BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what grunts are.Are they baitfish?do they have another name?I never heard of them.I have seen them being mentioned alot in the cobia post.Also do cobia show up in NJ and what water temp. or time of year are they usually around.I know they like wrecks and bouys and other formations but do they swim in open water,like the surf?

[ 03-09-2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: xxxJOEYxxx ]

·
Registered
169 Posts
i used to catch fish in FL that i called grunts becuase they used to make croaking noises. especially when i started cutting them up as bait.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh,i guess that they are a different name for a croaeker?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Joey -

Grunts are in the snapper family.

Croakers are related to drum, sea trout, and weakfish.

Go get a copy of McClane's Guide to Salwater Fishes. It's green and should cost about $15. I've had mine since I was ~11 and still go to it to settle fish disputes.

Most large bookstores (Borders, Barnes & Noble) have it in the fishing / hunting section.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Grunts are very plentiful in Florida. Great fun for the kids, easy to catch and good to eat. Not much of a filet for the size of the Grunt. We always called them Key West Grunt.

·
Registered
786 Posts
They are all over the place in Florida, the big ones are worth taking for the table.

Caught many grunts late last summer behind Wildwood while fishing for spot along with small grouper.

Start seeing Cobia in these parts around July 4th if the water is warm and they stay till September.

·
Registered
32,485 Posts
I've never seen a grunt this far north. I think you start seeing them from the Carolinas south. They are common reef fish and also hang around any structure. When you dive, they're in large schools around the coral. What people call the Key West grunt is actuall a white grunt. I attached a picture. They're kind of like a snapper but might be more of a wrasse. They're not croakers or drum. I'll have to check my fish book. They max out at about 16 inches but most are between 6 and 12 inches. They taste similar to sea bass and they will gladly be eaten by grouper as well.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I got a bunch of those little guys while crabbing at the end of the summer last year. Just as good as spot for livelining????

RyanF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh,so they aren't croaker.Do cobia come this far north? In NJ i never saw one,but maybe i wasn't really looking that hard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
RyanF, the fish you caught last summer were more than likely juvenile porgys or pinfish. Grunts are not this far north in those numbers.

Joey, cobia do come this far north but only in the warm water months of the summer time. July through September would be the best time to "target" them. Typically not found in the surf up here, more of a boat deal. However, if you would like a shot at a mudshark (cobia) from the surf, hit up Cape Hatteras Point, NC from mid May through June.

·
Registered
32,485 Posts
Just as good as spot for livelining????
I never used them for bait here because I've only caught them in Florida. However, the grouper liked them down there. For some reason, more fish down there preferred similar sized pinfish. I don't know why, I wouldn't want to swallow a pinfish.

·
Registered
32,485 Posts
You hear a lot about Grits and Grunts for breakfast down in the Keys but I wonder how many of them really eat it. Sounds gross to me. Up at school they used to have "kegs and eggs".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts