BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sick Catch!! Nice Job!!

I do understand your point. If they intend to keep all that for themselves then it will def go bad. I have personally been on this boat and massacred them!!! :) I have allot of friends and family and I must have given away over 100 pounds of loins!! Blackfin is very similar to yellowfin and I cant get enough. Capt Ken is a great Capt and excellent jig fisherman among other fishing tactics!!!:bow: I intend on getting out with him for some BFT actions in the near future!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree he is a great Captain. Blackfin is good, but I really don't think blackfins is as good as YFT and does not freeze as well. Good for them and I hope they enjoy. I wish I was down there jigging them up!
I have been on other charters down there when they tell you that sharks and jacks are good eating to keep the charter happy when the tuna are not biting. That did not pan out on the grill. That was a waste of fish.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I agree with you in principle as well but why crucify people that you don't know? Do you know their intentions? Maybe they are bringing back fish for friends and family? Maybe they only meat fish once or twice a year. They might only do a offshore trip once or twice a year. Unfare to criticize.

As long as the fish will get used, I don't have a problem with people keeping an abundance of fish within regulations. Key point "within regulations"!

Afterall, its not like these were 80-100lb fish.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's why god made mason jars....blue fin, black fin, yellow fin, you can CAN it for over a year and it makes the best sandwiches, salads or even just seasoned preserved tuna you would ever want to eat.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't say I was crucifying them. I said I was happy for them. I agree they were not big fish, valid point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Limits

Kenny tries to keep catch at a minimum,but as always charters like to keep as much as possible,there is no rec limit on blackfins ,so paying customers take advantage of that. Most any time the captn, limits the charter if possible,here in hatteras the charter fleet has set many limits on our own which we all abide by. Also I dont know of many yft being relased after a long day or two of Chunking.Conservation is beneficial to all anglers private or charter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kenny tries to keep catch at a minimum,but as always charters like to keep as much as possible,there is no rec limit on blackfins ,so paying customers take advantage of that. Most any time the captn, limits the charter if possible,here in hatteras the charter fleet has set many limits on our own which we all abide by. Also I dont know of many yft being relased after a long day or two of Chunking.Conservation is beneficial to all anglers private or charter.
Agree 100% with that notion. It's a shame this concept of "limiting out" exists. Why kill as many fish as you're allowed to rather than take what you really need and release the rest? Most fish eventually goes south after sitting in the freezer for 6-12 months. It all comes down to what we teach our kids about conservation. Personally, I like the captains who hate to clean fish and as a result proceed to release all fish without asking. After catching a 40lb striper one year, I had a capt tell me "you don't really want to kill this fish, do you? You should see how many eggs she lays every year!"

·
Registered
592 Posts
What if that is the first trip those guys went on and actually caught something???? I do not think blackfin has limits, so good for those guys. Hope my catch looks as good when I go. Could be possible that they are trying to keep enough fish to last until summer, which is their legal right. With sooooooo many restrictions on fishing now, its nice to see someone actually land a big catch without nets involved. Enjoy the fishing while you can. Best advice for all is to just enjoy the pictures and pretend you were catching them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's no reason to kill that many fish! You could have a couple homeless shelters, soup kitchens and still not need this amount of fish!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I wonder what the bill was to have them cleaned at the dock.?

·
Banned
397 Posts
I wonder what the bill was to have them cleaned at the dock.?
This is what I was thinking. Last time I was down there I was checking out the prices. It was like 40 cents a pound or something like that to have your fish cleaned.

Don't despair tree-huggers most groups don't keep that many blackfin a second time down there.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Without knowing all the details, why chastise the anglers

Maybe they took the fish home whole

Maybe they have a big family

Maybe they have a lot of friends

Who knows, answe nobody but them

Maybe one of them was an expert fish cleaner

The answer is no one knows

It seems lately that a guy makes a good catch, he keeps them then gets thrown under the bus keeping his legal limit, repeat legal limit

Maybe he is stocking his freezer

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Most fish eventually goes south after sitting in the freezer for 6-12 months.
Fish doesn't usually make it more than a week or so in my freezer, unless I hide it :eek:

Even when I come home with 50lbs of Tuna and 20 lbs of mahi... it is usually gone in a month

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
remember... lots of big YF hit the dock this year up your way. hard to say if the poundage was the same, but its the principle, and the dock photos looked pretty similar. many boats went out repeatedly and limited each time. same situation. i dont think tuna is that bad, but black drum in de bay have suffered the worst. thousands of pounds of drum hit the dock and usually wind up in the dumpster, woods or some other place.

sometimes we have to save ourselves from ourselves.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That is just ridiculous, we all love to catch and eat fish but it just seems that keeping that many fish is just absurd I don't care what there reason or situation is. Anyone who thinks this is ok, needs to realize that, it is that attitude that will empty the ocean. Conservation is everyone's responsibility to promote, not just the greenies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
fish cleaning

My first time to Hattaras I was shocked at the fish cleaning process!! I don't care what they think about me...I'll clean my own at those prices!!! 400 to process my 900 pounds of blackfish.....no thanks!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts