BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the color of the Gulp Shrimp everyone seemed to do so well on with flounder this year? I was at Cabelas yesterday and picked up the 3" penny color as well as the peeler crab gulp bait. Anyone have any luck with the peelers this year? Figured I'd try them.

[ 01-02-2006, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Joe D. ]

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I tried them both. You picked the right color. Had luck with the shrimp. Fluke and croakers love them. Could only catch sharks with the crab. I bought mine at cabelas also.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
All of them work
I agree, I caught fluke and weakies on all colors of the gulp shrimp on a plain 1/4 oz jig. Never fished the sandworm but did see them catch weakies at the Point.

In September, I stopped at a Wal-Mart outside of Harrisburg and they were selling them for two bucks a bag, so I bought 25 of them. Thought about it that night and went back the next day and they had shipped them to a store in Jersey the night before. Kicked myself in the arse!!!!

[ 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: LOOPY64 ]

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
any gulp works great. But the 4 inch pumpkin seed minnow works the best. caught over 50 fluke to 4lbs in one day off a pier on them. They also loved the crab, but had trouble inhaling it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i did better with the natural color shrimp, but hopefully this year ill do better with both. caught a lot of sea bass on the nat. shrimp.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I was in Dicks last night in Franklin Mills. Bought some shrimp,sand worms and a white minnow, all gulp baits.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Anyone have experience with the shelf life of Gulp baits; how long they can be stored in an unopened package. I can find them around cheap in the winter but hard to find and expensive last summer. I would start a stash them away if I knew they didn't loose thier scent in 6 to 9 months of storage. The package says nothing except Made In China.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you dont open bag they will last a least a year and half.A tackle rep gave me a bunch to try in 04 and they worked fine this summer.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
how do you guys rig the shrimp on a jig or bucktail???

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
need to clarify, sorry. do you guys thread the shrimp up through the tail kind of like you would hook a crayfish? Just stick it once through the tail??

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I don't think how you hook them matters. The scent they put off just works. I like the green swim minnows myself for fluking. I use a gulp minnow fresh baitstrip and minnow and it was on.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
After several test mixing colors of shrimp I became convinced color did not matter on shrimp

However using the minnow I found the yel and pink outperformed the white or natural minnow

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone had any success with these baits in the deeper water (old grounds, etc) or do they seem to perform better in the shallows? Most people I've spoken with have only had experience with these baits in the back waters.

[ 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Joe D. ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I had good sucess with them on Little Egg Reef and and in Cape May on a charter boat. I made believers out some doubters this past summer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Saw a guy doing well with the 4 inch natural colored gulp shrimp rigged on a white bucktail this summer. The crabs like them too though. Got distracted for a minute or two when I tried them out and reeled in a stub with little chew marks all over it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Gulps dye nicely if you want to change some colors. Use soft plastic dye or even prisma markers.
Made some pink and chartreuse colors using that stick bait type minnow they make(the white with sparkles)
They looked great on the same color bucktails and the fish liked them.
In freshwater I caught some largemouth that won't ever hit artificials ('cause they see them too much) on the green stick bait.
I'm looking forward to trying them in the Delaware river this spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts