BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I have a Potter built 1972 23' SeaCraft with twin 200 HP OX66's. This has been a great boat for me. However, after five years of owning a 23' SeaCraft I am thinking about getting a larger center console. This need is being driven by the fact that I find myself going offshore more and more often.

With 2 college age kids, and my wife wanting a new kitchen I will be dealing with a limited budget (under $50k, if not less). Here are some of the boats that I have been looking at:

31' Contender - I have seen eight to 10 year old 31's with twin OX66's going for between $40k and the mid $50k range.

30' to 32' Jupiters & Intrepids - I have seen these going for a little less than the Contenders.

29' Sea Vee - I see 2000 to 2002 models with twin Merc 225's going for the mid $40k range.

28' Hydra-Sport - I just saw a 2002 with twin 4S yamaha 225's going for $39k and also saw a 2002 with twin Evinrude 250's going for $33k.

27' SeaCraft - I know of a 1986 27' SeaCraft with 2000 250HP 0X66's that is for sale at $25k.

26 Regulators - There are many Regulator's out there for sale in the low to high $40k range. Most of them have twin 200HP HPDI's.

So, here are my questions.
  1. Do any of the above noted boats stand at the top or the bottom (from a ride, construction, performance,fit-n-finish & overall value viewpoint)?
  2. What do you think about the 28' Hydra-Sport and how does it compare against a 26' Regulator? Right now it looks like I can get a 28' HS for about $10k less than a 26' Regulator. This surprised me (but maybe I should not be surprised).
  3. Does anyone have any knowledge of the 28 foot Intrepid walk around? I have seen a few of those around in my price range.
  4. Are there any other boat manufactuers that I should be considering?
Please don't be shy about your opinions.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
So, here are my questions.
  1. Do any of the above noted boats stand at the top or the bottom (from a ride, construction, performance,fit-n-finish & overall value viewpoint)?
  2. What do you think about the 28' Hydra-Sport and how does it compare against a 26' Regulator? Right now it looks like I can get a 28' HS for about $10k less than a 26' Regulator. This surprised me (but maybe I should not be surprised).
  3. Does anyone have any knowledge of the 28 foot Intrepid walk around? I have seen a few of those around in my price range.
  4. Are there any other boat manufactuers that I should be considering?
Peter
Peter,

I would place the hydrasport and and regulator at the top of your list.
i've ridden in both, and both ride much bigger than there actually size. the 26' regulator is one of the best riding center consoles ever built, however I dont see the 10K increase in price over the hydrasport, as with anything you are paying for a name. The hydrasports are also the heaviest boat in almost all of there respective size classes. Contact Adam Bomb , no one runs a 28' hydrasport than he does.

I've ridden on a few really big center consoles, the jupiter is a great ride but the owner had regulators and stated they are much drier.

Don't rule out Pursuit or Southport CC, they are underrated in my opinion but are a top quality boat in all aspects.

The 26' southport is a great looking and riding boat.

good luck in your search Im sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pete stick with yamahas I would get the 31 contender on that short list of boats. My second pic would be the reg but, not much difference between your 23 seacraft and a 26 reg. The 27 seacraft is at my marina and has been very lightly used.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, if I move up I will have to sell the 23' SeaCraft. That will hurt. The boat has an enclosed transom, full flotaiton bracket and nice bolster cushions. I have had this particular boat for three years and I never have had any mechnical issues.

I do love those Yamaha's.

We will see what happens.

BTK, I looked at the SeaCraft (Gere's boat) last fall. At 5,000 pounds dry weight & a 10' beam and a 300 gallon tank it rides much bigger than my current sled. i did not get an iopportunity to take it out in some slop (which I would like to do)

Peter

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Peter,

I like th Reg, gunnel height and no forward fishboxes.
The Southport Zar mentioned has too much freeboard, you'll be ahard pressed to keep the rod in the gimbal belt andswing the fish side to side in the bow. Also,too high of gunnels for my taste. Contender, just not a Cont guy although the seem perform. I know nothing about Jup or INT's.

You fished my boat, imagine going toe to toe with one big BF trying to balance over forward fish boxes. It is a back killer. I and many I know that have the FS models do not like um for hard fishing which I think you do.

If you buy a reg make sure she has the updated bracket. In the case of repower.

If I were buying I'd be prolly going 32 Seavee or a fisharound model. However, with the extinction of Loran I am doing a new garmin sytem as backup to my Navnet with a TR1 AP. I am going to keep the girl a while.. I have lil complaint about my Reg and I fish with the big boats frequently. IMHO, the Reg is your offshore boat if, like me, that is your primary function.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bear

I loved the layout and ride of your boat the day we took it to the claw
Of course it didn't hurt that we had 11 or 12 bft's on that day

Peter

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I live around the corner from that 27 seacraft fin fighter and admire it often. I never see it on the water thou, it looks like it needs to be run. I would take it to the hudson in a heartbeat with 300 gallons.

I say Hydra sports or Regulator. Two boats you can't lose with. Maybe Regulator because of re-sale value??

How much is your old rig going for?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Stamas.... I love mine The 29 has a 10ft 4in beam she holds 300 gallons is very dry. There are some for sale in Ocean city new jersey on the cicle at Waterfront marine.. Not many around up here but those that have them Love em, the other boats you have mentioned are also excellent choices. Good Luck with your search

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Peter,

Glad to see you enjoyed your cod season up north. I made the trek up on saturday night to fish sunday and I commend you on your cold weather toughness. I was cold sunday morning and it wasn't even "cold".

I have little input on the rides as I've only ridden on a 26 reg but I would suggest trying to sell the 23 first.

Just a thought..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Out of all the boats mentioned only one had 4 stroke's. Thats the boat I would go with. Maybe not that particular boat but one with 4 bangers. Being on the *** end of a Hydra sport is a bad thing either.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
k heres my list for a 2nd boat.

1.) 29 regulator (ride and gunnel height)
2.) 32 yellowfin
3.) 29 yellowfin
4.) 29 jupiter
5.) 28 southport
6.) 33 Palmetto (great boat for price, think they are out of bus but buy a used one cheap)

As soon as i pay off the first one I am buying the 29 reg or 32 Yellowfin for nearshore fishing and to take to fl.

·
Registered
837 Posts
you are looking at some choice boats here, it is a pleasure to hear you mention the intrepid 28, its a very unpopular boat, but a hellofalotta of them in florida, and actually around the world. I run a 289 open, recently repowered with f250. its an unreal open fising platform

245 gallons of fuel, 9'1" beam fast and efficient, 2.2mpg at 40mph.
kevlar hull, semi custom built one at a time...if you can find one that is buile to your needs and in your price range, you should seriously consider, it is tough to find negative things about them, yes even on THE INTERNET.. currently on a new one you are waiting 14-18 months, in this market.

as for the above mentioned boats...the 31 contender is not my fav, but a good ride, the 26 reg is prob the best 26ft. boat ever built...seems like every time im on one i gotta check my self that its actually a 26ft boat...the 28hs was on my short list, so i could be sitting here telling you that is the boat to buy!! either way you roll, just make sure you get you some yammies!! we had a few smaller seacrafts in our day, great boats. gotta catch a ride on a southport, not much ever bad mentioned on those,,,not near the platform of my intrepid though, we can jig 5-6 guy with not probs right down the gunnell. if you want a ride..let me know..ill be in the water soon enough

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.