BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy my first high end reel. My question is; I'm looking at getting a VS150 for plugging. It looks like once you move to the VS200 the weight doubles. Can anyone give me there opion is a VS 150 is the right size for me. I will be putting it on a airwave 10 for now until I get a Lami.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'm going to buy my first high end reel. My question is; I'm looking at getting a VS150 for plugging. It looks like once you move to the VS200 the weight doubles. Can anyone give me there opion is a VS 150 is the right size for me. I will be putting it on a airwave 10 for now until I get a Lami.
Just my opinion, but I would think the VS150 to be a little under sized on a 10' rod. I plug with a custom rod built on a 7.5' Lami blank, the VS150 would be the perfect size reel for that rod, or any up to around 8' or 8.5'. On a 10 footer I would lean toward the VS200, but like you said, the weight almost doubles.
This is not to say the 150 wouldn't work assuming you're plugging light tackle, but if you plan to throw large heavy plugs you would be better off going with the 200.
Which ever you decide, good luck....those V.S. reels are fantastic pieces of fishing equipment.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
go to a tackle shop that has vs reels. any good tackle shop will let you put any vs they have on any rod they have in the shop or you can even bring your own rod. that way you can actually feel what it's like and how it balances.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Scoot over to Tackle Direct's new store in Somers Point. They have plenty of VS in stock to try on your rod. The new store is worth the trip anyway and they have a whole wall of plugs n stuff.

I've had my 150 on a 10' rod....it does look small but it still has plenty of capacity for plugging....

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
VS150 for rods up to 9.0 - 9.6 and the VS 200 for rods 9.0 and up. Depends on the rod like most of the guys have said already.

I just recently picked up the Lamiglas SS 91 MHS. I'm using my VS150 with it and its a very sweet combo. I fished it for the later half of the fall.:thumbsup:

Usually in the spring I switch it up to a 10' rod with the VS200. This spring I'm going to start off with the same combo as the fall and see what happens, at least until the bunker show up, then its the VS200 on a longer rod.
(Snag and Drop):D

Best of luck, Lami

·
Registered
391 Posts
First off good choice going with a VS- you won't regret it!!:thumbsup:

Making the decision between a 150 & 200 is not easy- at least it wasn't for me. I researched this topic-even tried putting both on my rods for close to a year. I finally opted for the 150 -2 years ago. I'm happy with my decision because the 150 suits 90% of my fishing. I pair my 150 with a light 8 ft.lami (back bay), 9ft. 1-4 oz penn surf rod, a lami 1201L cut to 9-6 for heavier surf/plugs. The 150 feels great with all these rods and again fits 90% of my fishing. I have 40# braid spooled on there and the 150 can hold well over 250 yrds. of 40# braid and again that's plenty for plugging NJ.

The only 10% of the time I don't like the 150 is when I fish up north- I prefer heavier tackle paired with my 1321L cut to 10-4. On that rod I'm saving for a 250!!

If you get a 150 for plugging- pair it with a lami gsb 1081M sweet combo with plenty of backbone.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Can someone answer me a question: why are you guys matching your reels to your rods? Is it like matching your shoes to your shirt?

You should pick a reel that has the right line capacity for what you'll be doing with it. Going any bigger just gives you extra weight you don't need, and extra weight can make a plugging session much more tiring. The reel doesn't care what rod it's on, and if you think a reel isn't "big enough" for a specified rod, you should see the monster fish that guys catch on fly reels that are the size of a can of Skoal. And if you think your setup is going to look weird, you're in the wrong sport: go buy a can of hair gel and audition for Season 2 of Jersey Shore.

According to the specs, the VS 150 holds 330 yards of 30 lb. braid, and weighs 12 oz. This is plenty of capacity for 99.9% of the surf fishing that's done in Jersey. The VS 200 holds a lot more -- 400 yards of 40 lb. braid -- but this extra capacity comes with weight: it weighs 21.6 oz., almost double a VS150. While 21 oz. is not overly heavy for a plugging reel, you will notice the extra weight after you've been casting and retrieving for a couple of hours.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the 200, because there's one particular outflow I fish where the current can really rip, and I'd be worried about getting spooled with a 150. But if the 150 was big enough for the fishing I did, I'd get it in a heartbeat: you should get the smallest reel that will do what you want it to do.

One more thing: Penn's new super-duper spinner, the Torque, is scheduled to be released on May 1. You may end up getting a VS anyway, but if you have the time, I'd wait to get a look at it before you bought anything. I have a feeling that the new Penn is going to be a very good reel -- and it'll be made in the USA, right in Philadelphia, and will be 100% sealed -- and I wouldn't want to be the new owner of a $700 Van Staal, wishing I had bought something else. I have a hunch that in a few months, the Penn TRQ5 is going to be on my surf plugging rod.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Can someone answer me a question: why are you guys matching your reels to your rods? Is it like matching your shoes to your shirt?
You ever seen a V-8 on a Moped? It's all about balance.

One more thing: Penn's new super-duper spinner, the Torque, is scheduled to be released on May 1. You may end up getting a VS anyway, but if you have the time, I'd wait to get a look at it before you bought anything. I have a feeling that the new Penn is going to be a very good reel -- and it'll be made in the USA, right in Philadelphia, and will be 100% sealed -- and I wouldn't want to be the new owner of a $700 Van Staal, wishing I had bought something else. I have a hunch that in a few months, the Penn TRQ5 is going to be on my surf plugging rod.
Sadly, the Torque is going to be about the same price as a VS from what I've read. I'd rather buy a reel that had the bugs worked out, even if it were $100 more, than buy one that was still untested.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You ever seen a V-8 on a Moped? It's all about balance.
I hear you Simp. There's nothing worse then a small reel on a large rod that is going to end up tip heavy. Work that combo for a while and let me know how your wrist & forearm feels. ;)

Balance, Balance Balance!!!:thumbsup:

Lami

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Wait before you spend $800 dollars on a van staal.

Van Staal is coming out with a new bailed reel ranging in size from the 150 model - 275 model. Its not as durable as the other more expensive van staal reels but if your a person who just hits the beach and doesn't use there rod as a walking stick in the water or a skisher. Buy this reel.

It is going to be listed at $399.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would go with the vs 200. i have one on my go to 10' and it balances great. i was worried about it being to heavy but its not. you wont regret getting it but you might reget getting a 150 and it doesnt end up being big enough for some situations you run it like a trip to montuak:)

·
Registered
791 Posts

maybe the man fish's 9 to 10 ft rods maybe he doesnt plan on buying anything else (not likely)?

my set ups are: vs100 on a 8' rod even put it on a 7' and a 8'6"
vs150 on a arra 1084 sometimes put the vs100 on it.
vs150 on a allstar 1145
vs150 on a allstar 1085-2
vs200 on a allstar 1206
vs250 on a allstar 1266
to me balance is the key.
and yes i built all my rods to the reel because i knew that was the setup
for the type of fishing i do with each rod.

if you are going to fish mainly 9-10 ft rods a vs150 would probably be the best bet.
like i said take your rod to the tackle shop and see which reel works best for you. all the vs have enough line capacity for nj surf fishing. heck surf fishing anywhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I might be even more confused now. I started out using a Shimano stradic 4000 with the 10ft airwave. It was great but I knew if I hooked into a big fish I was in trouble due to line capacity. So I moved up to a stradic 8000. Weight wise the 4000 was perfect. The 8000 is heavy but I was getting by just with a little arm fatigue. I'm not planning on submerging the reel, I just don't want to deal with the sand, the reel getting splashed all the time and the occasional dunk. I am not a big fan of Penn. My uncle work there all of his life and he would even tell you, they just don't make them like the use to. I do however own a Penn international 975 for fluking which I absolutely love. I'm all about buying USA made, but not at the expense of buying junk. Besides, do you think all those little parts are made in the US. Once I made the switch from Penn to Shimano, my reel problems have disappeared. I have 2 baitrunners and they are beasts. No problems at all.
But I do plan on taking some trips to Montauk and I wouldn't want to be undersized for that.
But I'm not real sure why I would be unless it's line capacity. Also remember the airwave is a very light 10ft rod.
I think I have settled on the VS 200.
One more question; is it going to be hard getting used to not having a bail, and what are the advantages to that???

Take a look at my first attempt at making some teasers. What do you guys think? The pics don't do them justice.

·
Registered
531 Posts
One more question; is it going to be hard getting used to not having a bail, and what are the advantages to that???

Take a look at my first attempt at making some teasers. What do you guys think? The pics don't do them justice.
No bail to close prematurely, sending a $20 plug halfway to Scotland.;)
While I don't have a VS yet, I've heard that you'll get the hang of it very quickly.

Nice teasers!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Pimp it is real easy to use a non bailed van staal. I got a good cast with it when i tried my dads friend 200VS up in montauk and it was at night to.

Just remember to spin the line catcher to the opisite side of the reel when you cast or it will get caught and your line may break. Also here is a little trick Lamiglass Mike showed me at Fishermans Supply.

Unhook the line than spin the bail so that the bail is as high it can go than cast, it gets you extra distance when you cast. Apose to if the bail was low.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Unhook the line than spin the bail so that the bail is as high it can go than cast, it gets you extra distance when you cast. Apose to if the bail was low.
That's the key. Get that bail out in front and you'll have no problems.:thumbsup:

Don't know why I said "bail"????? Gettin late I guess. Get that SPOOL out as far as it'll go and you'll be fine. There, that's better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBassJim
That's the key. Get that bail out in front and you'll have no problems.
Well.......Kind aa. The key is.. when you cast your handle should be down. When your handle is down the spool is out. I guess when you are referring to the bail you mean the roller. It does not matter where the roller is as long as the spool is out. Sometimes a VS will come a little messed up. Meaning the handle will be down, but the spool will be in the skirt. If you find this either do not buy the reel or send it back immediately, as the spool should be out of the skirt when the handle is in the down position.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.