BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrapped up my first year of yakking last Friday by snapping off the rudder to my Hobie! My man up at Finatics just so happened to have a new one in stock, so I am looking to replace it this weekend. Here is my question.....the lines that are attached to the rudder are pretty wore down. I'm guessing re-stringing the whole thing would be pricey and/or time consuming if I can do it myself. Is there any way that i can strengthen the existing lines by maybe wrapping some tape around them or something??? Was hoping there was an old yak trick that maybe someone knows!

Let me toss a couple more questions out there....

1) Why use the minnow tube instead of the normal minnow bucket? I have just been using a normal minnow bucket and tossing it in the yak somewhere when I am moving.

2) How do you know where to launch a yak on the beach to be able to find fish? Not looking to burn any spots, just looking for some direction. I live in EHT, so I fish anywhere from Ventnor all the way down to SIC. My original thought was trying by the fishing pier in margate so I at least had a vantage point to go from.

3) Looking to get a fish finder for next spring. What is my best bet???

I spent my summers growing up on the Toms River and in the Barnegat Bay, so I'm still getting used to the water down here. Been fishing the backbays on my waverunner for the past 7 or 8 years and I had a blast on the yak this year. I may not have caught the number of fish that I had aimed for, but I sure had fun learning!!! These forums have been an awesome way to learn all new kinds of info. Looking forward to March.... thanks for the help! :bow:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
2) How do you know where to launch a yak on the beach to be able to find fish? Not looking to burn any spots, just looking for some direction. I live in EHT, so I fish anywhere from Ventnor all the way down to SIC. My original thought was trying by the fishing pier in margate so I at least had a vantage point to go from.

I'm always looking for new places to launch from in the rivers/backbays . I use Google/Bing maps to look for possible put-ins and then I take a ride to see for myself. As far as the beach launching, I would drive up numerous streets and look out on the water from the highest point of the dunes. Do I see birds working anywhere? Bait schools churning up the water? Boats working an area hard? All visible signs that something good may be going on there. Then again, sometimes you won't find any indicators just by looking at the water. If all else fails go out and troll, troll, troll.

Sometimes you don't know whats going on out there until you get out on the water. Of course, remember that safety come first. If there is good fishing going on in front of you but you don't like the launch conditions it is worth it to go move up or down the beach to where you can safely get through the surf zone.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I retrung my ouback last winter. I used 70lb Berkley braid, works great.

The bait tube is less drag if left in the water and less likely to get caught up with fighting a fish.

Google Earth is :thumbsup: look for deep water close to shore and dept changes

Fish Finders are a must have to help find good bottom structure. I am fond of Hummnbird. Lowrance makes some good FF also. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cheap Eagle Cuda. I had 1 that blew out the first time it got wet.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine went in the first year as well but my dealer said it was a warranty issue and did it for me...love Sterling Harbor. Good idea waterbug..I was wondering about using a heavy braid and you answered that....that's why I like this place , some one smarter is always out there to give advice. see you next year 'bug !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello BNice1121 Corsons is a good yak spot. Just some days those jet skis get heavy. Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
You can simply replace just a section as long as its long enough that the knot doesnt hang up. Ive started to wax the string with bow wax near the rudder.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey bnice. im in EHT too. come march and such if you wanna fish up the river think about going out jeffers landing rd, theres a spot at the bend to put in. the old lp-oc pier is good spot too rite under the bridge. kennedy park or even dog beach is somtimes calm enough to put in. corsons is always a good spot too, was down that way last week and there is a big dredge in the middle of the channnel. i have a old enclosed kayak that i rigged/rigging for fishing. even made a mount for a elec trolling motor(im lazy). hope to see ya out there.tight lines

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Having the fishfinder makes it a much easier task finding good water. But for now look for sodbanks that look like they drop straight down. Large chunks of these banks breal off at times and give the fish ambush spots to hold in. Also watch the surface for disturbances in the current. Many times the disturbance is caused by a depth change that may hold fish. Also in low light conditions a big flat can hold a lot of fish. Ones near sodbanks with little creeks in them especially.

Once you get the fishfinder you can start watching it for structure. I prefer the larger screen than the cuda type FF's. I have a Lowrance mark-5x and think it's perfect if you don't mind not having color. It has decent resolution and plenty of power unless you're in really deep water, and it's easy on the battery. Inexpensive enough for me to not mind it too much if it only lasts me 2-3 years from constantly getting salt water all over it.

Try to get to know a few people and get out with them. Most of us have no problem sharing knowledge and spots with other yakkers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts