BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For my birthday, my wife got me a $50 gift cert for Basspro Shops. I'm normally on a low budget, so I want to use this money to get some nice lures for a change. I'm going to be using them for sod banks, CISP, backbay stuff, both day and night. I'm not sure what models and what colors to get. If you have some time and don't mind, could you hit the Basspro site and pick out some lures for me? I searched a bit and they have some Long A's 16, but not in black, which I've read is good for night. They got some Yozuris which are expensive, but since I have the money, I won't mind getting them too.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Al

·
Registered
908 Posts
MirrOlure 52mr...nightstalker
Storm Wildeye...3 & 4" Bunker pattern
Zoom Superfluke...white pearl (prefer bubblegum)

[ 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Ok AL, I Love these questions,,,

Brent, we are right on the same track..

Alright,this gift certificate is burning a hole in my pocket and I am ordering these today....

#47 NightStalker MirrOlure 52MR
Yo-Zuri Mag Popper #05 Mullet
Storm Wildeye Shads #8 Bunker 3"&4"
Bomber Long 16A #58 Chicken Scratch & #57 Spanish Mackerel

You are right about Black at Night and I didn't see too much in black on that website but the above will get you started in the backbays and then on the beach...
Start with that Black MirrOlure and Storm Shads at night,around first light break out that Yo-Zuri Mag Popper.Then once the action stops in the back take your Bombers and Shads over to the Surf...

Another point is, don't rule out trying other color lures at night,like that Spanish Mack BOMBER.I have a friend that just crushes fish
with it under the lights around bridges....

Good Luck

[ 06-15-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I haven't used them much in the back but th 5" storm in Golden Mullt is just smokin the big stripers for me right now. I have 4" and 6" also and the bass are only keyed in on the 5" right now. Strikes is the back water encyclopidia so I have pretty much picked up about everything he has mantioned for the last two years.....As opposed to the all black Bomber that is a great lure I prefer the black/purple.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have my best luck on Bubblegum zoomzs, and bloody mary fin-s, also my ABSOLUTE GOTO LURE season after season and almost garuntees a strike is the suspending yozuri crstal minnow..the silver and black model

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
.... don't go plastic crazy and forget those bucktails
BassPro has a really good knockoff of the Spro bucktails for less $$..

Some gammi trebels, bulk pack of split rings and a decent split ring plier maybe? It is a gift that keeps on giving

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
flourocarbon leader
couple of clouser minnows flies
swivels
purle/black bomber asalt (about 6" size)

pink fin "S"
jig heads (couple of packs...one in red and one in orange)

couple of bucktails
pack of mister twister white worms (I forget the length but longer the better)

And you are set my man...tie some leaders with the flourocarbon for fishing the black bomber at night...swivel, drop loop for teaser fly, then 18 inches to the black/purple asalt bomber...if you can a jointed bomber, even better. This is a great set up for nighttime...I have caught blues, weaks, flounder, and lots of bass on it ! But only near and after dark.

Take some flourocarbon leader and tie a swivel with a surgeons knot (near the middle of the line), then take the trailing ends and tie a bucktail on the longer leg and a orange jig head on the other leg of the hanging leader. Make sure the twolegs are not the same length (bucktail longer and jig head about 10 inches above the bucktail)...this creates a umbrella type of movement when you jig the baits up and down. Tip you jig minnow only and the bucktail gets a strip of squid (shedder oil). Hot ticket for fluking.

Pink Fin "s" for anytime...great all around daytime jig combo...on bottom for fluke and in he middle for the weakfish...bluefish will always just find it anywhere...bass will hit them too. Good producer.

And of course, the buctail/mister twister backer...great combo...everything likes it...I also like the squid trailer when the fish are not aggresively feeding...seems to work better.

That's enough guidance from me for about one year...just thought you should spread around your money with an assortment that you can fish anytime of day or night! I prefer night fishing but the fishing was very good for fluke today...I enjoy good day of fluking. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. Just remember that the choices I need, have to come from Basspro Shops. They have a big assortment of lures and plastic, but not the popular black lures and pinkies. They do have some plastics that are clear/pink or white/pink.

If they don't have the productive lures in black, I can always paint them myself if you recomend a good model.

MakeMeNuts, funny you brought up the Mister Twister white worm. That's my number one, favorite bait. I get about 10 packs per year(20 per bag) and they are only about $2.50. I use them at night from bridges and that's all I throw. I catch stripers, blues, weakies(limited out a few times) and fluke with em. When I drift durieng the day, I have a jighead, white worm, and bait. I took my bother-in-law fishing for his first time ever. On his first cast with a 1/2oz jig and white worm, he nails a 35" striper.

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Al

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I placed my order, thanks for the help.

Qty Item Number Description Amount

1 38-240-815-85 Bass Assassin® Saltwater Shad - 4" - Opening Nite $ 2.49

3 38-297-208-47 MirrOlure® Classic Family Lure - 52MR - Nightstalker $ 14.97

1 38-227-236-59 Yo-Zuri® Crystal Minnow® - Floating - 4-3/8" - Blue/Pink $ 6.95

1 38-255-830-57 Bomber® Long "A" - Magnum Shallow Runner 16A - Spanish Mackerel $ 5.99

1 38-447-001-25 Mustad® All-Purpose Hook - Model 3407SS - #5/0 $ 1.39

1 38-201-312-05 Yo-Zuri® Mag Popper? - 1 oz - Mullet $ 9.95

Subtotal $ 41.74
Shipping $ 7.95
Tax $ 0.00
Gift Card -$ 50.00
Total $ 0.00

Thanks, once I get them I'll question how to use em.
al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts