BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 that needs the A/C evaporator replaced. Anyone know of a good mechanic in De? It is a pretty involved job.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got the same problem w/ my 2000 2500 Ram. I got one quote for $1200. Anybody know any good places in South Jersey (Cape May or Atlantic County)??

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
wills,
I had my dodge dakota redone last year.
There is a garage in bridgeton (cumberland county) that did it. I was very happy with the work
He did the evap, heater core and replaced the "collector" (i forget the exact name) With tax and all, he was under 1000.00

If you want the name of the garage, I can look it up.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
BTW,
from what I have found, dodge had a bad design where the condensation drain through the firewall would shift uphill and you would always get water laying in the bottom of the evap, causing it to rust out

Most of you guys probably had a real bad musty odor for a short time after turning on the AC. I know now that it shouldn't stink. :(

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I have an 02 Ram that has that swamp smell when you first turned the ac on. It was worse last yr., hardly noticable this yr for some reason. I was spraying a deoderizer down the vent last yr.. I also had a 95 Ram that had to have the evporator replaced. That god that I had bought the extended warrenty which covered it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheapest price I found is at a place in Newark De. around $700. But you know when they say 700 it turns out to be 850 with freon etc. etc. The dealer wants about a 1,000 and about 1,250 with replacing the heater core. Best bet is probably to take it to the dealer, but ouch 1,250 hurts the wallet. I am going to keep shopping. I have checked a couple of forums on-line and some guys have gotten it done for $450 to $500 with parts and labor. The only problem is too far to travel mid west etc.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
bent,
250 extra to do the heater core?? that is the same thing my dealer told me, but he also told me that he had to take the old heater core out to work on the evap.

Now a brand new heater core is not 250. They are double charging partial labor for the heater core replacement when it is actually part of the process of the AC repair.

When I started questioning it, they told me that they would lower the price. I told them to shove it right back up......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great design

From what I am seeing, the same engineer who designed the transmissions for dodge must have been the same rocket scientist who located the eveporator so you have to take the entire dash out etc. One would think that they would have made an access through the firewall:mad: But then again that would make to much sense. Anyway any good mechanic out there that is familiar with this issue and repair could probably keep busy with Barners alone.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Bent Prop said:
From what I am seeing, the same engineer who designed the transmissions for dodge must have been the same rocket scientist who located the eveporator so you have to take the entire dash out etc. One would think that they would have made an access through the firewall:mad: But then again that would make to much sense. Anyway any good mechanic out there that is familiar with this issue and repair could probably keep busy with Barners alone.
He also made the rears in all the Rams. LOL

The guy I used is good and is a avid fisherman as well. I was more than happy with the work and it is fridged cold air. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with you

MargaritaVille said:
bent,
250 extra to do the heater core?? that is the same thing my dealer told me, but he also told me that he had to take the old heater core out to work on the evap.

Now a brand new heater core is not 250. They are double charging partial labor for the heater core replacement when it is actually part of the process of the AC repair.

When I started questioning it, they told me that they would lower the price. I told them to shove it right back up......
Yeah that is true because one of the other shops I called said no additional labor would be required for the heater core and that I would just have to pay for the part @ $60 to $80 bucks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is not a bad job to do tho! I have done many of them in my home garage. You should replace the heater core, because it is right there it takes an extra min or two to install. Ford is the same way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the heater core is 260.00 from the dealer

MargaritaVille said:
He also made the rears in all the Rams. LOL

The guy I used is good and is a avid fisherman as well. I was more than happy with the work and it is fridged cold air. :D

I called the parts dept at a dodge dealer and they quoted me $259 for the heater core. The other shops must be using and aftermarket one. Any way you slice it this whole deal s$cks!!!:mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whoitd said:
That is not a bad job to do tho! I have done many of them in my home garage. You should replace the heater core, because it is right there it takes an extra min or two to install. Ford is the same way.
Have you ever done a dodge? From everything I read the steering column has to come out and the entire dash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts