BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on getting together with a couple friends for a head boat bottom fishing trip this weekend. I haven’t heard any reports lately and was curious to know if anything has been biting, especially cod and ling. I was thinking NJ but would go a little further north for consistently better fishing/less running time. Any boat recommendations or fishing reports would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Inshore marine forcast NJ. Doesn't look good. Central Jersey PB's, slow. A few Ling, a few Cod with a few nice ones. Inshore to 20 miles off the water is still cold @ 36 deg. Yup!,cabin fever



SAT SW WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT...THEN VEERING TO N TO NW AND DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 6 TO 11 FT...THEN BECOMING 4 TO 8 FT...HIGHEST SE. SUN N TO NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT BECOMING 3 TO 5 FT LATE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inshore marine forcast NJ. Doesn't look good. Central Jersey PB's, slow. A few Ling, a few Cod with a few nice ones. Inshore to 20 miles off the water is still cold @ 36 deg. Yup!,cabin fever



SAT SW WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT...THEN VEERING TO N TO NW AND DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 6 TO 11 FT...THEN BECOMING 4 TO 8 FT...HIGHEST SE. SUN N TO NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT BECOMING 3 TO 5 FT LATE.
Cabin fever is a mild way to put it. I saw the forecast and was hoping it would change for the better. As af this morning the offshore forecast says 4-8. This will be my last chance to do anything like this for a while so I was hoping it would work out. I’m not sure when our boat is going in the water, but probably won’t be able to get out on too many trips this summer regardless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
I was thinking about the Voyager on Sunday but with the water temps plus maybe the wind and the reports have not been good,but that could change in a heartbeat .You might want to check out there website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about the Voyager on Sunday but with the water temps plus maybe the wind and the reports have not been good,but that could change in a heartbeat .You might want to check out there website
Thank you for the suggestion...that could be a good trip. The other boat I am considering is the Paramount. It's still 5-9 ft seas for Saturday and 4-8 for Sunday with a strong north wind, so I'm not too optimistic at this point. If they were all bailing fish, it would be one thing, but to get beat up and not have a lot of action could result in a miserable trip. It will be a game-time decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion...that could be a good trip. The other boat I am considering is the Paramount. It's still 5-9 ft seas for Saturday and 4-8 for Sunday with a strong north wind, so I'm not too optimistic at this point. If they were all bailing fish, it would be one thing, but to get beat up and not have a lot of action could result in a miserable trip. It will be a game-time decision.
This is the right thinking...

I did the offshore Voyager trip last Sunday and the Jamaica inshore marathon the Sunday before. Neither trip was good in my opinion. There was a cod caught by maybe every other angler. The sizes were better on the inshore Jamaica trip ironically (cost half as much as the offshore Voyager trip). But every day is a crapshoot.

The way I look at it is if you're just dying to get out and wet a line and will understand you may come back with a fish or two at best, then do one of the inshore trips and only spend $90-$100. If want to go deep and spend more, then just do something different entirely and go on a tilefish trip.

Just my opinion...
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top