BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kids and 2 stepkids .My 2 are girls ages 13 who doesn't care for fishing but will go with me sometimes and then I have a 5 yr old who you will probably see on the WBT tour when she grows up(loves to fish) and then I have a 9yr old stepdaughter who will go if she has to but has fun when she does and then I have a 10 1/2 yr old stepson and he is who I am asking for the help with. He lives with his father is only at our house every other weekend and he loves his father and that is awesome but his father is extremely overweight and has no interest plus he always sells the kids dreams and his idea of taking the kids out is goin to Old Country Buffet and thats not a joke and the kids love it.So what I am asking is for some ideas on how to get him into fishing because at this point all he wants to do when he is here is sit around and watch TV,play game,eat and torture his little sisters.The kid never goes out .I've asked him to go fishing with me a couple of times and says no but this weekend he went with me to Frankford Arsonel on Saturday and some of you may have seen us because I know I saw a couple of bassbarn stickers on cars.As soon as we got there he pulled out a chair sat down and looked bored and it was long after that when we were leaving.I would really like for him to get into fishing,I know he would like it. I don't have a son but really wish I did hang with and do things with. I have my 5 yr old and I hope she always loves it but I'm sure you guys can relate to wanting a son to pass your knowledge to and to just sit back and be proud when he catches something.So if anyone has some pointers for on how to get him interested or maybe someone has a son close in age and would like to maybe get together sometime and maybe having another kid there will help him see that it is fun. It really eats at me when he just sits around like he does and doesn't want to do anythig because when I was a kid I always wanted to go and do stuff but my father never did.I just can't understand these kids today.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
bassin.........

I am only 22, but when I was at age 10 or 11, my dad tried the same thing, I could just never get into fishing. So he bought me a fishing videogame, and after getting an idea of how everything works I began to like it. He bought me my own reel and rod, tackle box, etc. This may seem silly to some people, but to me it worked. If I can be of any help let me know.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Leave some fishing magazines layin around. see if he reads em'. Leave a fishin' show on TV. Tell him your watching it and he's more than welcome to as well.
Take him and you daughter(the one that loves to fish) to a park to go fishing, take a movie camera(new, old doesnt matter) have him be the camera guy while you and your daughter fish. see if he gets a desire to fish.
Nick

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It's commendable that you want to spend time with the kid. Fishing can be tough to get a kid that age into, they definately need to be catching in order to stay interested.

You can try making a litlle contest out of it, where he can earn a small award or something if he can catch x number of fish.

Don't limit yourself/him to fishing either. Throw a ball around, take him to a museum (he'd prob like the Star Wars exhibit at the Franklin Inst.) The more quality time you can spend together, the more likely he'll eventually be interested in fishing with you.

Definately take the TV out of the picture though... Your house, your rules.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bring his world into fishing. What I mean is this, when you take him fishing with you, make sure you let him bring his portable video game or w/e he wants. Bring snacks and sandwiches. Allow him to just be there and be introduced to fishing. Then when you least expect it he will be there playing his video game when a nice catty or striper will take off with his bait and hopefully they will both be hooked.

Bottom line don't make fishing so foreign to him especially at first. Even if he is sitting there playing his gameboy or w/e they are now, at least he is THERE and you are spending time together in a place where great memories are just a bite away.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I agree with the above post. Not everyone loves fishing, so find something he likes whether its sports, bikes, skateboarding, camping whatever and enjoy that together. I come from a divorced family so I know this can be tricky. My only advice would be for you to take interest in whatever it is he likes. That might help to build the relationship and be easier at first. Then you can share with him some of the hobbies you have and like.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

To everyone who replied Thank You for the suggestions. I have already tried some of them . I have mags everywhere you look in my house and I have an old gamecube with only one game(Mark Davis Pro Bass Challenge)and he says he likes it and plays it a good bit. I try to make our trips about him too but I think I've been doing it at the wrong time of year.So maybe I will just not try again until it gets nicer and the catching gets easier but if anyone has anymore ideas please tell me.

Thank You

·
Registered
324 Posts
my 2 cents, if you are gonna take him fishing, try to wait until you have a really nice day and go where and when you are going to catch alot of fish my buddy had the same problem and we waited until the herring were running strong in the river, we picked a nice day and the kid came out with us he caught fish non-stop and that is what hooked him, kids get bored quick.

·
Registered
487 Posts
help

Take him to a bass tournament event.Maby if he sees he can make money fishing ,Maybe it will spark something.It seemed like it worked for most of us bass guys. Chasing a dream. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Mr.bassindaddy, you cant force him to like fishing, if you try you might push him away from the sport, having him every other weekend is tough, how well do you get along with his father? Maybe a family camping week-end, with the father, is instore. Get his feet wet, I dont know a kid who doesnt like the freedom of the great outdoors. Good Luck my friend.

·
Registered
427 Posts
im 14 so i might give you a good idea
and yea i like to fish but i also like to ride my bike and skateboard if you want him to just get up and do stuff get friends involved. If you want some father stepson time find a pond that the fish will smack a lure or worm every cast my counsin found one and told my dad you should teach him to try catch some fish its boring when your not catching at our age but when you hit fish all the time then its great but hey look at evry one i no alot of my friends do the same thging but they all play that x box 360 and yea some times i dont like to do stuff just kick back but just try different things if he likes to eat find a close restruant or food store and walk to it and talk to it

hope i help and if u cant find a pond ill try to find one for you but you cant tell no one just give me an idea where you live

·
Registered
281 Posts
Kids need instant gratification, like a video game. They get bored easy if no action. Drive up the Poconos to a pay Trout hatchery. It's worth the few bucks you'll spend. He'll be busy the whole time, and he can eat what he catches. That got my 3 hooked at an early age. I still have the pics when they were maybe 5 and 7 years old with a big pile of fat trout.

·
Registered
688 Posts
kids

I still have to pull teeth to get them to go;) With all the pictures and hipe I give them when they get one, I guess it's not there bag:rolleyes: No matter what it takes to get them there..you cant beat the smile when they get one! Well worth the aggravation:D By the way where the guys with the R/C trucks down the Arsenal...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts