BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left the dock on Sunday at 3am with 3 long time friends. He got about 6 miles to the HA and set our lines at first lite. Too me, the water looked pretty damn blue and 75*. The only hint of green was when I turned on the motors to leave. After many passes at the HA we decided rto run to Monster Ledge and troll some more. I trolled small jets, small cedars, 3inch spreaders, birds with green machine, birds with clarks, birds with feather and birds with kitchen sinks.

I marked virtually no bait and fish. No mahi hanging off the bouy nothing. Fishing the Moster Ledge, much the same. The water was greener at the ledge for sure. In talking with one of my friends, he did well Saturday with YFT near the tower but that is just too far for my 23 footer. thoughts of the glory hole crossed our mind but we decided to head in and fish the pots on the way back to the hook. The pots we hit yielded nothing. In passing a small fleet of boats on the way in, we decided to set anchor and chunk some blues. We managed to put some blues and sea bass in the cooler for my one friend to smoke.

Chris

·
Registered
401 Posts
chris, fished oil to the ha. had some bluefish and a shark that inhaled my whole ballyhoo rig.saw some life at the monster ledge and then the highlight of the day. a 400 lb class thresher in the flats by the draggers going towards the ha. unfortunately i broke down(vapor lock or siezed piston but couldn' restart) by the ha so that was it. over all there were bonita caught by the oil and some chicken dolphin. got a report of bigger dolphin by the ha but that was it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
juanago-

sorry to hear about the vapor lock. was someone around to tow you in or sea tow? The fish just didn't cooperate for me. glad you got into some. Thanks for the update

·
Registered
297 Posts
It sure has been disappointing reading the reports around the monster ledge....well at least for BFT and mahi. seems that there are some sharks coming in out of those waters.

When I was down there 2 weeks ago we found some small marks down around the thermacline (sp?). But there really was no life and lots of green water.

We hit the pots across from the ML over on the way to Little Italy. made several passes with no hitts then we used plan B. We threw killies at the pots when driving by and connected on our trolled clark spoons that came thru deep a few seconds later.

I have not been to the Oil Wreck area yet this year but do expect to run to that area in a couple of weeks. It will be a trip geared for mahi & bonita.

I am not going to think about near shore BFT up here until Sept...wish I saved my $22 bucks on the permit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts