BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a nice Turnout for our South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers fly tying event. We had 16 persons and our three instructors, Steve Farrar, Brad Buzzi and Frank Mahalic. Each presented a different fly or two with detailed instruction. Then those that observed got to make their own fly with the expert help at their side. Worked out really well as they gave excellent tips on how to work with the materials and how to avoid common problems that new tier would make.

We ordered in Pizza and got to enjoy it out at the picnic area looking out over the bay and then finished off the last flies to be made.

Many thanks to our three talented instructors for doing such a great job. Thanks to the rest of the directors that helped orgainize the event and a big thanks to those that participated. Think everyone enjoyed the day and learned new things.

It was great, small group, hands on stuff. For those that missed it, you missed a good one. I am sure we will do it again in the future

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ditto Ray, A great time. I've been tying for about 15 years and learned alot from Frank, Steve and Brad today. I can copy most patterns pretty well but these guys are amazing cause they come up with truly original techniques that I never would have thought of. When you get this kind of instruction your flies go from OK to OOOOOH YEAH!

[ 04-15-2006, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Splash ]

·
Registered
771 Posts
That was a great event.Went down to the Mullica tonight put the waders on and fished to 11pm.Flat and calm no fish but at least I heard a few splashes.I used Franks spun deer hair pattern I tied today,great action,looks just like a tadpole.Wading the Mullica looks promicing,I"m sure I"ll score soon.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, anybody see my beautiful creasefly. Must of put it down somewhere. Looked through my stuff a couple of times. Guess I will have to make a few more. Brads' instructions made making them super easy. I am sure we will do more of these, it was great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great class. The format of rotating the instructors rather than the students was a great idea. I know I picked up something from each mini-session. Deer hair was not and still isn't really my favorite material. Could never tie a round head. Following Frank's instructions, I went out and picked up a pack of double edge razor blades today and have tied up two with round bodies, compared to my usual thumb shaped ones.
Before the class, I tested one of the large flies, 11 inches long, that I've been tying for a friend. Prior to the test, comments from a couple of folks was nice fly, but an awful lot of material. The test went well, I could chuck and duck it about 25-30 feet with my 8 wgt, which means it should be very castable with a 10 wgt. It took a minute or two to sink, but it went down fairly rapidly. When retrieved it swam straight up with plenty of motion, and just enough flash.
What I learned from Steve's segment was that
I was using too much material, and I was high tying wrong. Now with the correct method under my belt the last four flies I need to tie for my friend will be a cinch.
Brad's segment on the Crease Fly, allowed me to correct something I was doing wrong. I've been tying them for several years, but my main problem was the glue. Turns out I was using the wrong glue, thin Zap-A-Gap vs thick and I was using way too much. Now I won't have to walk around with a couple of Crease Flies glued to my fingers.
What I intend to do this week is tie four flies using each of the techniques I learned and see how they come out.
Again, a great class, even the pizza was good though it shot the hell out of my diet.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Glad you guys had as much fun as I did!
....Great group of guys! Teaching AAA students makes the instructers look as though they know what they are doing... Thansk again for the invitation.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found my crease fly stuck to the bottom of something. Guess the epoxy wasn't dry all the way. Can't wait to try it. Thanks Brad, for showing us the easy way to make them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts