BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a Penn International 975 Lever Drag baitcaster. Now I need a decent rod to match it up with. I may need two different rods... one in 8-9 ft range for tossing bucktails in the summer surf when its laying down calm & one for the boat for jigging up hefty stripers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
Nick

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a Penn International 975 Lever Drag baitcaster. Now I need a decent rod to match it up with. I may need two different rods... one in 8-9 ft range for tossing bucktails in the summer surf when its laying down calm & one for the boat for jigging up hefty stripers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
Nick
Look ticas ,

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
2 different rods would be nice.
but there are a few good blanks for tossing BT's and catching decent size stripers.
we use these in the rips.
and good for up to 1oz or so tails..will cast great, and have caugth some nice size stripers.
give a call , for some info.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For a boat rod the Tsunami Air wave Jigging rod in the 20 to 50 lb class is a GREAT chunking / Jigging rod. Just something for you to look at if you are on a budget

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys... Yeah, aside from custom & high-end rods, Tica seems like a potential suitor. Star is another rod maker who gives u your moneys worth. What do you guys think about Ugly Sticks... are they junk or an economical yet adequate rod? For me, who is on a tight budget, sometimes I think we can get too choosey. Sure, it would be great to have a set-up for every type of fishing we do... but Im just not there yet... close, but still aways to go. I love it all... Dream Job? Fishing Gear Field Tester... Ha! Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I use a 7 Lami-glass Tri-flex 15-30lb class, and the St/Croix Muskie rod as well. If you want togo a bit cheaper the Tsnaumi Air waves are excellent choices. These are what we use but there were many others mentioned that also will work for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think someone else mentioned tsunami rods, i was on a budget a few yrs ago and got a casting rod and a spinning and like them both very much. there not very expensive, less than $90 but are lightweight and come in a variety of sizes and weight ratings which is nice, but ive used them for bass, blues, wreck fishing and fluke with no problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kevin Bogan

I took a rainy day ride to point pleasant on friday and Kevin took the time to show me what he had to offer and im glad i did. You will get excactly what you want and wont break the bank. TK

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I took a rainy day ride to point pleasant on friday and Kevin took the time to show me what he had to offer and im glad i did. You will get excactly what you want and wont break the bank. TK
I agree, you just can't go wrong with fish poison!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks Guys... Yeah, aside from custom & high-end rods, Tica seems like a potential suitor. Star is another rod maker who gives u your moneys worth. What do you guys think about Ugly Sticks... are they junk or an economical yet adequate rod? For me, who is on a tight budget, sometimes I think we can get too choosey. Sure, it would be great to have a set-up for every type of fishing we do... but Im just not there yet... close, but still aways to go. I love it all... Dream Job? Fishing Gear Field Tester... Ha! Thanks
Nick
I have an ugly stick tiger lite I'd be willing to part with. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Quantum

I have a Quantum Bluerunner BRIC 70HA 7ft 10-25 line great rod My friends have st croix and g loomis rods I try them think they are nice but they feel the same to me I caught hundreds of stripers this year with this rod up to 30lbs worked great for me most fish were caght jigging some with bait I have charter special reel but think the 975 is a way better reel very smooth.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I will seconds the tsunami airwave jigging 20-50. great rod.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Not a surf guy and no first hand on that size tsunami but my buddy fishes their lighter spinner and for the cost we def put it through its paces from flounder to bass to mahi and what hes done without me id def check the tsumami for the price u cant go wrong

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to do some research on the Tsunamis... I know they're a good rod for the price. I'm looking for something with a longer butt (insert joke here) and I prefer cork or the new wraps their using. I think a ride out to Cabellas is in order... I was headed there last weekend but we got snowed out... I've never been there but I hear its a really cool place... an outdoorsman's toy store. I really wanna check out a rod in person rather than ordering something blind. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Nick

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have to do some research on the Tsunamis... I know they're a good rod for the price. I'm looking for something with a longer butt (insert joke here) and I prefer cork or the new wraps their using. I think a ride out to Cabellas is in order... I was headed there last weekend but we got snowed out... I've never been there but I hear its a really cool place... an outdoorsman's toy store. I really wanna check out a rod in person rather than ordering something blind. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Nick
Nick,
If you have a local Dick's Just stop in and play with the tsunami.....It has a decent size Butt (LMAO) and they use the new shrink wrap covers on the Eva. I bought the rod on a whim and I tell you what I have used it for Deep Water Fluke Cod Sea Bass Tog Mahi Pollock and Stripers and have been nothing but Satisfied. It is right in the 75 to 90 dollar range and is almost a universal rod. I bet you could even land Small tuna upto like 40 lbs on it with no problem at all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nick,
If you have a local Dick's Just stop in and play with the tsunami.....It has a decent size Butt (LMAO) and they use the new shrink wrap covers on the Eva. I bought the rod on a whim and I tell you what I have used it for Deep Water Fluke Cod Sea Bass Tog Mahi Pollock and Stripers and have been nothing but Satisfied. It is right in the 75 to 90 dollar range and is almost a universal rod. I bet you could even land Small tuna upto like 40 lbs on it with no problem at all.
Which type of tsunami do you have.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tsunami trophy series and ugly stick tiger lite are two excellent choices for nice rods tat won't break the budget.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts