BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, here's some information that was posted on SOL about the chance to let the governor of VA know that we wish that he will sign the bill that will cap the number of menhaden that can be harvested.

SAVE THE STRIPERS

MENHADEN ACTION ALERT
Your help needed in implementing menhaden cap in Virginia

1/19/06 -- We were pleased to report to you in August 2005 that the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission?s (ASMFC) Menhaden Management Board took final action to set a limit on the amount of menhaden that can be taken from Chesapeake Bay. The Commission capped the harvest of the reduction fishery (not the bait fishery) at 105,800 tons, the average catch over the last 5 years. This cap is to remain in place for at least 5 years, while a new research program is underway to better understand the menhaden overfishing problem.

To be in compliance with the ASMFC's ruling, the State of Virginia must implement a cap on the menhaden reduction fishery in its waters of the Bay in 2006. Maryland, the only other state bordering the Chesapeake, already prohibits fishing for reduction in its state waters.

In the next 30 days, Virginia will make a decision that will dramatically impact the Chesapeake Bay and fish ? like striped bass ? that thrive in it. Virginia public officials will decide whether to cap the industrial harvest of menhaden. Often called the most important fish in the sea, menhaden are the prime food source for a variety of popular sport and commercial fish. Like oysters, they are also an important filter feeder for bay waters. The overall number of menhaden is near historic lows, and scientific studies show that striped bass, which rely on it as a major food source, are suffering from malnutrition, poor body condition and disease.

Your action is needed now. Please contact Virginia?s new governor, Tim Kaine, and tell him that menhaden matter and ask him to support the cap.

Sample letter:

Dear Governor Kaine,

With your leadership, Virginia has an opportunity to protect the Chesapeake Bay and many popular sport and commercial fish by adopting the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) decision to cap the industrial harvest of menhaden in the bay. The cap is a precautionary measure, based on sound science, that will maintain the catch at recent levels so that no jobs will be lost. Often called the most important fish in the sea, menhaden are a key food source for striped bass and other sport and commercial fish as well as a filter for bay waters.

Your leadership on this issue is critical. Please show Virginians that menhaden matter and support the ASMFC decision now. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely

# # #

Learn more about our Save the Stripers campaign

Donate to our Save the Stripers campaign (part of our "Conserving Marine Ecosystems" program)

Get more background on this issue

NCMC opposes blanket no-fishing zones. Learn more about our position on marine protected areas.

© 1999-2006 National Coalition for Marine Conservation
4 Royal Street SE, Leesburg, VA 20175 USA
All Rights Reserved

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
address or fax #??

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Want to e-mail Governor Kaine? Use our handy Web form.

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 1475
Richmond, Virginia 23218

Street address:
Office of the Governor
Patrick Henry Building, 3rd Floor
1111 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219

Phone Numbers:
Phone: (804) 786-2211
Fax: (804) 371-6351
TTY/TDD (For the Hearing Impaired):
1-800-828-1120, or 711

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
We are going to feature this post as well, I hope everyone can take the time to send a letter.
*Remember Bunker is the #1 Food Source for Stripers...

Thanks,,,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the email that you'll get when you contact the governor. Let's see how many of these replies we can post in this thread. I say that we try to get at least ten pages of governor response emails. Who's game?

<[email protected]>
01/20/2006 02:55 PM
To:<[email protected]>
Subject
Re: Your Message

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I
appreciate your interest in issues that impact the Commonwealth of
Virginia.

Sincerely,

Tim Kaine
Governor of Virginia

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Beware - Crime Scenes -
-------------------------------------------------

Menhaden fishing - menhaden in the hold of the mother vessel. These fish are used for fertilizer and pet food.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sent mine, got my reply:

To: [email protected]
Cc:
Bcc:
Subject: Re: Your Message
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:47:25 -0500
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I
appreciate your interest in issues that impact the Commonwealth of
Virginia.

Sincerely,

Tim Kaine
Governor of Virginia

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here's a update on some of the happenings down in Virginia yesterday..
-----------------------------------------------
VIRGINIA HOLDS CRITICAL HEARING ON MENHADEN BILL
Public Urged to Attend and Show Support

The Virginia House of Delegates on Thursday, January 26th, will hold a subcommittee hearing on HB 749, a bill to implement a cap on the industrial harvest of Atlantic menhaden in Chesapeake Bay. The cap was approved by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission last August. It is now up to Virginia, as a member of the Commission, to implement the cap on the Bay reduction fishery, which fishes out of a Virginia port in Virginia waters.

If the Commonwealth of Virginia fails to set the same limits as the ASMFC - a cap of 105,800 tons a year for 5 years - the state will be faced with sanctions by the U.S. Department of Commerce, leading to a possible moratorium on all menhaden fishing in state waters.

National Coalition for Marine Conservation president Ken Hinman will be testifying at the Chesapeake subcommittee hearing, along with other members of the alliance, Menhaden Matter.

Members of the public are urged to attend and show their support for HB 749 in front of the Virginia assembly, a body that historically has refused to set limits on the state's menhaden reduction fishery. (The menhaden fishery is regulated by the legislature; all other fisheries are regulated by the Marine Resources Commission.)

The subcommittee hearing will begin at 5 p.m. on the fifth floor West in the General Assembly Building in Richmond. The Assembly meets at Capital Square, between 10th and 11th Streets.
Word late last night was that all the House Bills got killed and only one Senate Bill remains. I will follow the situation and will reports what happens next..

[ 01-27-2006, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
This year, menhaden limit got away
The General Assembly probably won't cap harvest of the fish through 2010, after a House committee tables the bill.

BY FRED CARROLL
247-4756
January 27, 2006

RICHMOND -- A House of Delegates committee most likely ensured Thursday that the General Assembly will not cap the annual Atlantic menhaden harvest through 2010.

The move puts Virginia at odds with the multistate commission that regulates commercial fishing on the East Coast.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission wanted the cap of nearly 106,000 metric tons in place by July 1 to restrict fishing as biologists studied whether too many of the small, oily fish are being hauled from the Chesapeake Bay.

The House committee tabled a bill sponsored by Del. John Cosgrove, R-Chesapeake. The Senate has yet to consider a companion bill, but the cap is unlikely to win approval this session unless the House committee changes its stance.

The menhaden stock is considered healthy, but some researchers worry that not enough young fish are surviving to replenish the population.

Environmentalists and recreational fishermen endorsed the bill. Overfishing could hinder efforts to restore the bay's health, because menhaden filter out nutrients and are a source of food for sporting fish, including striped bass.

Omega Protein, which employs about 260 at its Northern Neck plant, opposed the cap. A company spokesman has said the cap unfairly restricted the business. The cap essentially targeted Virginia and Omega Protein because other states have restrictions on harvesting menhaden with large nets that can scoop up a school of fish.

The 15-state fisheries commission can refer Virginia to the U.S. Department of Commerce if the state doesn't comply with the cap. The department has the power to halt commercial menhaden fishing.

[ 01-27-2006, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Beware - Crime Scenes -

Menhaden fishing - menhaden in the hold of the mother vessel. These fish are used for fertilizer and pet food.
Sorry I looked real close I didn't see any crimes. Hell be a man and tip your hat that guys out bustin his ***. They have not broken one law except keepin a handful of bass for dinner a few years ago. None of us were there but those bass were supposedly caught on rod and reel. That is the only crime that these men have committed.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Heck I'll send ya a christmas card next year.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
That ain't nothing wait till I buy Omega. I'm gonna march the Saints right through the Cape May rock pile so Harv and Skippy best move. Then under two mile and all the way into Wildwood. Instead of blastin Sirus I will be rockin the House with " oh when the saints come marchin in "

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.
Is there anything wrong with saving some fish for our kids and their kids?
:confused:

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
The Crime is the fact that most of all these bunker will be used for Pet Food and Fertilizer.
What for Fat Cats and Green Lawns... What A Waste.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts