BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the third time using the Penny Shrimp and I have yet to catch a fish on it. I fished the 1st 3 hours on the outgoing tide using half ounce white jig heads(spec rig style). On one jig I put a new penny gulp shrimp, on the other I put a 3/4" cube of raw chicken breast.

The chicken outfished the Gulp shrimp 6 to ZERO. I ended up with 3 keepers up to 24". I bought two bags of the penny shrimp after reading all of the success stories here, but for now I'm sticking with "Perdue Peeler".

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
White,
I will buy them at 4 dollars a pack. :D

While I wouldn't go with just the penny shrimp, I had some nice action on them today.

You caught flounders on Chicken cubes??? never tried it for flounder.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, chicken cubes on a small jig head. Ten years ago or so when the chicken plant workers in lower Delaware started using chicken breast for trout, I caught some nice flounder on it and have been using it ever since. My buddy caught a 44" striper last year on chicken too. I have another friend who is a taxidermist and he uses duck breast with great success. I also tried the white Gulp 3" swim minnows today also with no luck.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
They worked for us today and got us 1st place in the No Bones tourney.

[ 05-06-2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
White meat only....NO Gulp for you! Sound's like White B has become the "Gulp Nazi"! :D
:eek: :rolleyes: :D

[ 05-07-2006, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: finaddict5 ]

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
The Gulp shimp caught our first fish yesterday. But the fishing was really tough and nothing seemed to work consistantly.

[ 05-07-2006, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Flattop ]

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used the Gulp chartruse swimmers on a white bucktail and caught two shorts yesterday and nobody else caught a thing, and people were using bucktails with bunker strips on the Keansburg Pier. I also have the copper penny shrimp and used several of those and nothing. I had caught several sea robins on the mackeral strip bait (Gulp) when at Manasquan last a couple of weeks ago, and also a couple of short winter flounder. I first opened the Gulp shrimp then, and cut them a bit for the flounder, not another bite until I switched back to the mack strip. Maybe it's just a combo of our smell, and the bait that turns on and off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hey Vince,I thought you looked familiar when you came thru my toll booth Saturday afternoon. I work at the 2 dollar toll on the expressway. Congrats on the win!

[ 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Mark Horn ]

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
i use a simple white bucktail for most inshore species and it will be hard pressed to ever beat bucktails,so you can buy your fancy $5 a pack gulps

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great Bay last evening-

Finesse- 0
Gulp blood worms 3 weeks - 5 Blues - 1 bass

3 rods out, only one with the gulp worms

Worked the finesse while I wasn't reeling in the worm

Sheddder or mack on the other Dead stick

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ran out of green crabs togging saturday, new penny gulp caught 4 tog. Woulda never tried it had we not ran out of crab though. My buddy also caught one keeper flounder and 2 shorts.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe it's just me? I have been catching flounder on jigs, so I did not think it was technique. When I live bait fish or fish with large strip baits, I leave the bail open and hold my finger on the line as I drift. When I feel the bite I let the line go and count to six and let the flounder take it. I close the bail pull up any slack the drift has not taken out and set the hook. When I jig fish with smaller baits such as the size of a gulp shrimp, or chicken chunks, I have been setting the hook quicker, usually right away, or within 2 seconds of feeling the hit. Should I be waiting longer to set the hook?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
it depends how they are hitting, but yes, I usually give it a 5 second count or lower the rod and set the hook if the weight is there. No doubt about it, they work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts