BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
to much

to muck reading and big words for me gunna wait for the movie.
relay thought i,m sure many guys will understand it better then me.
i,ll wait and read there take on it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We just want the bottom line! 7 day permit or annual with closures as "they" feel needed. No more free ride. How many permits do they have to sell just to pay the lawyers that wrote that document?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Just another way to tax. The ability to drive on the beach in Hatteras has been a large part of the attraction of the area and charging $50 or more is going to really cut back on that. We go for a week around the end of May each year but do not use the beach access by vehicle much anymore. This is really going to hurt the local folks especially in the back pocket. Looks like the radical environmentlests have gotten their way to a large extent again. Maybe if we started riding horses and eating grass they will finally be happy. I hope that the Hatteras residents find a way to fight this nonsense and get things back to what they had been, just do not see much chance of success at that. :(

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
These "final" regs should have been adopted many years ago. The fact that the park service was operating under temporary regs gave ammo to Audubon and Defenders of Wildlife to get the injunction that ultimately led to the Consent Decree presently governing orv access. The birders had the park service nailed because of this oversight and the park service had no choice but to settle under duress or risk losing access altogether. I am all for protecting wildlife and as most hatteras regulars know, there was very little disrespect for the beach or abuse of the dunes etc. over the many years the temporary regs have been in place. While the Consent Decree provided that the court retained jurisdiction to review any violations, hopefully now that these regs are final, the case will be dismissed altogether. I read thru the regs, and they do not appear to be unreasonable, except we will have to wait to see how much the permit fee will be, and I would not be surprised if it costs about the same or just over the cost of the 10 day fishing permit. It better not exceed $25 or we will see the next wave of uprising. It will also be interesting to see how the education program will be implemented, probably will be required reading with an "I Accept" before the permit is issued for online applications. Probably be a flyer for in person purchases at the tackle shops. The feds should take all the fees generated by the permits and give the money to all the local businesses that suffered through this horror, but that would only be the right thing to do. I will try to get more info and will post any updates.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
Well, after reading some more information, it turns out that there will be a permanent closure of about 26 miles out of the 67 miles of beach. The closures may be at some prime fishing areas. The permit cost will range from 90 to 150 bucks for an annual permit and 30 to 50 for a weekly permit. The fee difference will likely be related to residency. A 7 minute video is required watching and i think it will be presented at visitor centers. No other permits will be issued, e.g., a 2 day permit. I foresee long lines to watch the video especially on a sat/sun check-in. From what i have read on an OBX tackle shop forum, these new rules will have a severe negative impact, not only on business, but congestion and traffic at those parts of the beach that will remain open, along with frustrated visitors who will have to watch a video. Someone visiting for a long weekend will have to buy a 1 week pass. These new rules go into effect Feb. 15. After learning more about the negative impacts of the rules, i am seriously concerned, especially when the Defenders of Wildlife have applauded the new rules in a news release. I think people will still go, but it will be different and more difficult to fish, surf and just simply drive on the beach which is one of the main reasons everyone goes down there. :(

·
Registered
589 Posts
My family has gone to Frisco in both early April and early November for a Sat to Sat weekly rental (strictly fishing) the last I'd say 5 years straight. (Me, wife, child, dog, and in-laws). The Point and Hatteras inlet are the primary fishing locations for us.

Last April the point was closed to driving so we walked the couple miles for the great flounder bite on Mon and Tues only to then have them close it to pedestrians too, (on Weds I believe). Due to that I already decided that we will try for a November trip. Going somewhere else this March or April, maybe Florida.

It would have stung to pay for two separate weekly passes! Also, any word if Hatteras inlet is gonna be closed permanently to vehicles? That was talk I heard.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
My family has gone to Frisco in both early April and early November for a Sat to Sat weekly rental (strictly fishing) the last I'd say 5 years straight. (Me, wife, child, dog, and in-laws). The Point and Hatteras inlet are the primary fishing locations for us.

Last April the point was closed to driving so we walked the couple miles for the great flounder bite on Mon and Tues only to then have them close it to pedestrians too, (on Weds I believe). Due to that I already decided that we will try for a November trip. Going somewhere else this March or April, maybe Florida.

It would have stung to pay for two separate weekly passes! Also, any word if Hatteras inlet is gonna be closed permanently to vehicles? That was talk I heard.

As far as I know it already is. Last time I was there the back side of the inlet was open down to a certain point, but you could not even walk to the inlet itself either on the front side or the back. That was spring of 2010.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As far as I know it already is. Last time I was there the back side of the inlet was open down to a certain point, but you could not even walk to the inlet itself either on the front side or the back. That was spring of 2010.
In early April 2011 Hatteras Inlet and the Point were both totally closed. In November 2011 when I went back both were open to vehicles. I will evaluate my future vacations and consider all of these things before going.

Its a damn shame, I love my trips there but I must admit even the fishing has sucked in my last two trips. Add in all of these other factors and :thumbsdown:.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
There is a good ( but read very bad:() article in today's edition of Island Free Press that explains the permanently closed areas delineated by ramp # and a couple of map links. Hatteras Inlet is off limits now. Log onto IslandFreePress.com to check it out.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
There was a fed press release on the permit fee today. $120 for the year, $50 for 7 days. Thinking about paying with pennies. That's 100 rolls for the week. Just unbelievable what is happening down there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hatteras fishing is poor

The fishing there has been poor for almost fifteen years. This will not be the final nail in their coffin. Hatteras has been in a slow but steady decline for a long long time. The beach access issue should have been addressed many years ago and the delay has cost them dearly. People will not drive all the way down there for skates, dogfish and the skunk. Short sighted resource management has doomed that fishery more surely than an ORV fee or closures.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
CHAPA, a project of the OBPA, filed suit on Feb 9 to challenge the final NPS regs. This time the suit is in federal district court in the District of Columbia and out of the reach of the liberal judge assigned to the original case filed by Audobon. Anyone who fishes in Hatteras should consider sending a donation to CHAPA (Cape Hatteras Access Preservation Alliance) to assist in the legal challenge to keep the island alive. The islandfreepress.com has the details.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This is going to take time and money.:fighting: Sending donation:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Please write your congressman asking that they support this bill!

North Carolina Congressman Walter B. Jones today introduced House Bill H.R. 4094 to preserve pedestrian and motorized vehicular access to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Access to the seashore is now severely limited due to the implementation of the Final Rule from the National Park Service, which went into effect on February 15, 2012. The controversial rule was issued by the Park Service in spite of an outpouring of public comments in support of reasonable recreational access.

You can go to this link to look up your congressman
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/findyourreps.xpd?state=NJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts