BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a user friendly, basic GPS chartplotter.
Mostly for near shore and back bay, nothing fancy.
Any reccomendation for a brand/model would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Garmin

I have had Lowrance, Garmin, Fururno and Raymarine. Of them all I was most impressed with Garmin. I have a Raymarine on my 23 ft and a Garmin 540 on my 17 Mako and an etrex that I carry in the woods. The etrex is ok but I wish I had gone up a little in the size and features. Of all the stuff I owned Garmin was the easiest to operate and worked well.

Furuno was overpriced and didn't work well. Ray is OK but not as user friendly as my Garmin.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have a Garmin Rhino 110, it's getting old now but is perfect hunting and fishing. I use it in my Yak more to mark spots instead of navigation...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Garmin all the way, I have had 1 for 3-4 years and it never lets me down. I put my ff on the c80 and use the handheld for nav. They sell dash mounts and accessory cords for them. The program for the computer is great too:thumbsup:

·
Vendor
944 Posts
Garmin, hands down! I've had a handheld GPSmap 76 for 10+ years and still use it today! In terms of new the GPSmap 78 series are handhelds that are marine friendly which is probably what you want to look at if you want to use on the water. There are also the Dakota, Oregon, and Montana series and the GPSmap 62 series. Just depends on what you want in features and what your budget is.:thumbsup:

·
Vendor
296 Posts
I have the gatmin colorado handheld on the boat as a backup. Just in case. My budyy has the garmin oregon. The oregon is a nicer unit because it is touch screen. Cant go wrong with the handheld garmin units. I dont have any experience with other brands so cannot say good or bad.
Good luck with the gps hunt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I too have a Garmin 76cx, and bought a mount for it. It is the only gps I have on the boat(20cc, mostly fish within 5 miles of the beach). I find it is easy to use and easy to see, and it gets me where I want to go. I used to change the chip and use it in the car too, but then I got a droid razr and don't need it there anymore. It will run about 8 hours on two AA batteries, or you can get a power cord and run it right off your boats power.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Another nice feature, Garmins are easily up/downloaded to your computers.

So with one special cable and Waypoint Manager, all your waypoints can be saved to your PC and displayed on a map (or placed into google earth).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Another nice feature, Garmins are easily up/downloaded to your computers.

So with one special cable and Waypoint Manager, all your waypoints can be saved to your PC and displayed on a map (or placed into google earth).

This is a great feature...you can add waypoints to your computer like lumps, wreck numbers, etc. and download to your handheld. Makes it a lot easier than trying to use the little screen. Then it makes it easy/fun to upload your tracks and marks from the weeks fishing and manage them how you want on your lap top.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate the info

Thank you all very much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts