BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do mostly fresh water and can use some tips on flounder rigs,technics,bait size/type+artificial, tackle/line size any info that would help would be great.I'll be fishing from boat in B-bay or Grt-bay and probably going for Weakies also.... Thanks in advance JK :confused: :D

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
Keep it simple. One or two hook rig, minnie/squid sandwich on each hook, lightest weight that will hold bottom. Braided line nice in deeper water.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jim,
I myself was a sweetwater fisherman for 20 years and only switched to the salt last year. had a very tough time getting info from most people as they feel that they learned the hard way. I had great success finally this year with the stripers, and was able to finally get great results on the fluking front at the end of last year. As a fellow freshie fisherman, i will try and give you my best tips.
Use basic one or two hook bucktails for fluking. you should be able to find them at any local bait shop or i have been able to get some great deals on them on ebay (keyword fluke rigs). then i would set that rig up with as light a weight as possible to get it to bounce off the bottom (most of the time i use 1oz.) i like to set that up with a killie/squid combo, that basically means a 2 to 3 inch long triangle shaped piece of squid with all skin taken off, hooked with the point at the bottom and the hook through the top part of the triangle. then top that off with some live killie (basically a sea minnow) take a live one and then hook him through the back or mouth. you should be able to find live killie at the bait shop. If you can't find any, then just use the squid.
Then find your spot, structure edges or a nice flat depending on where you fish out off. let the boat drift and drop to the bottom. you want to then feel the weight hit the bottom and immediately then flip the tip of you rod to make a bouncing action with your rig. make sure to keep bouncing the rod and not letting it drag. as soon as you feel that the drift is taking your bait then let out your line out and make sure that you are bouncing off the bottom. find a nice drift and i can guarantee this will do the trick.
let me know how it turns out for you.
good luck

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Jim, set up a couple of rods w/ different rigs on each. This past sunday, we tried fluke rigs w/ wht deer hair and small colorado blades, then chartruse w/ the same blade. We tipped each rig w/ a different color berkley 3'" shrimp. It was very quicky determained that the chartruse w/ the natural color shrimp out produced the other rigs by 4/1. Also try different depths of water, once you find the area producing, continue to drift over the same local area. The only other bit of advice is be observant, watch the other boats in the area and if any are doing short drifts or long drifts and then picking up and going over the area continuously, watch their moves. Are they jigging the rod, holding it in a rod holder and dead sticking. Are they in a center of the channal, or at the edge drifting up or down a side of the channel. Don't be quick to join the large mass of boats go off to the edge and fish the outer areas.
Tom

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Really Good Stuff Here,
Younger,Deanald & Saltyflyfisherman Thanks..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey jim I fish great bay a lot and the best rig to use is a 3/8 shad dart tipped with a minnow. If you use a spinning rod with 8-10 lb line just the dart and minnow you will kill them the best colors are red/white and green/white. The most important thing is to make sure it is on the bottom let out a lot of line then jig it real slow you will usualy just feel a heavy weight alot of times they just grab it and dont hit real hard. Dicks has the darts and most shops down there carry them. Good Luck

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Good advice above
Also keep in mind that Fluke fishing is very very weather dependent. Alot of things must be right to catch fish. Wind speed, current, tides etc.
Persistance is the key.
Last Sat. I fished from 6:00 AM to 12:30 without a keeper, But I knew I was fishing the right spots with the right rigs and bait. As soon as the tide changed at 12:30 the bite was on, I caught 7 keepers in 30 minutes.
Here is the thread.
http://www.thebassbarn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=008866
Good Luck,
Joe

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
All good advice already provided. You can also strip up sea robins and sharks for bait and works real well. I have had good luck using a fish finder rig with a plain hook on a 36 in leader and once you catch fish keep working the area making short drifts. Also, make sure you are bouncing the bottom. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Jim,

Here's one more option. We rarely ever drift for fluke in the back bays. Instead, we set up with a little heavier weight (2 or 3 oz.) at the end of the line, attach a snelled 3/0 Kahle style hook on a 12-18" leader about 10-15" above the weight and then troll as slowly as we can. Try different approaches (parallel to the sand bars, across the bar from deep to shallow, etc.) until you find what they want. For bait we use a plain killie or a killie with a squid strip.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
In great bay in the shallows the shad dart is very effective, but bobber fishing is also productive in that area just using a plain minnow. In barnegat bay where there is some real nice deep holes I like to use snapper blues for bait for the big fluke. Use a small cast master or sabiki rig to catch the snappers near docks or sod banks. I rig them on a circle hook with 2-3 ounces of weight. You'll be suprised at how hard your rod gets hit ;)

Hope all the input everyone has given ya puts you on fish!!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great stuff I'm taking notes...looks like we will be going out of Chestnutneck Mar. sat,sun,mon according to my bro-in-law it's his boat.I can't miss with these tips ,again thanks everyone for your knowledge JK.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Barrell I know what you mean. I to have always felt I could hold my own with flounder but this year is terrible for me. I see shobies doing better.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I'm not having trouble catching them just catching keeper size ones, loads of shorts! Beats not catching anything at all though.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Far be it for me to tell anyone here how to fish for Flounder. I did do a little research and found an article on catching "BIG FISH" it sounded good to me. Again I am a flounder rookie but I have been fishing for 33 yrs. How does it sound to you guys maybe ital help,not sure if I should post this but what the hell??????? Of course he is trying to sell something though.......

So you want to catch Big Fish ????

Fishing, hunting out and trying to catch a fish with a Hook-Line & Sinker
Catching is a byproduct of Good Fishing !

The information herein following is not for those looking to catch a lot of fish, but more so for those wishing to catch quality size fish, FLUKE in particular. There is no cheap way around what I'm about to inform of, foremost purchase the Best and do not cut corners. That "Once in a lifetime" fish or lunker could be lost due to someone's unwillingness to get the Best, remember it's your time and money spent fishing for the Big-ones.

It has been my experience over the years, that proves true many points. If you follow these instructions, they should greatly improve your fishing ability to hook BIGGER FISH.
Remember, that there is always that one time that somebody will get THAT BIG ONE, and only that one time---this is by pure luck, because they can not do it again.
Do your homework, know the area your fishing in, learn to use electronics properly.
Don't be a "Party Boat follower", they only produce because they can put many more lines in the water, and they are not seeking LARGE FISH.

First, Big fish are somewhat lazy and reluctant to chase for their food, unless it's worth their while to do so. Somewhat like a person that's grossly overweight, they won't run to get a cupcake but a whole cheesecake would be a different story. Smaller fish are more aggressive and will attack the smallest bait presented to them, they are more agile than a larger fish and will constantly feed to fulfill their needs. Now where does this all lead to??? BAIT.

BAIT--BAIT--BAIT...Unless YOU change your thinking about your Bait selections, Bigger fish will only be a "LUCK" situation for you. Rule of thumb is as follows:
Live is better than Dead, but Dead is better than Plastic and Big is better than Small.
Now the Expert's advice.
Choices are, in no particular order but rather by availability:
Snapper Bluefish, Peanut Bunker, Mullet, Mackerel Belly Strips, Jumbo Killies,
Squid Strip ( 10 to 14 in. ) or Whole Squid ( 5 to 7 in.). I have not mentioned
Fluke Belly strips due to the fact of the No filleting fish at sea law, but that's up to you.
If you haven't noticed, all the above baits are BIG. With these larger baits you are not going to catch a lot of fish, but those that you might catch will not be SHORTS !

HOOKS---RIGS---SINKERS... With these items, they should be proportioned to the larger baits that will be used.
For Hook size I use 6/0 to 8/0..Hook type is Octopus or Bait Holder, I do not prefer
Circle Hooks, but rather a modified type of Circle Hook similar to that offered by Gamakatsu. Some of the local "PRO'S" say they use the smallest hook they can, that way the fish will swallow the hook. This is DUMB, this is how more fish are lost because what happens is that the bait is pulled right out of the fish's mouth before the hook can engage into the fish's jaw.
As for Sinkers or Weights to be used, I use Bank type sinkers that range in sizes from
3 oz. to 12 oz.( most of the time it's 6 to 10 oz.) Now what is important here is "Where & When" you'll be fishing. By this I mean, how deep is the water, how strong is the current, wind conditions and the size of the bait. FACT--it's hard to catch fluke/flounder if your not on the BOTTOM ! All too often I've seen people fishing (from a boat) with lines way-back, in deep water and an incoming or out going tide crying they can't hold bottom. Well sure, because they are only using 1 or 2 oz. of weight. You Know the type, "light tackle fishermen", (more on this later) Or they are too cheap to purchase the required tackle so they will gang cluster several sinkers. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong about light tackle fishing, but it only can be accomplished under special conditions. There is no way you can use a 6 to 10 pound class rod & reel and fish with 10 to 12 oz. of weight in 40 to 60 feet of water and have proper action implied.

Rigs and Rigging.... Today there are many Prerigged rigs available, but remember to keep it simple. My normal Big fish rig is simple, a hook, leader and terminal. First the leader, I use a good quality leader material, either clear or fluorocarbon, in 25 or 30 pound class.
No!, regular fishing line will not cut it. There are those budget minded that claim "it's all the same", but that not true.
The leader length can vary from 18" to 36". If I'm fishing with a fish finder/sinker slide, I tie a barrel swivel to the main line and connect my leader/hook combo to this. If using a 3-way swivel, I prefer to attach my sinker with a dropper loop tied to one leg of the 3-way. This dropper loop is made from either 6 OR 8 pound test line, with lengths of 4,6 or 10". This is all proportionate to sinker size, speed of drift and bait used. Remember, it is easier to make thing shorter than longer.

Lures..Bucktails..other things... Now when it comes using something other than a plain hook, there are numerous concoctions available. Lets start with the bucktail jig. This lure has been around a long time, the problem comes with using the proper size. I have seen many an angler try using these jigs in the 1/8 to 1/2 oz. range, and yes they will catch fish but not the Big One. REMEMBER--when using artificials it's like fly fishing, try to MATCH the HATCH. Also where, how deep and current/drift speed should be taken into consideration. I've seen all too often people using too small a jig, so stay on the bottom they have to let out a long amount of line. the problem here is that the jig is pulled down into the bottom instead of getting the proper jumping action along with line stretch that makes it difficult to get a proper hook-up. Those in the know ( and including myself ) will use bucktails in the
2 to 4 oz. range and make sure they have strong HOOKS. Bucktail jigs can be tipped ( bait added ) with a variety of choices, squid strip, mackerel, pork rind or whatever, experiment- this is what fishing is all about.
Ya, I know on Saturday you saw o'l Billy Bob fishing for Flounder & Sea Trout (Weakfish) in Florida or Texas or wherever, and he was using a 6ft-6 to 8 lb. wooper-dooper rod with a Kamikaze bullet Bass reel, spooled with 8lb. test Death defying ultra strong line, He was using 1/8 to 1/4 oz. Kackenbush Bucktail jigs, tipped with Armadillo scrotum skin, so what !!! Did you notice that they were fishing in a back bay--shallow water---no current and the fish were all of about 12 TO 16 inches ( which would not be legal here ). There is a fellow I know in North Carolina, his name is Capt. Tim, He targets Big fish ( Striped Bass and Fluke) on his charter boat. He has developed and sells a line of lures tailored to catching Big Fish. One of these lure is called the "Squid Sub", they range in size from 2 to 8 oz. and are designed to be rigged with a WHOLE Squid. That's right, a WHOLE Squid, I've seen the results of this unique lure/rig. Capt. Tim is known for catching Very Large Fluke in his area of North Carolina, I'm talking in the 6 to 8 lb. size on the average, with numerous fish in the 8 to 10 lb. range. SEE PICTURE BELOW. Capt.Horling

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
I fish "light action" tackle, Graphite rods, with abu 6000 series, never had a problem with larger fish. I use braided line which is so sensative that I can feel more bites and tugs. I was taught by an old party boat captian who shared stores of people fishing for fluke with tuna outfits :)
I feel that once you use good quality light action tackle you will not go back to bulky heavier rods reels and mono for flounder fishing.
You must use sharp hooks, new ones each time, and good quality leaders, line and enough weight to "firmly" hold bottom.
Joe

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I guy I know who consistently takes a couple fluke a year over 10 ponds uses 4 oz bucktails with the biggest minnows he can catch and does all his fishing under a bridge in 40 feet of water.
Barrell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts