BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few months of research I have deciced to purchase a Henriques 28. I have compared it to the Carolina Classic And the Albemarle and I think the Henriques is the best overall fit for what I need. I'm looking for an 05' or 06' with twin Yanmar 200's. My deciding factors are quality of construction, base price of boat, fuel economy, and most importantly, stability at anchor. It seems that the Henriques is the most stable with its modified hull design and 14deg. deadrise at the transom compaired to the CC with 24deg. at transom and deep V. I am aware that I'm not going to win any races with the Hen., but I am willing to deal with that in exchange for fuel economy. I am hoping to get any and all opinions on the Hen. from people that own , or have fished this boat offshore. This is my first post on The Barn and it seems that there is a great deal of knowledge and experience here. I am hoping to dismiss any of my concerns on the Hen. before pulling the trigger on what is, for me, a very substantial purchase. Thanks in advance, Tom

·
Registered
827 Posts
Can add much about the 28, but can add about Henriques.

I had an 86 35 Maine Coaster Twin T41 Volvos 250Hp. Owned it for 6 seasons. Not winning any offshore grand prix with that boat either. She was solid as a rock. Get me where ever I wanted and back without fail. Fishabilty second to none. Large cockpit, oversize fish boxes. Henriques is not know for cabin fluff.

Ran a little wild in a following sea is the only bad thing I can say about my Henriques. That boats still running hard out of Manasquan.

Fish Bermuda in July and was slightly surprised to see several of the earlier 80's single screw 35 Maine Coasters doing charters.

2 Buddys have the 38 SF and I have fish both. Boat war wagons. Better fuel economy then my similar BF 40.

Don't ever be afraid to dive into a Henriques.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
im not sure of the models, and have never fished the 28 but i have heard of design problems related to an issue with their gunnels which produced a liabilty for henriques.

i fished a newer 38' for the 1st time this winter and i can say i was not impressed in the least , a marginal day with 3-4' seas and we got beat up badly, 4 very experienced offshore guys agreed it was a terrible ride. it was tough to stand without holding on to something and this is not an exageration, the boat pounded, rocked , and rolled. but again from what i understand the hulls vary and some are much better than others.:huh:

·
Registered
49,944 Posts
after a few months of research i have deciced to purchase a henriques 28. I have compared it to the carolina classic and the albemarle and i think the henriques is the best overall fit for what i need. I'm looking for an 05' or 06' with twin yanmar 200's. My deciding factors are quality of construction, base price of boat, fuel economy, and most importantly, stability at anchor. It seems that the henriques is the most stable with its modified hull design and 14deg. Deadrise at the transom compaired to the cc with 24deg. At transom and deep v. I am aware that i'm not going to win any races with the hen., but i am willing to deal with that in exchange for fuel economy. I am hoping to get any and all opinions on the hen. From people that own , or have fished this boat offshore. This is my first post on the barn and it seems that there is a great deal of knowledge and experience here. I am hoping to dismiss any of my concerns on the hen. Before pulling the trigger on what is, for me, a very substantial purchase. Thanks in advance, tom
i have always been a hennriques fan--get a survey.
No 1 boat has taken more charters offshore since the late 80's then the 44' hennriques the slammer and is still doing it. When capt. Andy owned it he lived offshore and went in some bad weather if he knew he could catch and he almost always did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Henriques 28

Hope this helps;;The modify V is better on fuel but harder on your body in a head sea..The hen will satisfy you in every other sea condition (following;beam). You will need to use a lot of tab in a head sea and the result will be wetter.. Every boat has its compromises. Deep V designs like the CC and Abermarle and blackfin offer a better ride in the ocean but the trade-off is you need more power because you have more hull under the water, burn more fuel; but you are able to maintain speed because the hull is cutting through; not bouncing on top..Ive had both and miss the modify V fuel eco. but love the deep V ride offshore. I guess it depends on where you are going to spend the most time on the water..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice find. Thanks. I havn't seen that one yet. I have to do some research on the 220s. The extra 40hp hopefully may give the boat that little extra that I think it may need.I wonder why they switched to the 200s on the newer models? I am pretty sure they used 180hp. Volvos around 2000.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was considering the 28 Henriques a few years ago and looked at many of them with volvos and most where 200HP. A few boats had Yanmars and I believe they were all 190HP. The 28 is a very nice boat. Check your email.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are most likely right. After looking at so many boats over the past couple of months, some of the specs. tend to blur. For some reason I have 180 stuck in my head that I saw somewhere. I'll have to page through some old listings to see where.

·
Registered
261 Posts
im not sure of the models, and have never fished the 28 but i have heard of design problems related to an issue with their gunnels which produced a liabilty for henriques.

i fished a newer 38' for the 1st time this winter and i can say i was not impressed in the least , a marginal day with 3-4' seas and we got beat up badly, 4 very experienced offshore guys agreed it was a terrible ride. it was tough to stand without holding on to something and this is not an exageration, the boat pounded, rocked , and rolled. but again from what i understand the hulls vary and some are much better than others.:huh:
Have owned a Henriques 38 flybridge for the last 10 years. On drift the boat sets bow forward and does roll a bit. Then again I haven't fished a boat that doesn't roll on drift. As for the ride she can go thru just about anything we have come back from the canyons in 8-10ft and did 17-18 knts the whole way never felt
unsafe. I have found that Henriques have a sweet spot depending upon the sea conditions . Great ride at 21 kts pounding at 23kts so if your pounding you may need to drop it back a bit.It's not a high speed hull with the keel and hull design we have 465 yanmars and that's all the iron this boat ever needs. Flat day full out she will do 28kts but she runs a solid 22-23 kts with a full load. Crap conditions and we run 18-20 and its comfortable. Great boat , great people would buy her again in a heartbeat. I owned a 28 carolina prior to the Henriques. Great boat and hull only problem we had jack shafts to KAMD 42 Volvo's. The Volvo rep in southern Monmouth not set up to deal with this configuration. Nightmare.
If you can get an inboard Carolina that would be a great boat as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I went with a friend last fall to take his 28 from Stone harbor upthe coast to Barnegat to get worked on. We were running into a 3 ft. sea all the way and it beat our brains out. :eek: It was the first time I had been on one and was very disapointed.:(

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
There is a captain with the 28 Henriques who writes great articles for the magazine "The Egge - Big Game Fishing Journal"..the boat name is the Amanda Lee and I think she runs out of long island...that would be the person to get in touch with..his last article was about 2-day canyon trips...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.