NJ State
No Regulations

Federal
No Regulations North of Cape Hatteras, NC

·
Registered
32,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That?s good because I already ate one. I checked for regs but could not find any. I assumed they were not regulated by New Jersey as they were rarely even in our waters. Just like the PA game commission doesn?t have a limit on how many zebras you can shoot during hunting season.

I went over the difference between the AJ and the rudderfish very thoroughly before coming to the decision that they were AJs. I caught them at 3FB and 4FB buoys. No bars at all and a dark stripe across their eyes. See post on offshore forum.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
Are you sure you're looking at an Amberjack?

It could be a Banded Rudderfish!

Strikes! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :D
Yep, Its That Time Of The Year Isn't It :D
I got Obsessed With Them Last Year...
What A Fight............

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by YoungGun24:
I know I am Bruce. :D

I'll be going down Thursday night after the Birds game and will check it out.
Matt,
Keep Us Informed...... ;) Good Luck....

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Hey let the rest of us in the scoop about the rudderfish. I don't fish your city NightStrikes, but I fish similar bridges, sodbanks, etc.. a few towns south. What am I missing?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

Banded Rudderfish

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
These little suckers(RudderFish) come inside the Inlets
and just love structure.....It's sometimes
just pure entertainment watching them swim
together......
Tuff to get a bite , but its possible,, then
Hold On!!! The Run like A Freight Train........

[ 08-25-2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
32,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These guys were not inshore. They were 15 miles out in the ocean hanging under the buoys. 4FB had quite a few of them. They were easy to get a bite from. We threw them minnows and cut mackerel and they were all over it. Each one we had on the line would be followed in by 5 or 10 others. It was like catching schoolie dolphin.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Scott,
Yes, Your Fish Offshore sound like AmberJacks,,

We had Rudderfish Inside Last Summer.........

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
From my diving days I can tell you there are big amberjacks around more of our wrecks than you think. One of the best is within the boundaries of the ww reef. It's an old wreck and I don't know if it's listed in the reef book. The state record came from there. If I remember right it was 70 lbs. They look like a 4 foot bluefish swimming around you. :eek:

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by aimless2:
From my diving days I can tell you there are big amberjacks around more of our wrecks than you think. One of the best is within the boundaries of the ww reef. It's an old wreck and I don't know if it's listed in the reef book. The state record came from there. If I remember right it was 70 lbs. They look like a 4 foot bluefish swimming around you. :eek:
WHERE THEY ABOVE THE WRECK??

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by aquasport190:
The smaller ones are awesome eating. I even ate some sushi style.
SCOTT---NEXT TIME CHECK THE TOILET FOR SWIMMERS?

BADFINGER-COOKED ME SOME DRUM AND STRIPERS ON MY FOREMAN GRILL.I SAID WHERE WAS THE CHEESE HE SAID THERE IS ENOUGH WORMS IN BOTH TO GIVE IT THAT MELTED RUNNING FLAVOR.GET TO KNOW WHAT GOOD IS.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Biggest, They cruise around about 10 feet above the wreck. Florida people have told me they like live bait, but I heard the record one was caught on a bucktail. I found a broken spear on a that wreck once and assumed a diver lost that fight. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.