BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Cabo San Lucas the end of January I intend to do some fishing when I am down there. I was wondering if anyone knew a good Capt. that I can hook-up with that won't just take me for a boat ride.
I want to fish for the fish that are on, either off-shore or in-shore. So if someone can help me I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cabo

Just returned from there, fished with Cabo Magic, not to bad, price is about the same, $400 to $500 for a 30 to 32 footer, Got a lot of Mahi, and 1 stripped marlin, 2nd day fished in shore for Rooster fish, alot of fun, used a guy off the marina dock, only about $150 for the day. Your best bet, go to the marina the day before, and scout out for the best price. you can wheel & deal with these guys, look at the boat and work the best price.. **** luck have fun, cabo is great fishing...

·
Registered
726 Posts
I chartered with Picante Sportfishing. You can check them out on the web.
We hit 3 Striped Marlin and a number of Dorado. Their boats were also newer 32 Cabo Express'

Not the cheapest, but they knew where the fish were. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Also, if you are taking your wife or girlfriend and want to have a really nice dinner, go to the restaurant at the Esperanza Resort. The tables are outside on the side of a cliff that overlooks Lands End. The view is spectacular and this resort is amazing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try Pisces Fleet, too

They run a good operation...8 of The Trolling Stones went there last year and caught around 35 stripes in 3 days, we put 4 guys each on 2 boats (anymore is too crowded, since they run 35' Bertrams for the most part)...Pisces is consistantly tops on the catch chart...practice you pitch casting with level-winds before you go...they sight-fish for stripes down there - they run and gun when they see pelicans and sea-otters working baitfish - the stripes will be right under them...you can troll, but the best method is pitch casting...the mates are usually pretty good at it, but will let you cast - if your first few are good ones!...if not, they like to do it for you - again, to keep up their catch rates

·
Registered
576 Posts
Depends how many guys you want to fish. If it's just you or another guy, a 28 or 30' at the Marina is fine. I use ABY Charters every year since they give us a good rate for 3 days we fish. I usually do a 1/2 day which is 5 hrs. Full day is 7-8 hrs. Every angler requires a fishing license which is purchased at the Marina. Work that out with your charter and find out who is buying the license and if the price includes it. A license is 11 bucks and can only be used on the day you fish.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I chartered Picante by myself. The crew found fish (marlin is what they like to take you for) but would go for other species if you asked. The Capt spoke English which is good (some of the smaller boats they do not) and everything was first class. They spot fish for Marlin a lot, and I was allowed up at the helm to actually drive and look for them, then cast out the rigs with live bait on them when we found them and hook up. Make sure you can do this when you charter, some boats fish, cast, hook everything and then hand you the rod. The did use Penn Senators on my boat (when the marlin run, DO NOT touch the drag wheel, it will burn you :eek: )

Have fun! The Nowhere bar in the marina is a fun time too and great for watching the boats come in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I fished with Picantes in November. 9 guys 2 boats, 4 days. They are by far the best, cleanest and fastest boats in the fleet unless you know a private owner. These boats rival a private boat either way. They fihs all Cabos from 31-45 feet, captains speak english, mates do as well. Rods and reels on the boats we fished were TLDs for pitching and Tiagras for trolling. If you only have 2 people check out their Picannitos. 24 ft Shamrocks for $300 per 5 hour day. They fish for Sierra, Roosters and alos Dorado, Marlin and Tuna.

Fishing when we were there was good, but not as good as the previous year thanks to El Nino. We caught 1-2 Stripeys each day, plenty of Dorado and 20 Tuna the one day. We also had 2 guys take a Picanitto out and they caught marlin, roosters, sierra, dorado and a mako. If you go through Picante try to fish with Kilo on the Picanitto or Juan, Gilbert or Eddie on the bigger boats. The best mate in Cabo is Chuarro who works for Picante. He makes a mean civiche for your lunch (you buy the supplies for less than $20 US) and he knows how to catch fish.

Sorry I don't remember the names of the places we ate, but there are plenty of good bars and restaruants. Baja Junkie and Cabo Wabo are my favorite bars. Have fun and just ignore the guys trying to sell you cigars and everything else around the marina.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.