BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Great program--- nice to see fish being caught that we get in New Jersey. The crowds they get up there in New York takes some of the fun out of the fishing. Looks like no one gives anglers in other boats any respect and that it is dog eat dog.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Tried to get Andy and Paul from the Fly Club out today, but they couldn't make it but Peter who lives right here in Cape May was ready and able as usual.

We headed out around 5:30 p.m. with great expectations, thinking we were going to knock them dead in the back bay with higher water and great tide conditions. WRONG! Went to where we had been getting them good the last couple of trips and found the water 65 a little dirty but not bad and what we thought perfect tide. Worked it hard with a annoying wind for and hour and not one strike.

Moved to a sheltered spot where we got the herring and fluke the other day and worked it for about an hour with out a strike. I was kidding Peter, that there goes our chance for a slam as that was our best shot at a fluke. (at that time we would of taken a sea herring just to get rid of the sunk)

With the wind blowing straight in from the ocean and an outgoing tide we head to the end of the inlet to see if we could salvage out our trip with a blue or two.

Sun was getting low and it was getting cold. We both put on our coats and were almost ready to call it a night after working it for a 1/2 hour with out a strike. Being the diehard that I am I suggested we work the inlet rocks on the inside back to the harbor.

Our luck then changed. Peter hooked up our first fish of the night. A 19 1/2 inch bass that rid us of the shunk.

That warmed us up a bit and 10 minutes later I landed a 20 inch bass.

Now we are both feeling warmer and more excited. As we work our way down the rocks casting our flies so they hit or land right next rocks. Allowing the current to sweep the fly away I hook another fish. Thinking it is another bass Peter tells me to net myself. He wants to catch another bass. (He would of netted for me if I wanted him too.) Turns out to be a 22 inch female weakie. (which we released)

About three casts later I hook into another fish and so does Peter. I get a 22 inch striper and Peter gets a 24 1/4 incher.

We then start getting sea herring and hits on every cast. I even landed our first blue of the night putting us again one fish short of a grand slam. (only needed a fluke) What started out as a dismal beginning ended in outstanding fashion. We quit at 9:45 p.m. with all of our action in the last hour and a half and a total of 10 fish on the flyrod for the night.
Here is the fly that I got all my fish on tonight. Pretty simple but it worked. Peter was using a similar fly with a little smaller hook and more flash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts