BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a place in ww crest about a half a block to beach. I am looking for a good vhf that I can hear the chatter at cm reef? Is this possible? If so, looking for some recommendations.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Bought a place in ww crest about a half a block to beach. I am looking for a good vhf that I can hear the chatter at cm reef? Is this possible? If so, looking for some recommendations.
We have had this discussion on here many, many times... you are better off getting a scanner from radio shack!!

Handhelds have terrible antennas, and loose reception quick behind trees and houses.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
You'll be able to hear some chatter from the guys with good outputs...but not all and trying to transmit to them will be real hit or miss (legally not allowed to transmit as a shore station)....

You could get a fixed mount unless you specifically want a handheld. Even then with the handheld...get an antenna adapter for the handheld and get either a short stainless whip or a full sized 8' VHF antenna. Either will dramatically improve reception.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
we once talked to somebody on the beach with a hand held, while we were in the canyon! HOWEVER Hh's are good for 3-5 miles max under normal conditions.

BUT if you get an VHF antenna and a antenna connector, you'd be amazed at it's range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.