BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never caught a tog in my life, but i would liek to start fishing for them. I have never gone out specificly targeting them. I would like to try for them. I belive that jetties and structures are good spots to fish for them and the time is now so i would like to get out. Now to my question what size hook, how long should the leader be, what tide and etc. any info would be greatly appreciated becasue i dont think they will be around to much longer.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Look at a tackle shop for a top and bottom rig for tog, then make your own. I like 40 lb test, and black or blue hooks. Use green crabs, or Asian crabs found by flipping over rocks. Best time is 1 hour before to 1 hour after the slack tides. High or low tide doesn't matter, but depends on how shallow the spot is at low tide. They are some real nice ones around now, but not for too much longer so get on it. I forget to say, you need a stiff rod with heavy test, I use 50lb power pro. Your drag should be as tight as possible, so they don't run it the rocks or structure.

Go out with the Adam Bomb, he will definitely put you on the meat and show you the ropes. Adam got me a 14-15 lber this year.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here's A Couple of Archive Threads That Were Posted Here In The HomePort Forum From The Last Few Years That Should Be Some Help.Just Click On The Links Below: Good Luck..

Jetty Toggin

Tautog Reports & Tips

[ 04-23-2006, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
562 Posts
i was told 2/0 circle hooks with a 14 inch leader works good so i tried them the other day and now i'm hooked just like the tog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.