Gulp vs. Live Bait

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who Fish the Inside Back Bays for Fluke & Weakfish

and have used have used both Berkely Gulp and Live Bait

Which bait has produced more hookups Gulp or Live Bait ? ? ? Details ? ? ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Serious Replies would be appreciated :cool: Thanks !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strong-on-Weaks...... thanks for the comment

Yes I have heard of success with "Motor Oil" Colored Worms sprayed with Crab Oil. The worms were used with a 3 way swivel with two 3/0 "worm" or "circle" type hooks on the 36" leader and a 2 to 3 oz. bank sinker at the bottom depending on the current.

Bob....What are the details of your worm set up ? ? ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Gulp is the bomb! Went out with a friend in his boat today in the Barnegat area and landed 7 weaks (1 @ 22") and 8 flatties (7 keepers up to 20") all on various gulp. I made a believer out of buddy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
OK, I have never used Gulp. I am going out in 2 weeks for Fluke. What Gulp should I pick up? Also do you rig it the same?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Depending on the current and how fast you are drifting a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce leadhead should work fine. Just slide the gulp on the hook like you would rig a worm for bass fishing. Just make sure you get the saltwater gulp because the freshwater is packaged the same just labeled different. I prefer and red/pink or white gulp. I landed a 25" flattie yesterday on the red/pink along with 2 other keepers around 17".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got fluke on the molting crab and a pink spro jig, my buddy was using chartruese spro jigs with a squid strip and molting crabs. We got alot of fluke but few keepers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lefteye......

I tried the White Prime SPRO 1/2 oz Jig with Gulp Crab also....but Nada.:mad:
White Swimming Minnow same Day Same Jig = Keeper Fluke :D .

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Love that gulp!

·
Registered
534 Posts
put a 3" new penny shrimp on my hot hook yesterday fishing behind Avalon, had 3 small cuts looked like small blues bites on it after 3 hours... put a minnow/squid strip and started catching again... only the first time using it, but so far, bait got my vote... testing will continue though, just to be fair... did catch 3 keepers and a boatload of throwbacks on bait... :D

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have seen the natural gulp 3" shrimp catch allot of fluke this summer. I have also seen belly strips catch allot of fluke also.There is no doubt that they catch fish. I think if you match the hatch with the gulp they are deadly. In the same breath I feel if you continually change your cut bait it can be as equally effective.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
71 Fluke

Freaky One
Thanks for the post......

You made a good point....for cut bait to be effective it has to be fresh...or freshly frozen...........and not frozen and thawed and frozen again a hundred times over.

Also when I added the Gulp 3" shrimp (HIGH) to my Gulp swimming minnow (LOW) today we had 71 Fluke.......but only 2 were "Keepas" just under 5 pounds.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
fished in the back today...the only thing the fish would eat wass........drum roll pleassee... you guessed it gulp shrimp..

and i am a believer that all colors work like a charm..
last week caught fish all day using natural color
today we had 3 nice keepers on the molting color
and new penny speaks for itself..

i will be gulping tomorrow moring after i stockkk up!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fished with the 3" penny shrimp for the last to days. Outfished my father-in-law 5 to 1 vs live minnows. I used my stripper fishfinder rigs with a smaller hook.....Got 2 more days of fishing to go...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boatbuilder g

I also recently switched to a fishfinder set up for flukin & it drastically improved my hook-ups:D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
long day of fishing yesterday...gulp fished on teaser and live bait on trailing hook. Live bait was of excellent quality (mullet and large spearing).

The results? Gulp minnow outfished the live bait two to one...go figure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MakeMeNuts

Thanks for the comment and verification that the bait was good quality (thats important and sometimes overlooked by Anglers):eek:
What did you catch and what color was the Gulp ? ? ?:confused:

·
Registered
467 Posts
The results? Gulp minnow outfished the live bait two to one.

But tell them the truth makemenuts-the live mullet outkeepered the gulp 2 to 1

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keepas

avasea said:
the live mullet outkeepered the gulp 2 to 1
avasea...............was the Live mullet the same size as gulp mullet ?:confused:

Ps: Good point avasea .....its one thing to rate hookups and another to rate Keepas.....especially with Fluke this year.......one day we had 71 Fluke and only 2 Keepas:eek: . Thanks for the comment;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts