BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool:Went fishing (1st time this year) with the wife on friday. She caught a 19" fluke that I told her we had to put back. It swam away with no apparent damage. I told her God would reward us later for not cheating one day on the opening of flounder season.
We went out Saturday -- it was very windy and cool --- and we got skunked.
I went out alone Sunday and while I did not get any Fluke I got a hit while fishing the bottom with a large minnow that I thought was a Blue. Turns out that I was wrong. After ~ 10miutes I netted a 35" Striper --- my first ever! God's reward.

Then when back at the condo I found out you can't fillet Stripers like you do fluke. Got a fair amout of meat off of it but can anyone pass on the best way to fillet stripers? :confused: Looked like you should cut it in steaks but I had nothing that would cut through the center backbone.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
An electric knife will cut through the ribcage or a beeky filet knife. After you remove the filet you can easily filet the ribcage off. When remving the skin I don't get down to the shin too close. This will leave a lot of the "red Blood line" on the skin. You can also filet around the ribcage if you can't cut through it. If you're cutting through the backbone you're doing it wrong. Cut down to the backbone then filet along the backbone,

·
Registered
126 Posts
35" striper on a minow dam never had that happen good catch though...

Anyway i start right below the head by the little fin below the gills cut down about half way and slowly move down they the rib cage making sure you get all the meat no need to cut threw the backbone!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Silver,
As stated above filleting isn't too difficult, just don't get impatient. I also like steaks. Scale em and steak em and put em on the grill!
It never hurts to do the right thing...nice catch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts