BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an article in yesterdays asbury park press said that our pres
wants to close the marine research lab at sandy hook and reasign the people else ware - the saving in his new budget would be $ 200.000
dont seem like a lot when billons are spent slse ware
oc

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in the first place they have been there sense 1961 - i dont know all that do but they have studies about the condition of the ocean waters and the fish we fish for - and any shut down of some thing that
we all cherish is not good - it just a series of gov controls
if you want to know what they do or have done google
the james j.howard marine sciences laboratory i live by the ocean not some where inland in pa
oc

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
in the first place they have been there sense 1961 - i dont know all that do but they have studies about the condition of the ocean waters and the fish we fish for - and any shut down of some thing that
we all cherish is not good - it just a series of gov controls
if you want to know what they do or have done google
the james j.howard marine sciences laboratory i live by the ocean not some where inland in pa
oc
So you have no idea what they do and if its good or bad for the sportsman but you want support for a position on closing a government facility that has been in the same loacation for 50 years is bad.

I've not seen much science that comes from the government as being good for the fisherman but I'm open to learn.

I fail to see where you live have any bearing on conversation.
Your post is

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
my daughter interned in that lab... .one thing she worked on was a fish study of the Navesink River. they tagged bluefish and studied the seasonal movements... not sure what the long term was on that, but it was an interesting project for her

-----

The lab was founded in 1961 by a famed fisheries biologist, Lionel A. Walford, as the first federal research establishment dedicated to studying marine recreational species. The lab had a close association with the American Littoral Society, a nonprofit environmental group that still maintains its headquarters nearby at old Fort Hancock.Walford and his colleagues used their outreach and contacts with recreational and commercial fishermen and divers to broaden research projects and get help from the coastal community. The lab’s work on bluefish earned it a cameo role in author John Hersey’s 1988 book “Blues,” a paean to that era’s enormous fishery.
Much of the scientists’ work focused on the New York Bight, and their findings on toxicity in fish helped drive decisions to end ocean dumping and clean up New York Harbor. The lab amassed one of the nation’s largest research libraries —some 33,000 volumes — but it was lost in a 1985 arson fire that leveled the original lab building.
In 1986 and 1987 Howard led an effort to get federal funding to rebuild, and a new building was started in 1989. Today it contains 11 individual seawater laboratories and a 32,000-gallon aquarium for close-up studies of fish behavior

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012302130061

-------

A female black sea bass swims around the 32,000 gallon aquarium at the James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory. Left: Dr. Beth Phelan, chief of the behavioral ecology branch (left), and contractor DeMond Timmons at the aquarium. / NJ PRESS MEDIA 2011

Written by

Malia Rulon Herman

Washington Bureau

• Filed Under

Purchase Image Zoom

ASB 0920 Howard Marine lab 50th anniversary Dr. Beth Phelan, Chief Behavioral Ecology Branch, left, and contractor, DeMond Timmons, observe the labs 32,000 gallon aquarium from above. NOAA's James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory, celebrates its 50th anniversary with a commemoration ceremony, Tuesday, September 20, 2011. STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER/MARY FRANK - SANDY HOOK - NEWS - 09/20/11. / MARY FRANK

WASHINGTON — One day after President Barack Obama proposed closing a fisheries lab on the Jersey Shore as part of the federal budget, state lawmakers are asking him to reconsider.
New Jersey Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez and Rep. Frank Pallone, all D-N.J., sent a letter to Obama Tuesday to express “strong opposition” to closing the lab.
“We will work to prevent the closure of this facility during the upcoming appropriations process and we ask that you reconsider your position,” the lawmakers wrote.
The James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory at Sandy Hook has been in operation since 1961; it was the first federal scientific laboratory devoted solely to the research on marine recreational species.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012302140088

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.