BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of tog superstars on here so looking for some help. When do they show up in the back and where can you catch them? I know you use clam and crab - do you drift this like for fluke or just throw it out with a sinker like for bass? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
togg fishermen are tight lipped about where, but over rocks, wrecks,old piers, anchored and on the bottom, by the time you feel the bite your bait is gone thier that quick,

·
Registered
879 Posts
End of April is when you'll start seeing them. Like Freedom mentioned rocky structure is the best start. Anchored is a must or you'll loose all your rigs before you can feel a bite so you don't do either..you don't drift and you don't throw it out. tog are IN the structure so you need to be positioned over and drop your bait into it. Bridge pilings are a good spring spot but is best fished with one person holding the boat and one fishing…(can't anchor on bridges). Later in the season the sod banks will produce but that's a game better explained by the pros (Dan w/ Insomniac). Clam works but native crab are best..hermits and asians.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Deep cut sods are good, look for areas near the inlets where you see alot of structure on the bottom. These will be large chunks of sodbanks that broke off. If you see an area with lots of clam shells wshed up these will probably be a good area to start. I always seem to do better in these spots when the tide is slow or better yet slack. You have a very small window of opportunity for the slack so you have to be set to take advantage. I have had better luck with a running tide using jigs though trying to emulate Insomniacs style, some day I'd like to hire him to learn it the right way, like to get some sheepshead too, just caught my 1st yesterday in FL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
go to a local tackle shop for some high/low rigs and ask for advice or go on a charter. There's some good locals around. I remember a few years ago reading about 2-3 guys that caught a couple hundred tog in the back bay in one afternoon while using whole crabs. they're there.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
in the back its so different, as stated deep cuts on the sods, but an important thing.. i like slow moving water.. meaning a little off the beaten path or top of the tide, get there 2 hours before the top, anchor up and try it out.. bridges are good too but as said can't tie to them... i like crabs only not clams

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
an old salt once taught me that inshore tog will be inplace when you first see dandelions on the lawn.....hasnt ever been wrong ...:D....look over structure, rocks, sod banks, bridges etc...they will be there..

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
an old salt once taught me that inshore tog will be inplace when you first see dandelions on the lawn.....hasnt ever been wrong ...:D....look over structure, rocks, sod banks, bridges etc...they will be there..
Its going to be a late season this year, the water is too cold

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
if you see dandelions, its time to go...cold weather affects them too....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Take it to the bank. Dandelions = Tog

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Igot, couple things.

If there is a wave or small swell you move the rod and follow the drop or rise of the boat. Keeping that sinker still.
Don't be afraid to come down is size of bite tippet and smaller hook size. I've gone to 1/0 and 25lb floro.
In a heavy swell ocean stay home. It churns the bottom up and they down like sand in the eyes
fish with braid and you a floro bite tippet
i snell the hook
goggle snafu rig blackfish, a double hook setup
your going to get snagged, bring lots of sinkers and hooks
learn how to tie fast, more time with bait on bottom
i use a very simple tie. length on line from swivel, tie loop closer to swivel and leave a long tag end, tie hook on the tag.

the crab you want on the bottom

with the crab,
large ones I cut in half
cut the claws and legs off
other times smash the crab a bit to release juices

a very good blackfish boat is the Ocean Explorer out of belmar.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I only fished for tog once and that was on a party boat in Long Island years ago. I didn't know you can catch blackfish in the bay my boat is in waretown and I usually fish in BI and in the bay surrounding it? Can I catch them in barnegat bay? I don't want anyone's spots just some basic info. I did notice there are some rocks by the lighthouse before you get to the inlet but I don't think you can anchor there maybe I can try drifting over it. I am new to boating so any info will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I only fished for tog once and that was on a party boat in Long Island years ago. I didn't know you can catch blackfish in the bay my boat is in waretown and I usually fish in BI and in the bay surrounding it? Can I catch them in barnegat bay? I don't want anyone's spots just some basic info. I did notice there are some rocks by the lighthouse before you get to the inlet but I don't think you can anchor there maybe I can try drifting over it. I am new to boating so any info will be appreciated. Thanks guys.
From the looks of the reports on BI Inlet, you won't be anchoring up there in the near future. Major inlet overhaul.
I had some spots down in Little Egg, but moved boat to Forked River a few years ago. Haven't found any tog in the bay since I've been up here.

Frank

·
Registered
193 Posts
Frank thank you I read about the inlet project it suck cause that's where I fish Most of the time I have only been to the ocean once and it was 50 yards past the marker still to new at this and am more comfortable in the bay right now anyway.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
There's a very good back bay fishery for tog inside Barnegat bay using the exact same tactics that I employ down south here in cape may county. To avoid have this buried on the second page; I'll post an article thread up here in a minute along with a video of what I use and do.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The dandelions = Tautog in the back bays?....... Then they should be out on the reefs before the dandelions pop out on the lawns ....correct???
It would seem that way, but I'm the wrong person to ask. I do a lot of TOG fishing, all of it from shore. I haven't fished for TOG from a boat in a lot of years. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts