BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
problem was told it could be the vent tube and i'm hoping i can fix it without taking up the deck as it;s a center console going to remove and clean the vent and look for blockage was told i can blow compressed air in was also thinking about doing a visual inspection with a plumbers drain camera also would this problem have any affect on fuel economy

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Sounds silly but you might have spiders.... no kidding, they love fuel vents. Moisture laden crud gets attached to webs and becomes hardened when dried out and blocks airflow...

I had a boat laid up for a year while I was trying to sell it...spiders....

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Other ways the vent gets blocked is either a kink in the hose, or the hose has a dip in the line traping liquid like a sink drain trap.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
did u fix it
I used one of those crappy little bathroom sink snakes. It was small enough to fit thru the vent hole. Fortunatly for me, the clog was close to the vent itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
backflow problem

I wouldn't use compressed air on a fuel line because static electricity can and has ignited gas fumes. Worked in Petro industry for many years so be careful, good luck. I have used an electricians wire snake which is plastic not metal.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I don't know anything about drain cameras.... lots of fumes like stated above...:huh:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You're probable only talking about 8 ft of 5/8 fuel hose to replace. If its over 10 years old, its normally hard, cracked, and ready for replacement anyway.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I just pulled my tank after 20 years and found a *********** in the fuel vent line that was caked hard and clogging the hose. Venting was only going from the rear vent hole(tanks has two vent tubes). New hoses all around with new clamps as well.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
again thanks

not too worried about the cost of replacing the hose just getting to it 1997 boston whaler 20 outrage center console

1 - 13 of 13 Posts