BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I did a search on here and read the threads about the Gulp plastics and I have a few questions...

Can I fish the Gulp crabs like live bait and have them just sit there? I assume that you guys throw the Gulp shad and curly tail on leadheads and fish them like fin s fishes?

Any other ways to fish Gulps or tips?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have caught fluke on the 1" crabs with a top and bottom rig just lowered over the side while drifting. I have had better results using the Gulp strip bait or shrimp behind a bucktail. I have caught weak fish with the shrimp using top and bottom rigs also drifting.

[ 05-15-2006, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: maine_sport ]

·
Registered
255 Posts
I found it was best to put the Gulp shrimp on a jig head--(I like owner hooks)as light as possible and work the combo across the bottom..
I left the shedder crab back at the dock and just worked the shrimp in both skinny and deep locations..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I put the chartruse swimming minnow on a 1oz bucktail and caught two, 15 1/2 and 15 3/4 at the Keansburg Pier. I had been casting and working the bucktail for an hour when I just sat down and started jigging it (just goofing off) when the first hit. Nobody else caught a thing that day, not even a guy near me with a bucktain/twister combo and people with killies.

A hint on these, what Berkely doesn't advertise much is the fact that when Gulp dries out, you can revive it by putting in water. Since they're made of fishmeal, not plastic, they still have some scent to 'em when they swell again.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Originally posted by maine_sport:
I have caught fluke on the 1" crabs with a top and bottom rig just lowered over the side while drifting. I have had better results using the Gulp strip bait or shrimp behind a bucktail. I have caught weak fish with the shrimp using top and bottom rigs also drifting.

what did u catch this fish on???

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I have had success with gulp crabs fishing for striped bass. Take the crab and run the side of what would be the caraspace with no bigger than a 1/0 hook. Press a tiny gremlin sinker next to the hook eye on the leader. The weight isn't for action just to get a little more distance when casting and to feel the crab moving through the water column. You can sight fish for striper with these simular to what anglers do for red fish. BUT ONE OF THE BETTER TECHNIQUES IS TO CAST IT FROM THE BOAT ATNIGHT NIGHT AND LET IT DRIFT ALONG THE BOTTOM AROUND STRUCTURE SUCH AS A SOD BANK. Crabs are very underated around here but they are one of the major staples in a stripers diet. Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
little anth,

In the above photo, I caught that fish last year with a pink bucktail jig trailing a pennant shaped strip of pink Gulp with shrimp scent. I used a 5' ultralight graphic spinning rod with an ultralight reel spooled with 10# power pro line tied to a fluorocarbon leader.

Sam

[ 05-19-2006, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: maine_sport ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts