BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard for a few days and may be able to squeeze in a few hours of fishing. Any ideas on where I can hit the beach with some plugs without too much of a hassle?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where we're staying but I will have a car.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Take a ride down to Menemsha, Stanley at the first fish store there at the Harbor will tell you where to try. I would try on Lobsterville beach before first light. Good Luck! We were up there the second week of June and there were Stripers everywhere!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Some of the easiest places are the Big Bridge between Edgartown and Oak Bluffs-don't forget the inside. At low tide you might see Bass lying in the wash boards. Can be very frustrating!

Around the Steam Ship dock in Oak Bluffs.

While Lobsterville is good, parking can be an issue at this time of year.

I have other ideas but..... :D
When will you be there?
Will you have waders?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
aubv,
Your right about the parking. I didn't think of the time of year it is. When we are there in June there's really no one around.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tx for the replies!

"Aubv"
July 17 thru July 22
I'll take my waders & korkers if it helps.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i was in truro out on the cape last week.....only managed one bass and a bluefish from the surf......went oout on a charter and limited out by 7 am.....6 of the fish over 40 inches.......

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tx again!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil, I'll be staying in Chatham from Sun. until Thur.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If your staying in Chatham...and your just looking for a quick place to get out for a couple of hours, the easiest place to hit would be Chatham Inlet by the Twin lights...you follow main street through the center of town to a T...make a right and there is a small parking lot on the left by the lighthouses and a set of stairs to get down the beach.

The inlet changes year to year and every year it seems to sand in more but generally in front of the lot, there is a small flat that leads to deep water...as you make your way right towards the point there is a very deep bowl that stays that way until you reach the point. Good tides to hit the point and bowl area are a falling tide, specially about 2 hours before low and around low slack. On a higher tide say an incoming near the top, you can walk to the left plugging until you hit a rock wall...that strecth can hold fish as well. Generally you'll find smaller school fish although at any time you can find much bigger fish in that inlet...Lot of current in the inlet and also about 10ft tidal swing(thats for all the beach...you'll see the difference between high and low and be impressed the first time you see it)

One other thing you can do is walk around the point and walk to your right....this beach is called South Beach and goes on for quite a ways...about 2 miles until it ends in a point and spectacular set of rips. Generally a high tide falling is good there, as with low water there isnt much water there and the outer bars are exposed. Lot of times bass will push sandeels right up against the beach there. Nice place to walk and plug or flyfish....at night on falling water you can go point to point and fish little rips that form that fish often sit in....on incoming high during the day even, sometimes you'll see fish pushing sandeels...South beach is also a nice walk for the wife and you can fish here and there too...sometimes lots of seals chasing the bass that are chasing the sandeels...interesting show.

Little bit north of there in the town of Orleans is Nauset beach....large parking and bathing area...you pay to park and then walk left towards Nauset inlet (1 1/2miles) or right and fish points and bowls...again high water falling(around low can be very good)...lot of times during the day you can just blind plug or flyfish and pick up stray fish, here or there....night can be very good, if the baits there. If you walk left and get to the inlet...lot of current very good for plugging, usually fish there...

There the two closest places to Chatham that have easy access...if you want some more info on the beaches north(Backbeaches of the Nat Seashore)..give me a call on my cell (215)768-1624 and I can give you detail....

Good luck...and enjoy...one of the most beautiful places left on the east coast to bass fish in the surf.

Phil L

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by aubv:
Some of the easiest places are the Big Bridge between Edgartown and Oak Bluffs-don't forget the inside. At low tide you might see Bass lying in the wash boards.
I agree, and caught many right in the wash on plastics there before sunrise. You cant miss it, remember the movie? It is known as the Joseph Sylvia State Beach, along beach road.
I also liked going out on chappaquiddick at wasque beach and east beach. Go to Menemsha Harbor as I heard there are fish there as well, although I struck out there, but the scenary is nice. Its where Quint parked his boat. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts