BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is nearly nothing to read in this forum yet, I thought that we could pass the time by sharing some of our back bay horror stories. It could be your greatest loss, hairy moment, or holy shiz what's that!?!? I'll start.

Years ago, when I didn't have a boat, I was forced to fish from the docks in Shawcrest, where I have a place. I use to fish from the floating dock, where the boat lift is. I was always brought home flounder for the table, and was always able to pull a few keeper striper out of there every year, even in the middle of summer. One morning I threw a wad of clam out there, and set the rod down. Before I could grab my flounder rod, the striper rod fell over and the line began to gather on the surface from all of the slack. When I reeled in the slack, It got tight, and something started to pull. Just then I saw the "thing" come to the surface and cause a huge boil just like a striper. When I started to fight it, something was different. It wasn't responding to me. It was just bulldozing through the water. No matter how hard that I pulled, I couldn't turn this thing. It just swam back and forth, in 30 yard stretches. Now I wasn't sure what this was. I've caught a lot of large fish in my life, all over the world, and I've never had anything behave like this. To give you an idea how hard this thing was pulling, and how odd it's behavior was, for a moment I entertained the idea of it being a giant green sea turtle! Giant stingray? Shark? I started to wonder. So after a half of an hour it starts to move out to the icw, and has now spooled me. Either I put as much pressure as I can on this thing, or it's gone. SNAP! Gone. Just then I hear a crowd of old timers that had been watching me the whole time without me knowing, let out out a collective "oh no!". I turned and said "I didn't even care if I landed it, I just wanted to know what the hell it was". I said, " I think it was a shark". Just then, a guy fishing off of the bow of his boat, right where the fish surfaced, who I never noticed was there, said,"did you say shark? You had the biggest striper that I have ever seen!" I asked "how big?", and all he did was stretch his arms out out as far as he could and said, "about this long, and this big around", as he made a circle with his arms while touching finger tips. It has haunted me to this day.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Great story. Sure would have been nice to see it.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
we all have a story like that.. enjoyed yours.. a few yrs back we were fishing the no bones tournament.. and i was stupid and used 10lb i think mono for my leaders.. well i put a rig on i made and put a minnow on.. we were drifting around and bag i get wacked.. set the hook and start to real.. it does that flounder pump and i put to much on it and the leader broke (no matter what anyone says it broke no pig tail lol) i was heart broken and i head scotty say theres the tournament winner.. had my rod bent from one end to the other.. never again do i go that low.. what got me was the main line was 30lb pp.. now i just use rigs from no bones while fishing in the back lol

go a head jack say what you must lol

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Horror story. About 15 years ago while fishing a popular
cape may beach I got bumped very hard. We were wading in
waist deep water and I had a stringer attached to my wading
belt. So I had several big weakies and some blues attached.
The bump occurred to my thigh. To make a long story short it
was a 7 foot shark that had my stringer of fish in it's mouth and
was eating it's way up my stringer. All my buddies ran from the
water leaving me trying to try to back this fish to the beach. A scary
moment indeed. I'll never attach my stringer to my belt again.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Maybe Iggy will post his back bay horror story? I promise you it's truly a horror story!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I was 10 years old, salmon fishing with my dad,gramps,uncles out at the faralon islands 40 miles out from san fran . I was leaning on the gunwhale when landing a
pacific salmon all of a sudden a seal grabs my salmon and starts swimming away, just then a great white grabs the seal and bites him in half!! I never seen
so much blood and guts. Did'nt go salmon fishing for awhile.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Darn Bill. That would keep me out if boats for along
time. I read a book " The Devils Teeth" about the
great whites of the Faralons. Scary stuff. Great story.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Fishcounsleor,

Its hard and to believe it happened that long ago ...as much as we tend to complain about fish, those were some pretty good years.

best wishes
mike

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
3D, they were some great days. That particular
spot in Cape May was unbelievable. Believe it or
not that was my first time at that spot. It's been
pretty dead for us for about 5 years.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My biggest heart breaker was in the back bay live lining a 6" plus spot in Early July for big fluke. I had my shot and got the fish up to about 3' from the boat. I was by myself and the fish pulled the hook 3' from the boat. She just sat still for about 2 seconds. She went easily over 10 pounds and my guess would be 12 pounds at 32"-33" class. That one hurt. I mean like the hot chick just dumped you for your best friend kind of bad.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
i remember you telling me and ed that story.. seen it in your face how hurt you were
My biggest heart breaker was in the back bay live lining a 6" plus spot in Early July for big fluke. I had my shot and got the fish up to about 3' from the boat. I was by myself and the fish pulled the hook 3' from the boat. She just sat still for about 2 seconds. She went easily over 10 pounds and my guess would be 12 pounds at 32"-33" class. That one hurt. I mean like the hot chick just dumped you for your best friend kind of bad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My one that really hurts is 2 or 3 years ago at the south end of LBI. Got there too early to shark fish so I was jigging for fluke with the lite rod when two cobia in the 35 inch range just swim up to the jetty real slow, so I throw my jig to them and boom hook up, after a ten min fight I get him down to the beach and as I go to beach him the hook pops. Probably my only shot to get a cobia from the jersey surf and was seconds away. But that's fishing.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
we all have a story like that.. enjoyed yours.. a few yrs back we were fishing the no bones tournament.. and i was stupid and used 10lb i think mono for my leaders.. well i put a rig on i made and put a minnow on.. we were drifting around and bag i get wacked.. set the hook and start to real.. it does that flounder pump and i put to much on it and the leader broke (no matter what anyone says it broke no pig tail lol) i was heart broken and i head scotty say theres the tournament winner.. had my rod bent from one end to the other.. never again do i go that low.. what got me was the main line was 30lb pp.. now i just use rigs from no bones while fishing in the back lol

Think I was there..............;):D;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
probably about 6 years ago, was on my first fall striper run in the rips on the Miss Chris. Chunking bunker, i got slammed. Got the fish to the boat and it was a 28" fluke, FAT too!! Needless to say, they were out of season and back over the rail she went. Didnt even get a picture either. Thats my best flounder to date.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
we all have a story like that.. Enjoyed yours.. A few yrs back we were fishing the no bones tournament.. And i was stupid and used 10lb i think mono for my leaders.. Well i put a rig on i made and put a minnow on.. We were drifting around and bag i get wacked.. Set the hook and start to real.. It does that flounder pump and i put to much on it and the leader broke (no matter what anyone says it broke no pig tail lol) i was heart broken and i head scotty say theres the tournament winner.. Had my rod bent from one end to the other.. Never again do i go that low.. What got me was the main line was 30lb pp.. Now i just use rigs from no bones while fishing in the back lol

paul i almost promise never to bring this up again.i'll ask scotty about twice a summer are there any big flounder around---then capt.badfinger starts laughing totally out of controll then tells the story and after many years it still gets me excited and laughing out of controll. All the lost money and there were no racoons to blame.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Two years ago I was fishing some wreck debris for BIG Flounder. I had some large finger mullet. I already had a couple real nice fish in the boat ( 5-7 lbs) I go over the heavy bottom and get a bite I hook this fish and for the first time ever the fish pulls alot of drag. I manage to get the fish off the bottom and slowly star bringing him up. I survived many violent head shakes. I finally get a glimpse of this beast and almost shat myself. He was 36" fish and over 15 lbs. I had him about two feet from the net and he goes beserk and head shake and I see the hook pop out of his mouth. He layed there for a couple seconds and then backed down to the bottom wving good bye. That one haunts me as I have tons of fish 7-10 lbs but nothing larger.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts