BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the original thought was to go to Tahiti, but knowing the limited fishing options there, we're now thinking about Hawaii. Nothing is set yet, so I'd like to hear your recommendations on where to fish (what island), what boats (and contact info), and any other recommendations (e.g., where to stay/eat, things to do, etc.). It will be late November/early December (this year). Looking for billfish, tuna, wahoo, etc.

I'm sure many of you have been there/done that, so let's hear your thoughts!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
This guy has a stellar reputation:

Northern Lights Sportfishing
Kevin Nakamaru

73-1498 Hao Pl.
Kailua Kona, HI 96740
Boat Phone/Cell: 808-960-1549

Email:
[email protected]

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have fished and visited HI extensively (just got back last week). If l could only fish one day on one boat, it would be on Gene Vander Hoek's Sea Genie II (39' Rybovich) out of Kona.

Kauai is the most beautiful of the islands IMHOP.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. That's it? Just 2 boats/capts? Wow, that makes it easy! :D Just being a wise-azz. Come on guys, who else? I need some other options in case these two aren't available or are out of my price range!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oahu

I fished abord the Foxylady on the north shore of Oahu with Capt Jesse Lovett. The boat is a 42' Uniflite, ane he catches fish. I'll include the link. I was fishing for Tuna/Mahi. We had about seven Mahi to 35# and maybe five YFT in the 65# range. We missed a marlin right out of the harbor. It's about 20-30 minutes to the fishing grounds. The boat is in Haleiwa Harbor.Hawaii Sportfishing Charters, Hawaiian Fishing Vacations

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
just got back from honeymoon fished in maui out of lahaina marina. what a rip off fished on a boat called start me up. caught two ono by luck. these guys do not try very hard the mate slept half of the 8 hour trip while yhe capt read the paper and made phone calls. they put one spread out(which consisted of no bait just plastic) and did not change a thing all day what a joke. i even saw a group of birds feeding maybe 200yds away pointed this out to the capt. and he refused to check it out. they also charge you if you want to keep any of the catch 2$ a pound. maui is definetly not the island to fish . fish kona. maui is very beautiful though the hyat resort in kaanapali is spectacular. also stayed in wakiki,oahu did not enjoy as much as maui:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I spent my honeymoon in Kauaii mostly, it was great if you don't like the tourist traps of Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. Kauaii is very quiet after 9PM and nothing like Honolulu. I fished with Harry Shigekane in Kauaii. He is one of the best fisherman I have ever met, he tought me more than any other captian. Fishing with him was more than the time you spent on the boat, he had us over a few times for dinner and he and his wife's hospitality was unsurpassed. Not sure if this number is good anymore but you can easily track him down on the small island of Kauaii, 808-639-4351.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lots of boats in Kona. Great fishing right out side the jetties. Mountains protect you from wind so calm seas. Lots of good eats in town after trip.

I fished with Sundowner Charters. This is the boat of Capts Norm and Darrin Issacs from ESPNs Big Game Fishing the World.

Fished in July. Wife caught first billfish...shortnose spearfish. I still have yet to catch one of those. Had big blue crash a lure late in the day but didn't get the hook.

35 Bertram

Hilton Wiakaloa village is a great place to stay. Golf course on grounds. But would have to drive to Kona.

Congratulations and Have fun!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I fished out of Kona, through the Charter Desk, on a boat named Jacque Apida (sp?) and was not impressed. We trolled for 4 hours and got nothing. They did not make any changes and did not seem to try very hard. The great part is you start trolling within a few miles from the inlet.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Mahimadness-I had a similar experience in Maui and don't plan to fish out of there again.

For the boats out of Kona/Kauai, approx how much should I expect to pay? Just trying to figure out how many fishing days I can afford!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Was in Hawaii 6 times the same time of the year, Billfish season is winding down by late December January. I would go out in November if I had the choice, December can be rainy in Hawaii. The last time I stayed at the Hilton in Oahu with the wife and kids right on Waikiki Beach beutiful spot and very nice Hotel. Not the spot if you are looking for quiet. I like to get out on the town and have a good time Oahu is perfect for that plenty to do and see. other islands are very quiet. As far as a charter you have to use Captain Rusty on the western shore of the island, he has some tournament wins and knows how to put you on the fish. Just google charter sportfishing in Oahu he will come up. He has been fishing and operating the charter for over 20 years, is a native of California, his prices are very reasonable and he has a nice older Bertram to boot. Good Luck I caught many Mahi one over 40lbs, and many small YFT to 60lbs. and a nice Wahoo that whent 60lbs. and you always have a shot at a giant.You will have a blast. If you want quiet and good fisshing try Kona and use Kona fishing charters another group of great guys.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I believe a days fishing in Kauaii is about $250?? but they keep the fish. Harry never left me hungry and always gave me enough fish to eat but selling the catch is how he makes his living.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marlin Magic

I fished Hawaii in 1998 on the boat Marlin Magic. It was (and still is) the most unbelivable fishing trip I ever took. Captain Marliln Parker (yes his first name is Marlin) got us into the fish in 10 min. from the dock. We had a grand slam with 2 Blue Marlin (one was 450lb) 1 Striped Marlin 2 Spearfish and a Black Marlin. We ate the spearfish for dinner on the day before Christmas eve. I cannot recommend the boat enough.

By the way the guy is named Marlin because his father was the first guy to land a grander in US waters. Check out his website.

http://www.marlinmagic.com/

Kona is and will always be the greatest spot in the world to fish for me.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Hate to say it but, Tahiti has got to be one of the most unreal places I've ever been... I'd pick French Polynesia just on beauty. But I've never been to the Kona.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts