BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal....I have a Hobie Mirage, not sure how old she is. A couple years back, I bought it off a guy who was getting divorced and selling all of his toys! Every time I would take her out of the water, I was emptying out a ton of water that accumulated in the hull. It wasn't until late last season that I realized how much water I was taking on and that I probably had some sort of leak. I did some investigating last week and found that there was a crack in the front slot where the foot pedals slide in. So what should I do to fix this problem???? Do they make special "glue" that I should use or am I just winging it. I'm guessing this happens to some kayaks and that this is a common place to find a crack. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Since you did not buy it from a dealer, the first thing I would do is call Hobie and explain it to them. It's slightly possible that they would replace the hull. I've had two replaced by Hobie by way of Barrell. They changed the design i believe in 2009 and I haven't heard of this problem since then.

Also if Barrell does not see this you should call him and ask his opinion. He is the guru of all things Hobie. He will know exactly how to repair it.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
We can try to file a claim. At best they will give you a new kayak for a fee but it will be a lot cheaper then a storebought one. To fix it yourself you need to melt the crack shut and then squeeze at least a half a caulk tube of pl5200 all around the crack on the inside. Pack it around with latex gloves on. Let it dry a week minimum.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
We can try to file a claim. At best they will give you a new kayak for a fee but it will be a lot cheaper then a storebought one. To fix it yourself you need to melt the crack shut and then squeeze at least a half a caulk tube of pl5200 all around the crack on the inside. Pack it around with latex gloves on. Let it dry a week minimum.
I'm with you on the 5200, but you might want to break down the application process. My experience is that you can't put too much on without having it run all over.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
The age is the last two digits in the serial number which is on the starboard side about 12 inches from the tail end.
Ok, here is the deal....I have a Hobie Mirage, not sure how old she is. A couple years back, I bought it off a guy who was getting divorced and selling all of his toys! Every time I would take her out of the water, I was emptying out a ton of water that accumulated in the hull. It wasn't until late last season that I realized how much water I was taking on and that I probably had some sort of leak. I did some investigating last week and found that there was a crack in the front slot where the foot pedals slide in. So what should I do to fix this problem???? Do they make special "glue" that I should use or am I just winging it. I'm guessing this happens to some kayaks and that this is a common place to find a crack. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the same issues on my 2010 Outback...haven't located where the leak is but guessing the same place. Kinda sucks that Hobie may replace it but will cost around 600-700 bucks for Hobie to make it right. It's an expensive kayak to begin with and to layout that additional amount doesn't seem fair in mho.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
No one said it would cost $600 to replace your kayak. Where did you here that? Hobie come with a full unlimited two year warranty. Even paddles broken when a wipeout occurs on a wave are replaced. A 2010 is now fives year old. What other product do we buy in life that is replaced in the first two years free of charge. I cant think of any.
I have the same issues on my 2010 Outback...haven't located where the leak is but guessing the same place. Kinda sucks that Hobie may replace it but will cost around 600-700 bucks for Hobie to make it right. It's an expensive kayak to begin with and to layout that additional amount doesn't seem fair in mho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"not sure how old she is. A couple years back"
So if you registered your warranty there wouldn't be an issue. But thats right you bought it USED.

I've never seen Hobie not do the right thing for an original owner of any of their products. But its cases like this where someone buys a used product from maybe maybe not the original owner than develops a problem who knows how old the product is and you don't even know the year of MFG or if its user error but the Hobie should give you a new boat because you bought it used and it may have been damaged b-4 you bought it. Ok, try that with any other product thats marine related and see what you get. Really????

If they only charge you $600-700 and give you a brand new hull you should be very happy as the warranty clearly states original owner only.
Try this with a used car or boat and see what the dealer tells you... most likely you SOL... and that ain't stripers on line...

Most likely you'll try to sell this to someone on craigslist... after of course you get your replacement hull from Hobie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Chevy has a oil leak, I know I'll go on line and cry till someone says here little Johnny, I'll fix it for free...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did I miss??? I'm trying to plug a leak in my yak so my fat a$$ doesn't sink and now all of a sudden I'm a craigslist scam artist looking to make a quick buck! You guys got me, I don't even like to fish. I've been scamming the worldwide fishing community since I was catching snapper blues in my diapers on the Toms River. :razz: Barrell, I'm hoping to stop by the shop next week before I head to florida to talk about plugging the leak and possibly finally rigging up a depth finder. Keep those lines tight, fellas!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I think they confused your OP with Capt Kayak's post.
What did I miss??? I'm trying to plug a leak in my yak so my fat a$$ doesn't sink and now all of a sudden I'm a craigslist scam artist looking to make a quick buck! You guys got me, I don't even like to fish. I've been scamming the worldwide fishing community since I was catching snapper blues in my diapers on the Toms River. :razz: Barrell, I'm hoping to stop by the shop next week before I head to florida to talk about plugging the leak and possibly finally rigging up a depth finder. Keep those lines tight, fellas!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am the original owner and not asking for anything but a safe and leak-free kayak and I'll try the pl5200 as Barrell said....I've seen other treads and have talked directly to Hobie. It seems like it is not uncommon and may be a design flaw, that's all. :nuts: Barrell, what has your experience been with replacing or repairing the hulls, I'll defer to the expert....

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
It all starts with filing an official claim. Only a dealer can do that. The company will then get back to me with what options they may be willing to offer. Any dealer can file a claim. Under two years its simple. They replace anything that's broken. Outside of the warranty period there can be a fee involved.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks Sterling Harbor

So after finding the leak, which is a crack in the well where the mirage drive goes, I tried to patch it but it wouldn't hold so I filed a claim with Hobie through my awesome dealer. They prorated my yak and are sending me a new hull....Thanks Hobie and Cathy at Sterling Harbor. ...and 280 can kma for being such as wise-***:wave:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
...and 280 can kma for being such as wise-***:wave:[/QUOTE]

C'mon man...10 posts in 6 years...a valuable contributor no doubt :thumbsdown:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts