BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not exactly the story you are looking for but, I had a fish empty a 50 at the cigar after a long, long, long day of uproductive trolling at the wilmington & baltimore. No one noticed the rod going off (clicker not on & tired crew) until it was almost empty. I had the rod in my hand when the crappy knot on the spool gave way. Not the best day on the water for me or the crew.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes:D I was fishing in Tampa Bay FL. and had a Tarpon spool me. The reel was spinning sooo fast I put my finger on it to slow it down and it gave me rug burn.(braided line) It got down to the knot and pulled the hook. First time in my life I was happy a fish pulled the hook:eek:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I had some jerk take all my line when I was fishing on the Barnegat South Jetty. He casting across my line...retrieved then gunned his boat. Took 3/4 spool of fresh power pro.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
1 time drifting for fluke Penn 710 Z reel, Fenwick spinning rod, with 12lb Andy line just a normal home made fluke rig with squid and minnie all of a sudden bang got to a point you could see spool color chased him around for a while glad we were in a 25' Mako center.Ended up being a 16lb 13oz Bluefish that held the Sea Isle City record for most of the summer that was in the late 70s.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
LE inlet. 20lb test. Bunkerhead on the bottom hoping for a striper.

Something picked it up, ran like hell, never slowed down, never stopped, never turned, never broke stride, didn't speed up or slow down, spooled the whole the reel and popped the knot like it wasn't even there.

I would swear it was another boat, but there was no one around.

Had to be a big Brown Shark, only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Fishing rainbow one night in the kayak and cast to high and caught a car as it sped by. came loose after it took half the line in about 3 seconds.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Drum fishing last year at night on the DB, had just boated a 73lber when 2nd pole went down, picked it up and couldn't stop it!! rebaited 1st pole drop it and boom another one on, 93lbs. Both outfits were identicle so I had visions of a true monster that spooled me:eek:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
JoeyZac said:
LE inlet. 20lb test. Bunkerhead on the bottom hoping for a striper.

Something picked it up, ran like hell, never slowed down, never stopped, never turned, never broke stride, didn't speed up or slow down, spooled the whole the reel and popped the knot like it wasn't even there.

I would swear it was another boat, but there was no one around.

Had to be a big Brown Shark, only thing I can think of.
90lb striper:eek:

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Never have been spooled, and if ever happens, would likely be from species other than I'm fishing for.

It's a mess for the fish - think of all that line to drag behind it, likely to snag, or just tire the fish out, so try not to get spooled.

Same goes for large offshore species: Tuna have spooled fishermen, and that's usually A LOT of line to drag behind it.

I don't buy that nonesense about " the hook will rust right out".......maybe in a few months, and by then, likely dead fish...more like dead, rotted away fish.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Chunking yellow fin at night. After landing a few nice fish, Something grabbed the line and smoked the Penn 50 and snapped the line at the end of the spool.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hooked a Giant Sea Turtle the size of a couch on a bunker Chunk !!!:eek:

It was spooling me pretty quick, I was in a boat so I chased it down to recover line when it rose and showed itself.:eek:

I got most of my line back, it dove and broke off, left me trembling...:eek:

AMPHIBIAN (Tom)

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
almost.

50lb suffix, 50lb mono leader, 6" storm shad, 1st lot sandy hook early last sept.

was doing the cast / retrieve thing when I thought my line snagged.

zip stop, pull in, nothing.

then the "snag" moved down beach about 100 yards, I followed.. this was less than 100ft off the beach.

then the "snag" headed to england.

zzzzzzip, stop, zzzzzzzzzzip, zzzzzzzzip, stop [ repeat ]

this went on for 1/2 hr or so, and then I started cranking down the drag.

no change, zzzzzzzzzip, stop more and more

finally I cranked down more and *pop* thought my leader broke,
but reeled in, lure still there but the hook had straightened.

no idea what it was.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
young~gunz said:
90lb striper:eek:
You know, I'd be tempted to say it was a big striper, but it didn't act like one at all. No variation in speed or direction at all, just South, fast, and the knot on the end of the spool didn't even really slow it down.

In hindsight, I probably should have started cranking down on the drag earlier, but I always fight the tendency to touch the drag. I know that's a no no, but maybe that time I should have done it.

·
Registered
32,313 Posts
Penn 50SVW - 80lb mono. Down the Keys I had a whole barracuda filet out on a shark rig. Rod was in a dock piling rod holder and the rod was also bunjie cord and zip tied to the piling. Drag was pretty tight. Went up to the house for a little while and came back to an empty spool. I'm thinking BIG bull shark.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Has Happened A Few Times Mostly Offshore And Sometimes It's So Fast And The Sound At The End Is Depressing. On A 50 It Looks Like The Line Is Melting.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Not quite spooled, but...........

Last November, anchored up with clam right off the Holgate rip, had a NICE striper pick it up and run, drag was a little too loose, but I usually go on the light side.

It surfaced once and we could see it was a big fish, not a 40lber, but almost certainly a 30lber. I could tell it was going to take all my braid, but I had a lot of 20lb backing, so I wasn't worried.

Don't ask me how, but the last revolution of braid actually got snagged on my uni-uni knot. I hadn't cut the tag end as close as I thought I had.

BINK!

By the time I realized what was wrong, the line snapped. :mad:

Now you guys know why I constantly preach and scream that your knots have to be PERFECT!, and if you're not positive they are, cut it and retie it.

That was a nice fish.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts