BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be heading down there.in about a month. Has anyone been? Obviously I want to try and get some Sails on a fly but I also would like to explore the surf and the inshore fishing.

Does anyone know any good sites to do research at? Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
Funny, I am heading down there in April for the 1st time and wanted to ask the same question. Let me know if you find anything. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Supafly,
35 days and counting . The family and I are headed down to CR for about a month (Feb - Mar). My wife is a tica so we stay with family in Liberia (upper NW). I have been going down every year for the past 18 years and only recently started fly fishing. I mostly hit the local honey holes with relatives or offshore fish with conventional gear while down there. I would be happy to try and answer some questions about fishing, sites, food etc. Some general info: In the mid-pacific side Quepos and Los Suenos will put you on to multiple sails (great fishing Feb-Mar). A little further north Playa Carrillo there are some good boats and crews (I stick with Capt Rob). The nice thing about Carrillo is it is far enough away from Los Suenos so the prices drop some and the fish are not as pressured. I think your chances are better in Carrillo. Besides the trip to the fishing grounds is short at Carrillo and Suenos. Any further north (upper north west) i.e. Playas Coco, Panama, Flamingo, and Hermosa are subject to high winds Feb to late March. Still decent fishing there when a window opens up. Also, the winds seem to dirty the water and drive in cooler water this time of year. The back bays are the place to fly fish as these are protected from the wind and offer shots at-snook, roosters, all sorts of pargo (Snapper), mackeral, and even small tuna. Tons of jacks this time of year up north. We charter pangas and inshore fish all day for $75.00 to $100.00 tip included. I just thumbed through one of my fly magazines Fly Fishing in Saltwater Nov/Dec 2004. They did an article on CR. Give me a fax # and I'll fax it to you. Also in the article they recomend visiting www.flyfishinsalt.com for a list of charter infofor CR. I have never been south to Golfito but recently ran into a guy at a fly show who worked for crocodile Bay Lodge and ties a killer rooster fly which he had tested and developed while there for several years (and of course I stocked up on these). Another place I can't help you with is the Carribean side. I have never been there. What I do know is that you can drive from San Jose to Limon (deep south east) and then a little further north. All the great (I mean world class from the sounds of it) Tarpon and snook fishing happens in the Central and North east. Forget about driving there, there are no roads, you must fly in. I have heard that these lodges are wonderful, expensive, and run well. That's what I have heard. As far as gear goes I bring my own. Got to go, hope this helps and let me know if you need more info.
Tight Lines and Pura Vida,
Joe

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good point. My next questions was if it is safe to wade...I won't be in Kansas anymore watch out for the Crocs!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Longshanks,
Wading in the ocean is not a problem. I have only seen one croc in 18 years on a beach. Stay out of the rivers though. The Tempesque River holds lots of snook and guapote just don't wade in.

By the way you said I've got mail... Where??? Feel free to email me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys. I am not sure if I am definitely going. I will post back for more if I am.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts