BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
i am used to used a weight anywhere from 1 to 5 pounds with cut fresh bait or cut sardines or herring for halibut in AK, i did the jigging but i caught everthing but halibut :(

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am used to used a weight anywhere from 1 to 5 pounds with cut fresh bait or cut sardines or herring for halibut in AK, i did the jigging but i caught everthing but halibut :(
Halibut responds to jig very well. When I fished halibut years ago, I caught and released about 40 - 50 halibut on jigs in 30 - 60 lb range on a single trip.

However, I also encountered slow fishing on jigs though they were responding to bait very well.

--------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This is what we used. Caught everything, Lingcod,yelloweyed rockfish and bombers, to giant halibut. Rootbeer color is pictured with the lingcod. Pearl color also work great as well as chartruese.

171 lb halibut caught on same jig:

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Halibut fishing in Sitka Alaska is one of my favorite types of fishing. We use both jig and bait. When bait fishing we run out to between 300 - 350' of water, and dump two five gallon buckets full of coho salmon racks (after being filleted) to "chum" the halibut....after the smaller fish move in and then it gets silent for a few minutes, that is when you know the big girls have shown up to dance.

I attach the same LP disco lights we use for swordfish on my halibut bait line and it outfishes the others literally 3:1.

Have some great halibut stories, but the tops was when my girlfriend at the time was reeling in a 40# rat and then about 30 feet from the surface there was a large tug and up she pulled just the head with a moon shaped cutout where the body used to be....5 seconds later the largest alpha male orca (killer whale) pops his head out of the water, and I kid you not, stares into the eyes of my girlfriend for what seemed like an eternity, only to sink back and disappear into the depths. The orca's dorsal was an easy 7 feet tall....it was right out of a movie. The best part was, she immediately proceeded to drop down another bait and put a 165#er in the boat....she only weights 105#;)

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
453 Posts
I read somehwere that the size limit on Halibut in Alaska has been greatly reduced...kind of like our BFT size limits...Those 125lbers and up are all going back...

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depending on where you fish in Alaska, you fish deep or fish shallow.
When I fished on an overnight trip out of Homer, we fished 800 - 900 ft in Kennedy Channel. We used mono as it was before braid came out.
You can not enjoy it at all. :)
When I fished Montague Island out of Seward, it was only 70 - 80 ft, but current was very strong.
I fished Kodiak Island 4 times because I could jig king salmon there as well as there were lots of big halibut in 50 - 60 ft shallow water. But we couldn't see those big halibut in shallow water anymore when I visited last time.

Sitka is a nice place to catch halibut in 200 ft - 300 ft as there are many good charter operations and the current is not strong.

While halibut is flourishing on the Atlantic due to protection, we decimated halibut commercially on the Atlantic. Sound familiar ? :)

----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
A well known capitain from florida (Bouncer Smith) actually caught a world record halibut on a fly rod in Alaska.....apparently with a sinking line in less than 20' of water. When the salmon migration takes place, the halibut follow the dying spawners, sometimes into very shallow water. Every year in Juneau some kids catch them up to 150# from the end of the dock. A bit different from my tommy cod days under the GW bridge on the Hudson as a kid.

Regs have changed, but the pressure is leaning in the favor of the rec angler. At the end of the day, the captain and mate can each keep a share. So with an average weight of 50 - 75#, you still end up with more than enough white meat at the end of the day, not to mention the salmon (kings, silvers, etc), ling-cod, rockfish, etc.

As mentioned, just getting up to God's country in Alaska is worth the trip, whether the fish cooperate or not (which they always do;). Headed up there first week of September this year.....can hardly wait.

Tight Lines,

Frank

Depending on where you fish in Alaska, you fish deep or fish shallow.
When I fished on an overnight trip out of Homer, we fished 800 - 900 ft in Kennedy Channel. We used mono as it was before braid came out.
You can not enjoy it at all. :)
When I fished Montague Island out of Seward, it was only 70 - 80 ft, but current was very strong.
I fished Kodiak Island 4 times because I could jig king salmon there as well as there were lots of big halibut in 50 - 60 ft shallow water. But we couldn't see those big halibut in shallow water anymore when I visited last time.

Sitka is a nice place to catch halibut in 200 ft - 300 ft as there are many good charter operations and the current is not strong.

While halibut is flourishing on the Atlantic due to protection, we decimated halibut commercially on the Atlantic. Sound familiar ? :)

----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Did you guys happen to notice the video is of Atlantic Halibut? :)

It's really cool how graceful they are. Never figure a flatfish would follow a bait like that off the bottom.

Then again, when I was younger, I had fluke come to the surface and try to take metal meant for blues/bass.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Paul I remember when you got home from the trip and showed up at Leonardo with a bunch of fresh fish :thumbsup:
Brian I forgot about that. I got off the plane and went straight to the dock we had rediculous bassing on the chunk that night.

Here's a better pic of what worked best. All pics were out Sitka AK. Love that place. Fish with kingfisher charters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts