BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just returned from three day fishing trip(07-20/07-24) in Kodiak Island, AK.
As we had rain and strong wind during our entire stay, we had to fish in protected area on a charter boat.

Though we didn't catch any trophy halibut as our fishing spots are restricted by bad weather, we caught tons of halibut on jigs. It was fun to play with 4 - 6 oz Spro bucktails.

After limiting out halibut, we concentrated on king salmon. We trolled using downriggers and spoons to locate salmon and once located, we jigged together. No bait was allowed for salmon fishing.
We didn't catch any king salmon over 35 lbs on this trip as we had to fish in protected areas, the average sizes were respectable 20-30 lbs. We caught many pink salmon and a few coho too.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I even caught my first dolly varden on my jig.

Though the area we fished are very shallow, protected areas, we even saw several whales and caught and released about 400 lbs salmon shark.

After day fishing, we drove to the river for evening fishing.

The rivers were loaded with pink salmon and we caught and released many salmon, and kept a few for dinner. It was basically one fish one cast.

Capt. Chris told me Mogi's group, who is an originator of Japanese style jigging, fished on his boat two weeks ago. From Chris observation, Japanese style jigging doesn't work well for salmon as salmon usually hit jigs when they drop. A guy I know who fishes salmon exlusively on jigs almost every day in summer in Kodiak agrees with Chris opinion.

I am not sure whether I go back to Kodiak again as the weather can be a big problem and I fished Kodiak Island three times already. But I know there are few places even in Alaska like Kodiak.
If I go back again, it will be king salmon river fishing in world famous Karluk River, the other side of Kodiak Island or Albatrose Bank, 70 -80 miles off Kodiak Island where monster halibut live.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I've fished Alaska 3x's.I fish out of Ninilchik,Deep Creek.If you want I can give you the info.I've had Kings in the Kenai to 50 lbs,and we've had halibut to 125.Great area to fish.The last time I went was 3 years ago,the entire trip cost was approx 2800 which included everything from airfare to fishing for 10 days.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lucky John said:
I've fished Alaska 3x's.I fish out of Ninilchik,Deep Creek.If you want I can give you the info.I've had Kings in the Kenai to 50 lbs,and we've had halibut to 125.Great area to fish.The last time I went was 3 years ago,the entire trip cost was approx 2800 which included everything from airfare to fishing for 10 days.
I think there are very few places in Alaska except inside passage area in Southeast Alaska where you can fish on a boat in 30 - 40 knot wind. :)
Those catches are very respectable considering we fish in 50-65 ft water using 3-5 oz jigs in protective areas. :)
But the problem is there is many flight cancellations if weather is bad. :(

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
ksong-

i am leaving for lake ontario in two weeks to japanese/butterfly jig the king salmon there. they should hit em as we have always done well jigging mister twister crystal slugs and fin s fish on heavy jigs once the lake flips. most salmon hit them as we reel the lure through the fish super fast. I am hoping that they will hit the butterfly/japanese jigging method as it is a slower presentation vs the super fast reel of teh fin s fish.

have you tried these jigs on the lake ontario salmon?? Interested to hear your thoughts and findings.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
The Jig master strikes again. KSONG, would you like to adopt a 39 year old son??:D

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Great report Kil! One of these days I'm going to get up there and give that fishing a go!

Kil,
I hope you slay the Tuna today with Capt Timmy on the Clean Sweep! Looking forward to your report and pictures!!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Younger said:
The Jig master strikes again. KSONG, would you like to adopt a 39 year old son??:D
LOL How can you complain !! Didn't you just spend all winter 'working' via phone and computer from West Palm and Sailfish Marina ???

Kil - You need to get a TV show brother! "The Fishing Adventurers of KILSONG" I'd watch you over walkers cay anyday!!

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
jbones11 said:
LOL How can you complain !! Didn't you just spend all winter 'working' via phone and computer from West Palm and Sailfish Marina ???
Yea, but how do I get rides on all these nice boats like you do??:D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lucky John said:
~Is that what a typical trip cost? If you're planning on going in about 4 years when do you need to make reservations? Cabelas seems to offer options, but I'm not sure if they are any good.~

:cool:

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris Gatley said:
ksong-

i am leaving for lake ontario in two weeks to japanese/butterfly jig the king salmon there. they should hit em as we have always done well jigging mister twister crystal slugs and fin s fish on heavy jigs once the lake flips. most salmon hit them as we reel the lure through the fish super fast. I am hoping that they will hit the butterfly/japanese jigging method as it is a slower presentation vs the super fast reel of teh fin s fish.

have you tried these jigs on the lake ontario salmon?? Interested to hear your thoughts and findings.
Very interesting observation as fast jigging is not we used to do for salmon. They say Japanese style assist hooks work, but only when they jig slowly.
I am recently experimenting Japanese style jigging for tuna with great success. You never know until you try it. :)

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Striper101 said:
Great report Kil! One of these days I'm going to get up there and give that fishing a go!

Kil,
I hope you slay the Tuna today with Capt Timmy on the Clean Sweep! Looking forward to your report and pictures!!
I thought you or Timmy was going to post it. :) I'll do it. :) It was a fun trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts