BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do the hand helds get as good reception as the fixed mounts? I have a hand held that cant really get any people on the line, but the weather comes in great? whats the deal is it me or my unit?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
***SRY WRONG THREAD*****

[ 06-16-2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: fishinphanatic12 ]

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I have/had a hand held for my CC but it ate batteries and range was horrible. Do yourself a favor and get a fixed mount and antenae if you have the room.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It is usually a matter of the antenna not haveing the power on a handheld. You get the weather b/c of there outrageous output. Ditto on what finaddict5 says.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
VHF units are line of sight for distance. The wattage output of a hand held is 3 watts on low power and 5 watts on high power. Than factor in the hieght of the anttenna and on a good day you can get out about 5 miles. Fixed mount units are rated for 25 watts on high power and 5 watts on low power and on a good day with a 8' anttenna properly mounted gets out about 25 miles. The higher the anttenna the more distance. I have a hand held with an adapter for a 8' anttenna that is mounted up in a tree about 30' and it still only gets out about 5 miles at 5 watts but on a good day I can hear guys out 50 miles. I can't transmit that far but I can hear them.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Verse,
I am going to move this over to the TackleBox
Forum ALso,to get you some more responses...

Thx,
NS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts