BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if it is possible to catch green crabs in the Cape May/Wildwood area, I have a crab pot and minnow trap, Im also willing to flip rocks. Not sure where to start. Was thinking setting a trap by some rocks but not sure.

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
Ideally you need a green carb trap or pinfish trap. Regular crab trap you might get a few but the openings and mesh size are not ideal. You might want to just consider buying a dozen or two depending on how long you will fish, if you don’t have the right traps.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
yes, if you have rock rubble and a green crab trap you could try setting

·
Registered
180 Posts
do you remember the aluminum minnow traps with the funnel entrances on each side. I used to use one of those with and just made the entrance a little wider. I since lost it, but I used to get the smaller green crabs and calicos and such in that trap baited with fish or chicken. Fiddler crabs work great oo. Take a folgers can and find a fiddler crab hang out during a low tide recon. Dig a hole in the mud in the same area when the tide is going out and "some" land is exposed. Place the can in the same hole at mud level. Put some fish/chicken in the bottom. The fiddler crabs will start emerging as the tide recedes, sense the meat, walk toward the can and fall into it. Only takes an hour or two of waiting after the tide is out. Make sure you get there before the tide comes in to recover the can. This works pretty good. I mention outgoing tide because if you disturb the mud when it is fully exposed and dead low, they take a while to recover and come back out after you disturbed the area. You don't always have to use green crabs, raw blue claw pieces work at times. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you remember the aluminum minnow traps with the funnel entrances on each side. I used to use one of those with and just made the entrance a little wider. I since lost it, but I used to get the smaller green crabs and calicos and such in that trap baited with fish or chicken. Fiddler crabs work great oo. Take a folgers can and find a fiddler crab hang out during a low tide recon. Dig a hole in the mud in the same area when the tide is going out and "some" land is exposed. Place the can in the same hole at mud level. Put some fish/chicken in the bottom. The fiddler crabs will start emerging as the tide recedes, sense the meat, walk toward the can and fall into it. Only takes an hour or two of waiting after the tide is out. Make sure you get there before the tide comes in to recover the can. This works pretty good. I mention outgoing tide because if you disturb the mud when it is fully exposed and dead low, they take a while to recover and come back out after you disturbed the area. You don't always have to use green crabs, raw blue claw pieces work at times. Hope this helps a little.
I'll have to try that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts