BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Avalon on Friday morning with my two buddies, Joeysandpaper and Dirtysanchez. Used Minnow and squid and 3" Berkley Shrimp in the New Penny color. The gulp shrimp caught more fish then the others by a large margin. Jigged the shrimp on the bottom and caught flounder and kings and a few were torn by the blues. I used the entire pack of shrimp so we would have caught more then we did if we din't run out. I would have never thought that they would work better then live bait but they did on that trip.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Ive heard to many stories from guys for them to be a hoax. I just was down the road and they had every gulp but the shrimp. Sold Out.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
CAUGHT 15 FLATTIES TODAY ON THE GULP SHRIMP WHILE 3 OTHERS FISHED MINNIES/SQUID AND CAUGHT 1

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
USED A GREEN/WHITE 1/2 OZ JIG HEAD AND A 1 OX WHITE BUCKTAIL.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One bag was $6.99 for six...Not cheap but they do last a while and the damn things did work. Just checked Sports Authority and Dicks and they don't have them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Everyone is focusing on the Gulp! Shrimp, but other Saltwater Gulp! Baits work equally well. I have had good luck with the Gulp! Cut Bait hung in pennant shaped 3? pieces on a small (1/4 oz.) bucktail jig and the 2? Peeler Crab on a bare hook. Coming out is a 2? Gulp! Shrimp that I?ve used from a sampler pack received from the Berkley representative. The 2? Shrimp can be placed completely on a hook, so that it lasts longer. I watched one angler catch more than 25 fish with one 2? shrimp. Another winner is the Gulp! 6? Sandworm. Give these baits a try.

PS KMart is a Gulp! dealer.

[ 08-20-2005, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: maine_sport ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by maine_sport:
Everyone is focusing on the Gulp! Shrimp, but other Saltwater Gulp! Baits work equally well.
Yep,here are some of the other Berkley Gulp Baits

[ 08-20-2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'm supposed to have a BIG order of GULP comming in either today or tomorrow. The Berkley Rep said that they shipped well so almost all of the line should be available. The swirl tail minnows are great and the 2" shrimp should be in in all colors.

There is also a paddle tail swim bait that is not shown on the picture above that should really turn on weaks and stripers. If you want to check on availability give me a call at 609-484-0409. I expect them to go out fast so I'll be making another order immediately.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks For The Heads Up Dave....

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Guatemala Dave:

There is also a paddle tail swim bait that is not shown on the picture above that should really turn on weaks and stripers.
Yep,here it is Dave,

And how about this one, a fall time favorite...

10' Eel..

·
Registered
131 Posts
My gosh! These gulp baits are the hottest thing since .... chicken breasts sprayed with WD40!

Funny how fishing is so fad oriented. I'm waiting for a post from the poor SOB with bad eyesight who thinks the topic is using gulls for bait.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Just out of curiosity... do the gulps actually have a different composition for each model??? Is the crab actually crab, eel actually eel... or is is just the same formula colored and poured differently?.....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The Sea Robbins in IBSP loved the Gulp Shrimp on Saturday lol. No lie though, the shrimp would get eaten as soon as I threw it out there.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Good Question Ed,,,

From what I gather the company has come up with this water soluble plastic the uses these natural ingredients and when it hits the water it releases these scents fast...
They also say these baits are 100% biodegradable and will disolve in 9 months or less in the water.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going back to Avalon Thursday and Friday and I might not even take any live bait. They hammered the Gulp the last time I was there.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
fmTuna and NIGHTSTRIKES,

The Berkley representative told me that each scent was different, crab, shrimp, etc, I'm not sure that he knew?

The Gulp! baits are not harmful to fish like some plastic and rubber baits.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks Maine_sport...

Here is another nice catch with these baits..

15yr old Mike Piperato was Spike Weakfishing around a local bridge using the Berkley GULP! Shrimp and Picked up this nice 36"/15lb SummerTime Bass..

Nice Catch Mike !!!

photo courtesy of Scotts Bait & Tackle

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I visited the Absecon Bay Sportmans Center today (8/24). Captn. Dave just received a big Berkley Saltwater Gulp! order. He is expecting another shipment tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Good Question Ed,,,

They also say these baits are 100% biodegradable and will disolve in 9 months or less in the water.
I do know they will shrivel up to nothing if not kept wet and stored in the original bag, that's what I've been doing, an open but sealed bag won't last over a year (this was for a fresh water worm)....and unlike rubber, they'll sink.

Still waiting on the Berkley Gulp Bunker Chunk and Nogg'n pack :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts