BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the Doris Mae last night with m wife a three kids. We arrived 3 hours early to get spots on the back of the boat, which we did. We had a great night! The crew was awesome as always. My question is about people moving in around the stern. How do does everyone deal with that? I told a few of them to get there early next time as well. The mate actually told a few of them to go back to their original spots. If you could share your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Glad to here the Crew was awesome, my little hunting buddy (my Cousin) Jim is a mate on that boat for the summers. I hope he treated you and everyone on the boat properly!

As for your question I wouldn't know I never seem to get there early enough to get a spot on the back ;)

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I always go right to the front of a head boat. There is much more room for fishing, coolers, extra rods etc.. The people up there are usualy more friendly and its more of a laid back fishing day. Another plus, for me anyway, is the mates usualy aren't all over you trying to "help" when it's not needed or wanted. You can also under-hand cast a lot better if needed from the front. I don't remember ever being totaly outfished by the "guys in the back", and have won more than my fair share of pools from the front.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would let the mates know if it's becoming a problem and let them deal with it. Patrons seem to react more positively when they are told by the captain or mates. You don't want to get in a pissing match with some drunk(s) especially with your kids on board. A lot of the bigger fish I've seen have come from the front this year. One plus with the front, you don't have to smell the diesel fumes as much and it's a nice view. One negative is there isn't much cover from the sun. It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time anyway.

[ 08-19-2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Joe D. ]

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
i was on the miss barnegate about 3 weeks ago for a bluefish trip.got the back of the boat. after the 6 hour trip i brought on board over 20 10lb blues then i started giving the pole to others in my group so they could reel 1 in after i hooked it. that was about 10 times.with the amount of fish i was catching time and time again i had chase people away from my spot. basically i just had a great day when others did not but that does not give them the right to move in on your spot.

·
Registered
698 Posts
People fight for spots on a drifting boat...I love it! I'd go for an open boat with a 5 man charter any day instead of going out on a party boat that has a change of having lot of drunks and idiots.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just part of headboat fishing. The best way to stop it is to tell them there isn't enough room when they try to move in. If they don't listen, tell a mate, or better yet, the captain. If they aren't handling the situation, then I'd move to the bow if possible. The stern of the boat is always center stage, so it will always attract the most attention. It's just a part of being on a headboat - which is why if I know it will be a crowded day, I choose the bow.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I feel for you, but on the other hand. I have been on the night fishing trips and have arrived 3hrs early to find that the stern has already been taken. We got the port side around the third spot to the seventh spot. When we go out there the mates threw out chum from the stern 99 percent of the time, maybe a spoonfull from the bow twice the whole night. Well the people in the back was catching fish as soon as thier line went out 20 ft. Two guys filled two 150 gal coolers and twwo 33 gal trash cans up and we still never had a bite. My friend said the next time one of the guys back there catch a fish I'm jumping in his spot which he did and came back two minutes later with a fish. The guy gave him a hard time and my friend told him to give other people a chance or they would be rumbling on the deck.Well I made my movee also and we all caught some fish. Some of the people in the back would let us jump in while they were getting the fish off the hook, usually we would have a fish before they were ready to fish again.I'ts a reeal drag watching the back nail them one after the other aand the side of the boat doing very litle but get lines tangled together. Thhose guys in the back had commercial licences and had no limit of how many fish they could take. I don;t think that it is right for a commercial guy to be on a party boat taking away from those who aonly get to fish once in awhile. So next time you get the stern and you get more fish then you are going to eat, how about letting some poor guy from the side catch a few.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.