BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year you see more different Gulp baits and scents coming out. Many inshore guys like them for Fluke and other inshore species.
Has anyone soaked the assist hooks in them for tuna jigging? It would seem that the fabric tubing and dressed hooks would absorb this stuff pretty good. What results have you had, pro or con?
Likewise I'm sure you could put some cotton or something similar in shell squids on spreader bars and daisy chains.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Gulp / Tuna Jigging

Used gulph about three years now,never for Tuna. However certain days depending on species it works real well. Other Days fresh bait will get the job done. Not as consistnent as I thought ,but this is my personal expierance,other I'm sur ehave thrers.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I always thought of jigging as a reaction bite not a hunger bite. Not sure how much a tuna is going to smell some gulp juice on a assist hook connected to a jig screaming towards the bottom:huh:.

But who knows, I'll take every advantage I can put out there. Glad I didn't throw out that empty bucket of gulp juice when I was cleaning the garage the other day;).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always thought of jigging as a reaction bite not a hunger bite. Not sure how much a tuna is going to smell some gulp juice on a assist hook connected to a jig screaming towards the bottom:huh:.
They say sharks can smell a small amount of blood from a mile away. I dont know how far a tuna can smell bait, or how much is visual, but in jigging the motion should leave some sort of scent trail.
But who knows, I'll take every advantage I can put out there. Glad I didn't throw out that empty bucket of gulp juice when I was cleaning the garage the other day;).
My comments above, but, yes, the empty bucket of gulp juice gave me the idea for the post. It,s probably worth saving to soak something in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kevin - I have had success with the Gulp eels trolling islanders with J hooks on whites, mahi, and small yellowfin. Also had mahi and yellowfin on the large 14' gulp squids rigged as a troll bait. Tried using gulp sand eels on the hook of my diamond jigs, didn't seem to out fish other jigs, but did work.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Question Travalo's

I was never a big fan of jigging for anything. I know it is not really the gulp topic but, has anyone else used the light weight Travalo rods and the butterfly jigs to for yellowfin?

I purchased a pair of them from the Reel Seat Brielle last season, and was very skeptical when buying them. The purchase included a instructional 20 minute CD. My skepticism was put to rest when I got into some nice size fish and was able to work them with ease on a rod not my heavier them a trout set up.

I also used them for jigging bass in the late fall without jigging a heavier set up and really liked it. Can't wait to use them again this upcoming season.

Down side is that they are on the pricy end of the spectrum.

Just wondering what anyone else's thought are about them.

Sorry I think Travolo is spelled wrong.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think scent would make any difference weather a tuna would hit your jig or not. A plastic hanging off your assist hook would hurt the action of your jig though and could turn a tuna off from hitting your jig. It would also make your jig feel heavier coming through the water while jigging and could tier out the angler quicker.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think scent would make any difference weather a tuna would hit your jig or not. A plastic hanging off your assist hook would hurt the action of your jig though and could turn a tuna off from hitting your jig. It would also make your jig feel heavier coming through the water while jigging and could tier out the angler quicker.
I didnt mean that you would put the rubber piece on your jig, more that if you soaked the assist hook in the juice then the fabric out core should absorb the scent. If after doing that, does the scent help at all?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Many years ago I was bringing a boat up from Florida and one of the engines started acting up. Put in at Coinjock, NC at Harrison's Marina on the ICW. Owner Clarence Harrison and his brother Jimmy captained/mated a boat that won the Ocean City White Marlin Open. I spent 2 days with him waiting for a mechanic. I filled 6 or 7 pages of notes from our discussions. One of the things that he told me I will never forget. In his best NC drawl, "I don't care what it is......lion, tiger, **** or fish......they all hunt with their nose"!

If you can get a scent in the water you really increase your odds of hangin' one. Bunker oil slicks when chunking.......cotton balls soaked in bunker oil and then stuffed up insude a squid skirt when trolling (NOT legal in tournaments!).

Gulp Alive might just be the best plastic baits I've ever seen. New Penny shrimp ar killers for flounder, weakies and sea bass. Eels for stripers in the rips. You can also buy just the Gulp Alive juice to replenish the baits.....since the baits are re-usable, I run out of juice before I run out of bait. Remember.....They all hunt with their nose!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I was never a big fan of jigging for anything. I know it is not really the gulp topic but, has anyone else used the light weight Travalo rods and the butterfly jigs to for yellowfin?

I purchased a pair of them from the Reel Seat Brielle last season, and was very skeptical when buying them. The purchase included a instructional 20 minute CD. My skepticism was put to rest when I got into some nice size fish and was able to work them with ease on a rod not my heavier them a trout set up.

I also used them for jigging bass in the late fall without jigging a heavier set up and really liked it. Can't wait to use them again this upcoming season.

Down side is that they are on the pricy end of the spectrum.

Just wondering what anyone else's thought are about them.

Sorry I think Travolo is spelled wrong.
The trevalas work great on the average canyon yellowfin. But, are waaaay to underpowered for 100# fish and up. We have got bluefin to 130# on them, but they lack the backbone for the bigger fish.
You can sure put a whoopin on yft and smaller bft with them though!

They avg. 150-200 a stick. You should see the prices on some of the medium - high end jigging rods:eek:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I hate to break it to you but Trevalas are a budget rod and vertical jigging rods can go wayyy higher in price then them, try as much as over $1,000 :eek:

Thanks Swabb and Sea Bear for that info.

I didn't realize that I got such a deal on the price of the Travala.

And yes I kind of figured that I was in for a hurting if I got into a much bigger Tuna. The pair I bought are the medium Travala's

Still pretty cool to land YFT on such a light rod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.