crazy!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
[email protected]## no. check out google earth. lei is open, no jetties. i'm guessing about 3/4 of a mile wide. lots of bars with deep water on the inside, 40" to 70" with lots of places that are 14' to 20' most days it's not a bad inlet, but it can certianly look bad. there are several ways to go thru it depending on boat size.

·
Registered
981 Posts
oh wow....its like a natural inlet..i was expecting jetties and such

my guess would be that the northern tip of the inlet is the best fishing area.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
anyboby hear anymore about the boat being hit? there's a report of a swamped boat in the surf forum, related?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Luna-tik,

I was out yesterday. Where you near holgate rip? I couldn't believe how many boats where out there. I counted 100 boats in the inlet. You could've walk from holgate out to the sandbar. My buddy and I did okay. Caught 5 fish, 2 keepers slots. This gap rule is killing me. It seems all the fish I catch are gap fish. Nice, fat and healthy to fight another day. I did catch a 24.6 lb, 43" on Friday in grassy.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by johnny d:
Luna-tik,
I did catch a 24.6 lb, 43" on Friday in grassy.
John you are full of crap and if you did why am I seeing spots!!! Ireland is great but I'd rather be fshing. ;) I went to the Guinness brewery today and got a free pint plus another to drown my sorrows of missing out on prime fishing time.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
AFK,
The pic is on Scottsbt for Friday. I didn't say where in grassy. Grassy is a huge area, running from Little beach to 139. :D

Saturday, Ken I had caught 5 fish, 2 where slots. We would've caught more fish but inconsiderate people keep running through where we was fishing and killing the bite. Instead of going around.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Afk,

Did you get my voice mail about your boat trailer?
Nope no phone. My phone is home. I hope my trailer is still sitting in my driveway. It has 3 vehicles blocking it in so it should be safe.

Why couldn't you catch that fish last week when we needed it?

By the way I can not watch the game tonight I have to get updates every 90 seconds from foxsports. The worst part is it starts at 1:30am and I have to be up at 6:30.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. If we had that fish we would've have had 2nd place. :( I do need to buy a bigger net. I had to gill hook to land the fish.

The voice mail I left is can I use your trailer to pull my boat out for a few days this week to repair the scupper on my boat that is leaking. The scupper has a slow leak and leaking water into my bilge.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Luna-tik,

I was out yesterday. Where you near holgate rip? I couldn't believe how many boats where out there. I counted 100 boats in the inlet. You could've walk from holgate out to the sandbar. My buddy and I did okay. Caught 5 fish, 2 keepers slots. This gap rule is killing me. It seems all the fish I catch are gap fish. Nice, fat and healthy to fight another day. I did catch a 24.6 lb, 43" on Friday in grassy.
Yea I fished the inner bar and the outer bar on those rips. I pulled a 20 pounder outta grassy last week, along with a 32" and 33", so I share your pain.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. If we had that fish we would've have had 2nd place. :( I do need to buy a bigger net. I had to gill hook to land the fish.

The voice mail I left is can I use your trailer to pull my boat out for a few days this week to repair the scupper on my boat that is leaking. The scupper has a slow leak and leaking water into my bilge.
If I were home...It is blocked in and you can not get to it. If you can wait till next Sunday I will help you. (sorry) Can another barner help a brother out.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
ok cool :( , but I thought we are fishing on Sunday?

Is there anything I can do to temporary fix the leak? I was thinking about using some Boat caulk.

Have you done a Car Bomb yet? It will kick your A$$ after 2 drinks.

[ 11-06-2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: johnny d ]

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Is it just me or has it been pretty much hot or cold for you guys? This is the reply I made on the "chestnut/great bay" post:

It's sure been a hit or miss sort of season for us here in Great bay/LEI. We've gone out and set up and had 7 fish in the boat. We've gone out the very next day, same set up, and caught squat.

On Friday morning we set up in some white water outside the Inlet. Had a great time, boated 5 fish to 40 inches. Came back Friday afternoon same place, same bait, and caught 9 skates.

I've found the last two hours of the rising tide to be much more productive than the falling tide so far, so that's what I'm going to focus on. Of course as soon as I abandon the fall, it'll turn on!

It seems to me that I can't seem to put any consistency together, and it's been that way for a couple weeks now. It's embarrasing to come home one day with nice fish and tired arms, and then get the skunk the next day!

I guess that's why it's still fishin and not catchin.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts