BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
There was a charter out of Indian river and then moved to oc Maryland. The boat was named the hammer it was ran by two captains named Jimmy Hahn and Tony Wing. They did ok at times but never great , the stick they had was a smaller model. I have a cousin who runs one in Bermuda , we do good with it when the flying fish and flying squid are heavy. Definitely need to fine tune the gear to run the baits at optimum action

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
when i went to kona, it wasnt marlin time, but the big tuna were around. i chose 1 of the 2 boats there that had a green stick. i was not dissapointed. its incredible watching a huge YFT come up and crash the bait!

i think many use "greenstick-like" techniques at times. ive used the dangler before, but havent had luck with it yet. i think most with a stiff center rigger can imitate a green stick pretty well with a teaser or spreader and a few squids.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have only done it once and it was on the Phideaux out of wanchese. It was like cheating. We ended up taking the hooks out of the squids because we didn't want to catch anymore. If anyone wants to try it. Call capt Jamie on the Phideaux

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I chatted with a few comm guys about green sticks. They said the most important thing is the length. A lot of guys think they can get away with a 130 filled with 200# Spectra or something run off a center rigger. It's not the same.

The true greenstick proves deadly by the action. The way the stick whips around and flexes is what draws the bites.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I chatted with a few comm guys about green sticks. They said the most important thing is the length. A lot of guys think they can get away with a 130 filled with 200# Spectra or something run off a center rigger. It's not the same.

The true greenstick proves deadly by the action. The way the stick whips around and flexes is what draws the bites.

Exactly :thumbsup:

So size does matter !!!! :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
attached is a stud YF i got in kona. you can see the large teaser dragging behind that keeps the rig tight, and the squid on the chair. the mono was like 400# or something huge like that. it was just crank, crank, crank! not much on the fight, i had it in very quick. then right back out. the capt saw $$$, since he sells the tunas commercially.

watching them explode on the squids is just awsome. i guess a bigeye bite is similar, but i havent experienced that yet, so.... hopefully soon!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
attached is a stud YF i got in kona. you can see the large teaser dragging behind that keeps the rig tight, and the squid on the chair. the mono was like 400# or something huge like that. it was just crank, crank, crank! not much on the fight, i had it in very quick. then right back out. the capt saw $$$, since he sells the tunas commercially.

watching them explode on the squids is just awsome. i guess a bigeye bite is similar, but i havent experienced that yet, so.... hopefully soon!
Good lord that's a cow. Wonder what would have happened if 3 of them hit at once.

Didn't they outlaw Green sticks on Rec vessels? I was told that only properly Lic. vessels with a green stick permit were the only ones that could use them.:huh:
Interesting. Never heard that before. Makes sense though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In 2008 NMFS published a final rule (73 FR 54721; September 23,2008) to Authorize Green stick gear can be used by vessels holding a General Category or Charter/Headboat HMS permit.

Rec HMS permited vesels can not fish green stick gear.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Good lord that's a cow. Wonder what would have happened if 3 of them hit at once.
i assumed thats why the tackle was so heavy. accurate 130s with TONS of drag. use of the chair was mandatory.

the coolest part was the captain's prediction of the bite. we were working a large porpoise school that was pushing a wall of bait at about 10 kts. we made pass after pass trying to get the baits "right"... he kept saying "not yet, not yet, we need to make another next pass, ill let you know". he would gun it, and try to get ahead which was tough with the fast moving fish. finally after 2 dozen passes he said "now-watch". no lie, not 2 seconds later, BOOM fish on.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
In 2008 NMFS published a final rule (73 FR 54721; September 23,2008) to Authorize Green stick gear can be used by vessels holding a General Category or Charter/Headboat HMS permit.

Rec HMS permited vesels can not fish green stick gear.
what if you painted it red? Call it a red-stick? surely there is no regs on red-sticking????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.