BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see alot of talk about the productive nature of gulp baits on this forum and else where ... i am assuming the it is in reference to the *Gulp* brand artificial baits.. if this is true? which types of the gulps are best? and are they really taking over the traditional (live killie/squid )combo?
sorry for my ignorance on this topic..
also do you use in addition to a piece of squid/killie or do you use them alone?
THANKS!
-zar

[ 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: zar2754 ]

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I don't reccomend Gulp shrimp,they are in short supplier
;)
I caught 27 fluke today with 7 keepers ,26 on Gulp shrimp , new penney and white

·
Registered
341 Posts
Both of our store's carry an array of gulp plastics, I've had good luck using the shrimp on a Tap Dancer rig with a minnow at the top hook and the gulp on the bucktail. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Originally posted by zar2754:
are these gulp baits scented????
and if in short supply , where can they be found
i think it was a short joke. evryone hAS THEM. BB

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fished last Tues two of us caught 12 KEEPERS all on gulp twisters white, chartruse and even red it looks awesome on a white bucktail.The stuff is un believable.I would never just use a bucktail with a twister tail,but this stuff is the bomb try it youll be amazed.Berkley said it took them 14 years to develop it and I wouldnt doubt it,give it a shot.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
all the gulps work, even the gulp blood worms have produced fluke this year. all gulps are scented.

we drift top and bottom rigs, and the gulp shrimp has out produced whatever else we have used

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
There's nothing like fresh bait...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Originally posted by zar2754:
are these working in the back bays strictly?
or in the d.bay and ocean aswell?
Any comments on this question? I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to try these baits out this weekend either in the back or at the maul. How would you recommend I fish these baits, especially the 4 inch minnow and the shrimp. Do you just thread them on a top and bottom or use a bucktail or a jighead?

·
Registered
14 Posts
When using these gulp baits...what is the best method to fish the minnow and the shrimp? bucktial? top and bottom rig? jighead? I want to try them out this weekend, I had great success with the weakies from the jetty with the 4inch pick sand eel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fish them exactly how you would your fresh or dead bait.We used bucktails with 3-4 inch swimming minnows,but last year when the stuff was new we used the strip bait chartruse on fluke killer rigs just like you would a big strip of squid on the Garden State south and we killed the fluke it was unbelievable.Its really great no mess with cutting mackeral or any other cut bait.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The Gulp shrimp work great here in the north but for some reason don't seem to do so well down in the Gulf (at least that's my experience). In Fla and Mexico fresh bait outfished the Gulp considerably. Off of Jersey however they work great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just purchased some gulp for the last outing, though last weekend's gale forced winds made testing essentially worthless...I bought the new penny baby shrimp, marckerel and squid; a pack of each. The mackerel and squid, etc. type baits you cut strips yourself out of a small sheet of the stuff. I must say that the strip baits will have thier advantages. Marckerel doesn't have a long life when stripped and fished, but this stuff holds up just like plastic. Doesn't get dirty or deformed at all. Doesn't smell like either of the normal scents though - more like crap
The stuff lasts awhile, so the 6 or 7 pieces you get for about 8 bucks might be worth it unless you got a thing for changing baits often. Curious to see how people that just started using it, like me, are making out. Keep it posted.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
gulp rules!!!!!!! wed trip to sandy hook we had 20 keepers between three fishermen.gulp shrimp caught the biggest ones.fished for hours with one shrimp bait.even when torn up still produced hits.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts