BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kicking around an idea with Phil and would like some input.

With our $$$$$$ for the adoptions of stripers would you all think it would be good and interested in adopting a Bass Barn striper for a grade school along the coast for their own naming and tracking. Of course all can track it but to donate it to the school in our name. Let me know either way, we are up over $1000.00 already and still guys are sending in money. Also who would know what schools have the internet in class for this idea. I would say a lower grade would be best maybe 2nd through 5th grade.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Chum
My wife is a 4th grade teacher at Dennis Twp Elem.
She said she is starting the Oceanography section of her science class in a month and something like that would be great for her class. They even bring in commercial fisherman to explain thier type of fishing.Many of the student's parents are commercial,sport and charter fisherman. They also have internet in the classrooms so they would be able to track it frequently.
Let me know by e-mail if this sounds good.
Bill

[ 02-28-2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: captbill35 ]

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt Bill I think its greatmyself but its not my $$$ to say yes or no and I hope others who donated will respond here. That is perfect a shore school I thought would be good because the kids are more likely to understand this type of project due to the fact their parents live by the shore and most likely have a fishing background. I will keep you posted. :cool:

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Absolutely,the Kids would love it :cool: Great idea,sometimes you really use your head...sometimes..
:D

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
Originally posted by THECHUMSTAIN:
I was kicking around an idea with Phil and would like some input.

With our $$$$$$ for the adoptions of stripers would you all think it would be good and interested in adopting a Bass Barn striper for a grade school along the coast for their own naming and tracking. Of course all can track it but to donate it to the school in our name. Let me know either way, we are up over $1000.00 already and still guys are sending in money. Also who would know what schools have the internet in class for this idea. I would say a lower grade would be best maybe 2nd through 5th grade.
Who is this really!? :D Just kidding, great idea. I'm for it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Like I said before,
EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE.!!!!!

It is not only great for the kids, but it really will get the community involved, and when that happens and people start to talk, Well things happen.

I would like to think with everyones help, between the money for tagging, schools, outside contributers, the people at Rutgers trying to get grants, etc.......

I think we could hit our goal to get our own beacons in the DB by this time next year.!!!

It will take some big efforts on our part, But EVERYONE has to spread the word. This is something that everyone benfits from, especially the little ones of the world!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great idea to do it with an elementry school. It's nice to think of our fish being of intrest to to even a few kids in the school and possibly opening their eyes to a hobby for a lifetime.Im in.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
John,

What ever you and Phil come up with is fine by me! I told you before anything for the kids I'm in. Keep up the Great Work.

Herb
Sensation

·
Registered
114 Posts
John, I think your idea is a great one. You have my support! Just my opinion and I could be wrong, not to eliminate any one school, it might be a good idea to choose a class or classes that do not have all the exposure to salt water fishing and meet other requirements such as having the internet, etc. That way we could introduce a new audience of kids to fishing and our area's resources :confused: who in totality of numbers, would have very little or no exposure to the world of salt water fish and fishing in general.

I do not have any one school or class is mind. Whatever you choose you have my full support. :D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
This has the makings of a "feel good story" that is a win-win for the Barn,Rutgers,and the Striped Bass. We ought to get some newspaper coverage....Gene

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gene I am working on channel 10 and the Herald right now. Plus Bill is going to do something in the Angler and G.P. has given me contacts with S.W.S. we are also going to try to line up a show with Fred. ;) I R pushing alot of buttons maybe I'll hit a home run or two. :D

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Great Idea, but what happens when these kids get attached to their fish and it suddenly disappears because someone caught and cooked it? Will they get counseling? :eek: :(

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They we will have to take them fishin and show them the truth. With guys like me in the pond the fish have a chance :D

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Originally posted by THECHUMSTAIN:
Gene I am working on channel 10 and the Herald right now. Plus Bill is going to do something in the Angler and G.P. has given me contacts with S.W.S. we are also going to try to line up a show with Fred. ;) I R pushing alot of buttons maybe I'll hit a home run or two. :D
John,
I hope you are going to do all this before you start fishing. Our youth depends on the future of fishing, so I support your idea. Education is the key to keep our sport alive.
You and Capt.Phil are going to make history.

Just wondering how many fish are you going to adopt and when will the adoption take place? I guess it depends on how much you get in donations.

May both of you be blessed with many fish this year.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Havent done the math today but as of Friday we had enough for 3.5 stripers!

And the checks are still coming! I'll be sending another one on payday.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
John, have we thought of getting corporate sponsors for the Rutgers fish. It would seem to me that it would be money well spent on outfits like Penn Reels, Cabela's, Bass Pro etc.....Gene

1 - 20 of 24 Posts