BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Harpoontang headed out this morning from Faunce Landing aboard the MISCONDUCT amid calm waters and a soft breeze. The crew consisted of the Captain (the boats namesake), John from Pop?s Fishing, and me. Target species - Paralichthyus dentatus (a.k.a. flounder). Because of the upcoming JCAA Flounder Tournament (June 10) I will not divulge the location of our exploits but it?s safe to say ?local waters? accessible from Faunce?s Landing boat ramp.

As indicated above, the day started out great, perfect weather. At the first spot we stopped on the very first cast from me, BAM, fish on! I put the boots to the beast and crossed its eyes with the hook set. It will be a long time before that blue claw crab grabs another jig bait. But on the second cast I felt that familiar tap tap of the rod tip. I set the hook and reeled in the first flounder of the day. But as Harpoontang tradition the fish measured 16 3/8?. But hey, we?re only 10 minutes into fishing and we?re into flounder action.

Off and on throughout the morning we had action. In all, total count were 8 flounder (1 keeper at 19.5?), 1 snapper blue, 1 sea robbin, 2 skates and a small shrub, more like a small tree. (I think it had Christmas ornaments on it?)

We used a variety of fishing set-ups but the hot rig was a chrome ball jig and 3? Gulp penny shrimp. Once the wind got to the point where we were trolling more than drifting we called it a day around 12:30pm and began celebrating our first keeper flounder of the year. (Actually that was just an excuse to have another beer.)

Until the next report, good day and good fishing.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nice report Flattop......Glad to see you're still catching shrubbery.... :D

Good luck in the JCAA.....See you there!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I look forward every year to the "Harpoontang Report".

The fishing sucks, but the reports make it all worth while. Always good reading. 95% of the time I'm with Flattop, but the reports have me on the edge of my seat.

Always a good time, with a fine crew. :cool:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volkanman,

Belive it or not I didn't catch the tree. But I did put a hurt'n on that crab on the first hookset.

I copied the set-up you guys started off with at the No Bones Tournament. The one with the teaser rig. Also, I used gulp bait and the gulp is what I caught all my fish on. So I have to give you, Snichols and Lunchman props for showing me that rig.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AJ,

If it's reeled in it will be reported. There'll be no bush-itting in our reports.

[ 05-21-2006, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Flattop ]

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Glad the Harpoontang are hitting it hard out there.....and some fish to boot! Congrats.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Flattop...what no rags, conchs or seahorses?

Glad you guys had some action and happy that the dropper rig worked for you.

Looking forward to the next time we can get together to wet a line & drink a few brews.

[ 05-22-2006, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: snichols ]

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Great read Flattop and any day on the water with friends and a couple cold ones is a good day :D

We were out on Saturday and it was tough fishing with the 15-20 w*nds, but had a good day with my father. Couple of keepers and handful of throwbacks and did our best in warmer waters on Gulp baits.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DP,

Any day on the water is a good day. You out of Port Norris now? If so, when do you move over to where Misconduct is located at Absecon Bay Sportsman?

Jack,

I'm gland we bring you joy and amusement with our reports. Anyone can tell stories about the fish they caught. Who on this board can make it exciting to read about catching throw back fish, crabs and shrubbery? Also, any day I get to fish is a day worth celebrating.

Partnership,

The Harpoontang just don?t go to socials and deplete the bar stock, we do fish. And occasionally we catch a keeper too.

Steve,

We?ll get together and fish again. And something tells me there will more than likely be beer around.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by Flattop:
DP,

Any day on the water is a good day. You out of Port Norris now? If so, when do you move over to where Misconduct is located at Absecon Bay Sportsman?

Jack,

I'm gland we bring you joy and amusement with our reports. Anyone can tell stories about the fish they caught. Who on this board can make it exciting to read about catching throw back fish, crabs and shrubbery? Also, any day I get to fish is a day worth celebrating.

Partnership,

The Harpoontang just don?t go to socials and deplete the bar stock, we do fish. And occasionally we catch a keeper too.

Steve,

We?ll get together and fish again. And something tells me there will more than likely be beer around.
We've been fishing Absecon since opening day of flounder. I havent dropped the boat off in Absecon just yet just in case the Del Bay turns on again like it did this time last year for flounder. With the way the w*nd has been blowing, its been nice to fish the back bay and you can always get out in the back and dont have to get beat up to get out. One of the advantages of fishing the back bays. I'll be down again on Monday and will be leaving the boat in a few weeks. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Harpoontang :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts