BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Barn mates, been largely absent for the last several weeks working two jobs, coordinating the build out of a space in Tribeca for my church and finishing the woodwork in a new restaurant on the corner of Bowery and Houston. Gone from about 9 in the morning till after midnight most days. Not complaining, I know lot's of people are out of work so I'm thankful to have it and thankful one of them is done, now back to a normal schedule to bring the restaurant home. Good to be back.

So, my last assignment was to switch the bucktail and yak on my night thing, so here it is with the yak wing. Much better looking this way i believe, thanks for the tip.

When I got started in SWFF I chose Rich Murphy's book as a guide and was very impressed with his writing and approach to fishing for stripers. His flys are very interesting and i like his concept of "engineering space" with a cone made from easy body. I spent some time watching at Somerset and got him to tie me an example of the spreader cone. So these next two flies were tied late at night after getting home from work and are first attempts at a lot of little things. Here goes, my quick and dirty first tie over a spreader cone with an easy body head, after the form of his Conomo Special

The next is an attempt at the RM Rattlesnake. He ties with fishhair, arctic fox and bucktail in black, I had yak hair, icelandic sheep, and bucktail in chart so that it. This pattern has a body build up inserted into some easy body along with a rattle, which is then tied onto the hook and the remaining easy body used to form a spreader cone. The head is supposed to be a nice conical spun deer hair affair. My pedestrian tie in of the collar and lack of spinning skills killed this one but I'm still gonna fish it. It also lacks eyes at this stage and is about 10" long

Not great ties but it's my progress so far. I'm keepin it real:thumbsup:

Oakman

· Registered
4,852 Posts
Flies

Nice to see ya posting again Chris. Fly one and two, very nice. I'd still use a little less material in the first one. Probably the second as well but it's hard to tell from that picture. The third, one word, "yikes" :D. Typical tie for a guy just starting out. It'll probably fish fine. Spinning deer hair is an art unto itself. I think I lent Harry my DVD about it. The DVD really helps. It's not even something that can be easily explained here on the board.
While it's nice to tie and fish big flies, remember, they have to be castable. Big bulky flies are tuff to throw any distance with lighter rods. Keep tying. It's a practice thing. It's a shame you live so far away, it'd be nice to sit down with you and tie together.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John

Thanks, sparser it is. The two "murphy's" are actually rather light and streamlined when wet. The majority of the bulk is provided by the spreader cone. Perhaps it will throw best on a full sink? That's the beauty for me, finding out.

You're down Phili way I think? I could be convinced to make that drive for a tying session. Would love to chat on the idea and come up with a plan.

O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.