BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there Or will there ever be A south jersey shore salt water fly fish club.
I live in ventnor and I never run in to any one fly fishing. I also fish the ventnor pier and those guys don't know what going on when I bring out the fly rod and start catching.
But I need help with casting and tying fly

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Squid,

The SJCFA is a club with members from all over the state, but mostly southern counties (Camden, Gloucester, a few from Cumberland and Atlantic and a couple from Cape May).

Stop by one of our meetings.

By the way, welcome to the Barn.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Don't forget the token PA member!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Squid,
I know exactly what you mean. When I started fly fishing the salt in SJ, I was the only one I saw out there for several years. A lot of times I'm STILL the only one I see around. The local clam chuckers didn't know what the heck I was doing, and the shoobies all asked if I was catching any trout :D . I hit the Longport rocks usually, but now that I moved further south I'll be shore and kayak fishing the Delaware Bay a lot more. Being a local southerner, I know it's a pain driving an hour for the SJCFA meetings, but we meet up there due to many things, and it's still the closest thing around. South Jersey doesn't have the fly fishing community that everywhere north of Barnegat Inlet has, so we take what we can get. Starting and maintaining a club entails a lot of behind-the-scenes work, and since we're still relatively new (only 1 yr old), we work with what we've got. Hopefully someday we'll meet much closer to the beach (possibly this summer, but don't quote me on it), but right now we're still meeting in Sewell.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Squid,
I know that our meetings are not in an optimal location for everyone, but I can promise you that its worth the ride once a month to get to the meetings. The guys in the SJCFA have helped me out a lot over the past year, and I've become half decent at tying deceivers, half & half?s, clousers, and jiggies. I've also improved my casting, and learned a bunch of techniques that have really helped me catch with my fly gear.

We have our monthly meeting and our first swap meet tonight. I hope to see you there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Squid inc.- I know what you mean. Maybe us local folk need to start our own club and we could call ourselves the South Jersey Mainland Fly Anglers (SJMFA). :D I'm just following the oxymoronic logic here. ;)

[ 03-16-2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: PROFINITY ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I will attempt to make your meeting. hope I don't get lost. Is there someone I Should ask for.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Squid I don't know if you made it to our meeting tonight. I met some new members tonight but didn't ask Barn names and the weather made for a smaller turn-out.
If not, hope you make it to next months meeting. The instructions are on our web site SouthJerseyCoastalFlyAnglers.com Any one there will introduce you to our club. I am sure you will find it worth the trip. I come up from Cape May Twice a month. Once for Executive meetings and once more for our monthly meeting. Hope we see you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Squid,

I live nearby in Ocean City and would be happy to give you a hand with casting and tying whenever you want.

I won't be casting for a few more weeks since I broke my arm skiing, but might be able to give you a few pointers.

We should be able to catch some fish as soon as this weather breaks. Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ed, Good to hear from you again...

Squid...as said earlier, we are already hear for ya man! I understand it is a one hour drive, as I make that same commute every day. But if it's a first class fly fishing club you are after, you may find the drive well worth the effort. Almost every guy who came up from the shorepoints is now a member, even if they don't make all the meetings....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Made it as far as hurffville rd. didn't find 541. what kind of building is it?
Ed sorry to hear about your arm.
Hope to hook up with you some day.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If you come down Greentree till Hurfvill Cross keys road, you make a left. As soon as you make the left, you go pst a small pond on your left. The Community Activity Center is next to the pond. Sorry you missed us. Email me if you do not get the directions and I will give you a call and get the straight with you.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Ed, sorry to hear about your arm. I thought skiing is suppose to be a fun thing that you do on the off season. Hope you are back full swing as soon as the weather breaks. Good Luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ray,

Thanks, it was fun until I fell. I get the stitches out tomorrow and hope to find out what the rehab will be.

I might be casting left handed for awhile. It won't be the first time. Can't wait to get started though. Sounds like we all have cabin fever.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Squid,
I got horribly lost the first time I went to the meeting last year, so I know how it feels. Those roads up there are too confusing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts